Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Talk Shite (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   3D TVs are coming out now (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f6/3d-tvs-coming-out-now-14800/)

Ansur 03-09-2010 03:53 PM

3D TVs are coming out now

Sumsung just announced their prices, more to come from LG and other companies over the next couple of weeks. So, looking at $2k for the cheapest 46" up to $7K for the top end 55"...and $150 for each pair of glasses to watch 3D.

Who is planning to get one? Do you think it will catch on enough to have 3D TV programming become the norm?

evadwolrab 03-09-2010 05:19 PM

Holy fuck, it's the future.

How long 'til Holodecks? I'm gonna wait 'til TVs can give me a handjob before I upgrade. Until then, 1080p is good enough.

EastTexas 03-09-2010 05:23 PM

I've only seen 2 of the recent 3D movies. I didn't care for it. To me stuff was coming at my face, but it was all blurry.
I wouldn't buy even if the price got down to normal tv prices.

Make a hologram tv type thing where I don't have to wear glasses. That I'd buy.

smcn 03-09-2010 05:23 PM

As far as the technology is concerned, HD has just started catching on (barely) in the last few years. Yet most TV is still 480i, and of the channels that are HD, a majority of the programming is simply upscaled. Many HD-capable devices (Xbox360, PS3) still aren't including HDMI cables. If 3D ever catches on with consumers in a big way, it won't be for at least another decade.

Ant-LOX 03-09-2010 05:54 PM

The last thing I seen in HD was Home Improvement about 15 years ago.

The Dark Knight in 1080p is good for me.

crazyrob 03-09-2010 06:12 PM

2 years I bought a flat panel for 3 times the price the same tv would cost now. I am not making that same mistake again. Besides I already have to wear glasses to fully appreciate HDtv

Ant-LOX 03-09-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoav (Post 638972)
you guys know the world is in 3D right? like.. already... without glasses...cause it is.

Shhh - don't tell them the secret.

DWarrior 03-10-2010 12:51 AM

I haven't seen 3D movies in a while, besides Avatar, but I think aside from the novelty factor, it's actually a pretty bad viewing experience. When a 3d object gets cut off at the bottom because it doesn't fit in the frame, it completely takes me out of the movie, or when an object pops out to be on a background of other people watching the movie (or I presume if I'm watching 3d TV at the house, the movie objects will have a backdrop of stuff around my TV).

Also, at least in the case of Avatar, generally only a specific area of the screen the director wanted to focus on was actually in focus, everything else is blurry. So it's not like in real life where you can focus on some object on the side of the screen, that's just blurry in 3d. Apparently it's possible to remove this focus and make all objects look sharp, but it costs a lot more to film that way.

Not to mention all the 3d objects have a silvery glisten to them, which just looks weird.

Maybe I'll just be an old man not understanding new technology though, who knows. I wonder if there were people against color in film when color recording technology first came out.

spooky 03-10-2010 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWarrior (Post 639028)
I haven't seen 3D movies in a while, besides Avatar, but I think aside from the novelty factor, it's actually a pretty bad viewing experience. When a 3d object gets cut off at the bottom because it doesn't fit in the frame, it completely takes me out of the movie, or when an object pops out to be on a background of other people watching the movie (or I presume if I'm watching 3d TV at the house, the movie objects will have a backdrop of stuff around my TV).

Also, at least in the case of Avatar, generally only a specific area of the screen the director wanted to focus on was actually in focus, everything else is blurry. So it's not like in real life where you can focus on some object on the side of the screen, that's just blurry in 3d. Apparently it's possible to remove this focus and make all objects look sharp, but it costs a lot more to film that way.

Not to mention all the 3d objects have a silvery glisten to them, which just looks weird.

Maybe I'll just be an old man not understanding new technology though, who knows. I wonder if there were people against color in film when color recording technology first came out.

Was this all said in jest, or are you serious?

Junkenstein 03-10-2010 04:00 AM

I would think of the 3d format as tangible when it becomes affordable and, mostly, is backed up by studios and tv channels. If that doesnt happen it could end up as laser discs or other technological improivements that didnt make the jump.

If it does make the jump it would be awesome, even if 3d will never reach the impact that it has on a big screen.

If you think that "all this technology is worthless and you dont like" then please keep listening to cassette tapes and watch movies on Vhs. And please stay there.