Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 03-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #31 (permalink)

I'm a statistician and there are even applications for 3D modeling, especially in genomics.

3D movies give me a headache and make me nauseous - no way will I buy a 3D TV. Plus those glasses make you look like a tard.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:04 AM   #32 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

The headache is caused by poor 3D techniques. It takes a lot of time and money to make perfectly natural 3D movies. Most producers take shortcuts to save time/money.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #33 (permalink)

Why do people think it's "so fucking cool" to use your hands in front of some sort of sensor, wave them around, move em back and forth, in order to browse through options?

Using the remote takes 2 seconds.

Fucking A, the Wii ruined everything.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:19 PM   #34 (permalink)
Aspie...dur...

I saw one at the Union Square Best Buy this weekend. People were fawning all over it. The glasses are active and gave me a headache.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:48 PM   #35 (permalink)

I actually just bought a new 60" 1080p 3D ready tv. It's not the reason I bought it but I figure when the glasses get cheaper than $150 and the 3D bluray players aren't a million dollars maybe I'll buy em.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg downsized_0225002222a.jpg (22.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 03-18-2010, 06:20 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligula View Post
I find THAT appealling; the freedom to move data by just moving my body, and by using much more of my body than just my fingers.

It just appeals to my monkey brain better.
Until I can do shit with a chip in my brain, I'm find moving my mouse and cursor with my hand....I fine moving a finger around much fast than doing the hokey pokey every time I want to change menu options or stab somebody in a video game.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:53 PM   #37 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaligula View Post
Because it's not just that! You'll be able to move windows around, use gestures for commands, and you won't have to touch anything for a lot of casual use.

I find THAT appealling; the freedom to move data by just moving my body, and by using much more of my body than just my fingers.

It just appeals to my monkey brain better.
There was good criticism of these stereotypical futuristic whole-hand controllers: your arms would be tired as fuck. Try to hold your hands out extended for 10 minutes and see how tired you'd get. Imagine waving them around doing motions for 8 hours a day.
Old 03-19-2010, 03:00 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoav View Post
who wants to control things with their brain?

tv's should be controlled by fingering the girl sitting next to you. i don't see why this hasn't been done yet.
What are you doing on the computer? INVENT THAT

Last edited by DudeEMETIB; 03-19-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:12 AM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeEMETIB View Post
Until I can do shit with a chip in my brain, I'm find moving my mouse and cursor with my hand....I fine moving a finger around much fast than doing the hokey pokey every time I want to change menu options or stab somebody in a video game.
IntediX has made the next step towards this. A spelling device controlled by EEG. YouTube - IntendiX - First personal Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) on the market

Emotiv is working on one for gaming: Emotiv - Brain Computer Interface Technology

Now, for any William Gibson fans, I don't know if we'll be netrunning by 2020, but it's possible. This type of interface will also allow control of artificial limbs. Anyone who has kept up with the research of Dr. Kevin Warwick (Cyborg 2.0) ? He has a chip implanted in his arm, connected to his nervous system and was able to control a robotic hand with it.

So, we'll have people using their brains to operate computer software, cybernetics, and of course, all of the work being done on AI. All together, this could allow the creation of an intelligent computer able to control a cybernetic body. And all of this could happen in our lifetime.

While it all sounded like science fiction when we were kids, just think of the applications that could be here in 10 years. Machines capable of independent thought, able to be launched to another planet and explore it without needing someone on earth to be driving it like the Mars rover.

Or you could just mount machine guns and have a T1.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansur View Post
IntediX has made the next step towards this. A spelling device controlled by EEG. YouTube - IntendiX - First personal Brain-Computer Interface (BCI) on the market

Emotiv is working on one for gaming: Emotiv - Brain Computer Interface Technology

Now, for any William Gibson fans, I don't know if we'll be netrunning by 2020, but it's possible. This type of interface will also allow control of artificial limbs. Anyone who has kept up with the research of Dr. Kevin Warwick (Cyborg 2.0) ? He has a chip implanted in his arm, connected to his nervous system and was able to control a robotic hand with it.

So, we'll have people using their brains to operate computer software, cybernetics, and of course, all of the work being done on AI. All together, this could allow the creation of an intelligent computer able to control a cybernetic body. And all of this could happen in our lifetime.

While it all sounded like science fiction when we were kids, just think of the applications that could be here in 10 years. Machines capable of independent thought, able to be launched to another planet and explore it without needing someone on earth to be driving it like the Mars rover.

Or you could just mount machine guns and have a T1.
Great now I'm super excited and scared. Woot!