Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-17-2009, 08:55 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexas View Post
Thanks Pala.
I'd never really thought about it from the percentages angle, that we are just seeing a small sampling of these situations on tape. I see your point and see it a little differently now.

It's probably like any other job or section of society. There are assholes in every group that make the rest of the people in it look bad.
Yep. There are absolutely asshole cops out there, and asshole lawyers and asshole doctors and asshole sales reps and asshole reverends and asshole teachers and asshole unemployed slackers and asshole teenagers and asshole KATG fans. Your perception is skewed by the number of reports or tapes or youtube videos you watch. It simply isn't front page news that here in NH there is a large repaving project going on and there are several police officers here directing traffic around the workers every single night - politely. It won't get a lot of youtube views to show you the last time I was pulled over for doing 40 in a 25. I was very polite, the office was very polite and as I had made a wrong turn and didn't know how to get where I was trying to go, he also wrote down directions for me. No ticket either. Pretty nice guy actually, but who wants to watch that? Very boring. Oh yes, and I didn't get out of the car, kept my hands in clear view and addressed him by name - which I could either read from his nametag or listen to as he introduced himself to me.

I also think part of the problem is this: in the situation where the police have pulled you over or have come to your home - they have a job to do. Most (not all) of them are looking out for trouble and the quickest way to avoid it because they want to go home at the end of their shift to their families or their dog or whatever they go home to. You can certainly make their job more difficult or exercise your rights to civil disobedience - and then you can refrain from bitching about the consequences.

You want less power in the hands of the police? Think about that the next time you blow off that non-presidential election. All those local officials have an effect.

Best thread title ever.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina View Post
So do you just get out of the car when a cop pulls you over? Does he let you play keep away with his hat too?
There are many countries in which a persone pulled over by a cop can reasonably get out from the car. But these are also country where cops dont get shot at everyday. So this cop reaction was perfectly understandable.

Police brutality and abuse of authority are a whole different issue. A little tazing is nothing.
Old 08-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #23 (permalink)

Tasers - because having a conversation takes too long.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:29 PM   #24 (permalink)

The moron got out of the car because she wanted to "review" the tape. Only a crazy person would make such a request. Let's also note that in the process, she abandoned her children by leaving the car.

I think only idiots try to argue their way out of a ticket. Go to court if you think the officer was unreasonable or wrong.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:47 PM   #25 (permalink)

Let's see it from another point of view, shall we? What would you do if you were the one who got tasered?

I have no idea, cause cops here dont have those things. I have been slapped repeatedly by a cop once. I didnt even deserve it that time but i kept my mouth shut.

So what's the right thing to do, internet tough guys?
Old 08-17-2009, 02:50 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
Let's see it from another point of view, shall we? What would you do if you were the one who got tasered?

I have no idea, cause cops here dont have those things. I have been slapped repeatedly by a cop once. I didnt even deserve it that time but i kept my mouth shut.

According to some, the best thing to do is to be as submissive as you can. If you do something, even by accident that makes them think that you're challenging their dominance, you'll get your ass kicked, and it's your own fault. It's pretty much the same advice that applies to coming face to face with a gorilla.

Come on, the majority of our police are better than that and those that aren't should be held accountable, not protected and excused because they're cops. Right now, the few bad apples make the whole force look bad because they're tolerated.
Old 08-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbin View Post
According to some, the best thing to do is to be as submissive as you can. If you do something, even by accident that makes them think that you're challenging their dominance, you'll get your ass kicked, and it's your own fault. It's pretty much the same advice that applies to coming face to face with a gorilla.

Come on, the majority of our police are better than that and those that aren't should be held accountable, not protected and excused because they're cops. Right now, the few bad apples make the whole force look bad because they're tolerated.
But this woman exited her vehicle and demanded to review the video tape. It had nothing to do with dominance.
Old 08-17-2009, 07:14 PM   #28 (permalink)

Location: Gran, you might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something that he does in the sun
Quote:

I don't understand?

if you get tased, you don't have much a choice to anything but lie on the ground in pain
Old 08-18-2009, 06:29 AM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
I don't understand?

if you get tased, you don't have much a choice to anything but lie on the ground in pain
well, after that (but good point anyway). Would you go to the press, sue and complain or shut up and go on with your life?
Old 08-18-2009, 10:04 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
well, after that (but good point anyway). Would you go to the press, sue and complain or shut up and go on with your life?
I think it depends. If I deserved it, I'd slink home defeated.

If it's a case of excessive force, I'd go to the press. And the only way anyone's gong to get press in America is if you sue. I think this was a case of excessive force. This lady was being ornery, but not threatening. She got back in the car when he told her to, and he pulled her out again.

Last edited by marina; 08-18-2009 at 10:23 AM.