Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-19-2006, 02:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

The American View On Tipping

Through the past 7 months I've learned that the more people pay for something the less they want to tip. When a pizza guy delivers pizza it's almost unheard of to not tip them. When I deliver a 700 dollar computer and spend an hour setting it up I don't normally get tipped. When Keith and Chemda do a clown job they get relatively small tips considering the service they provided. I just think that it is strange the way tips seem to be done. Even more surprising is the tiny fraction of people that will offer me a cold beverage when I'm crawling around under their dusty computer desk on a 110 degree day. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I should be tipped 50 dollars for every computer I deliver but even 5 dollars would be nice. On average, when I do get tipped, I'll get 10-15 dollars. I get tipped maybe, maybe, once every 2 weeks. It's simply not right. What are your views on tipping?
Old 07-19-2006, 03:24 AM   #2 (permalink)

Having lived as the "server" I've always felt it should be a tour of duty for all young people. To wait on the assholes, beck and call and so forth.

I adhere to a 20% rule. Deliveries (food, funiture, whatever) and any food services. Drivers (car or boat or any vehicle).

Special services (clowns, magicians etc) 20% Across the board.

Taxi and Bellhop: 2$ per bag

And one that's often forgotten: maid at a hotel: At least $5 per night. That one might be a little low

Woody
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:16 AM   #3 (permalink)

In Denmark, the minimum wage is about $15.12 every waitress will get at least this amount for every hour during the daytime and $21 during night. (Every hourly paid person has 12.5% added as a holyday bonus. This is stated by law, as is the 5 weeks vacation.)
A beer cost between $3.02 and $8.4 depending on the place.
A pizza costs from $8.40 and up. (most places advertise with FREE delivery for purcases exceeding $15.12)

You can not work as an waitress, pizza delivery guy or anything, for less than the minimum wage. The employer can not deny you a basic salary because you will get tipped. The point is, the tipping system is too random. In all fairness, there are no set rules. You don't get tipped for doing your fucking job and you can not complain if people don't tip.

The price is on the bill, that's what you pay. Taxes are included. Always. (taxes are 25% on everything here. Taxes are deductable for businesses)

MY personal rule is .. I tip, if the service calls for it. A meal, served as if I don't exist .. well, guess what .. you don't exist when tipping time comes ..

Oh, make no mistake. People do tip here .. but it's random.
Old 07-19-2006, 08:14 AM   #4 (permalink)

In the UK, we tip taxi drivers, and waiters in restaurants. That's about it. Because we're British there are reservations about offering people tips, i.e. they might get offended - quite often a tip will be refused by someone unused to getting them. Certainly in this country I wouldn't dream of offering a computer guy a tip, I'd assume he was on a decent wage anyway, and he is only doing his job. He might get offered a drink though (cup of tea of course).

When I was in the US, the tipping thing really impressed me, because it seems to give the barman/waitress/whatever an incentive to treat you right.
Perhaps I was just too used to crappy British service, but in every place I received top class service and was generous with my tips as a result. When I asked the guys at the hotel to get me a taxi, they RAN to the main road to flag one down, RAN back alongside the cab to open the doors and put your luggage in. In the UK it would likely be "That's your cab there mate" as they point out a car on the other side of the road.

I would love to see a US-style tipping system introduced here, it would make this country a whole lot better.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwdd27
[snip]
I would love to see a US-style tipping system introduced here, it would make this country a whole lot better.
It would surely change the attitude towards customers. The popular "you are an inconvenience to me"-smile would suddenly disappear.
Old 07-19-2006, 12:38 PM   #6 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

I really see no correllation between the kind of wages a person gets and whether or not they should be tipped. Technically my job consists of taking the computer to someones house and making sure all of the shit works together. More often than not I sit with the customer answering questions for at least 30 minutes and all I get for my effort is a pat on the back and a push out the door. I try to treat customers right because in the long run it is better for business and in turn better for me. I just don't understand how a waiter or pizza guy giving you a 20 dollar meal gets tipped 10-20% but a computer guy spending 2 hours in your house doesn't merit a 5 dollar tip or even a cold beverage.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klang
In Denmark, the minimum wage is about $15.12 every waitress will get at least this amount for every hour during the daytime and $21 during night. (Every hourly paid person has 12.5% added as a holyday bonus. This is stated by law, as is the 5 weeks vacation.)
A beer cost between $3.02 and $8.4 depending on the place.
A pizza costs from $8.40 and up. (most places advertise with FREE delivery for purcases exceeding $15.12)

You can not work as an waitress, pizza delivery guy or anything, for less than the minimum wage. The employer can not deny you a basic salary because you will get tipped. The point is, the tipping system is too random. In all fairness, there are no set rules. You don't get tipped for doing your fucking job and you can not complain if people don't tip.

The price is on the bill, that's what you pay. Taxes are included. Always. (taxes are 25% on everything here. Taxes are deductable for businesses)

MY personal rule is .. I tip, if the service calls for it. A meal, served as if I don't exist .. well, guess what .. you don't exist when tipping time comes ..

Oh, make no mistake. People do tip here .. but it's random.
thats a nice living for a fucking waitress!!!! jesus christ....
Old 07-19-2006, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRay
I really see no correllation between the kind of wages a person gets and whether or not they should be tipped. Technically my job consists of taking the computer to someones house and making sure all of the shit works together. More often than not I sit with the customer answering questions for at least 30 minutes and all I get for my effort is a pat on the back and a push out the door. I try to treat customers right because in the long run it is better for business and in turn better for me. I just don't understand how a waiter or pizza guy giving you a 20 dollar meal gets tipped 10-20% but a computer guy spending 2 hours in your house doesn't merit a 5 dollar tip or even a cold beverage.
a water should be offered... the fucking pizza guy is getting a shit wage and is sending $ back to his gfamily in Mexico... want tips? go deliver pizza
Old 07-19-2006, 01:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanRay
You are suffering fom the disease called "too nice" .. it's very common in IT and you have to stop it.

There is no logic to you problem, but there is treatment. STOP being nice!

Installation of the computer is $50 per half an hour (a number that will pay of in either cash or free time). Otherwise you have other deliveries to do and your boss will hit you if you don't make them fast.

I repeat! QUIT being nice! .. a $700 computer does NOT include installation.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboy
What's the unemployment rate in Denmark?
5.5% (2005 est.)