Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-02-2010, 06:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Android?

I'm sick of Apple holding back on tech and over-charging, so I'm looking into whether I should jump ship to an Android phone (specifically the Samsung Galaxy S as the HTC Evo isn't available in the UK)

Does anyone know of any good videos to show what's good about Android? I'm fairly certain I'm going to sell my iPhone 3G and get it anyway but I want to feel like I've researched it properly!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Android frees you from Itunes. It somewhat ties you to Google Accounts, but only in a way that is useful.

You will have a removable sdcard, removable battery, standard micro-usb cables. You will be able to install apps from any source you wish. This specific phone will be able to run flash content.

Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

That'll be $5.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am enjoying my Android experience. It is a bit new and they have about 6 version of their OS on all the different handsets. Check all the reviews and pay atttention to what your carrier did to roon the phone.

The purist Android geek doesn't want their cell company breaking their phone ( i.e At&T removed google search and replaced it with Yahoo??!!)

Here in Canada the android phones are rare and being messed with by the carriers. So it helps to do a jailbreak kind of trick and root them to run a mod called Cyanogen. This gets you updated software way sooner than the carriers have been able to roll it out.

FYI I run the latest Cyanogen 6 mod on an old HTC Magic that gives me Froyo/Android 2.2. Newer phones like the Galaxy, Droid X and EVO have 1 Ghz CPU's and 2.1 or 2.2 that make them sing. I highly recommend CM mods if you are a geek and do not have 2.1 or 2.2 on your phone. Voice recognition, location based apps, GPS NAV, Multi tasking, photobrowsing and such are INCREDIBLE and FREE. Make sure you try the 3D gallery feature based on CoolIris. Just google the terms for more info.

Here's some info and vids.

For more info and a longer video go here

Google I/O video: Android 2.2 Froyo demo | Android Central

Old 08-02-2010, 10:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerchin View Post
Android frees you from Itunes. It somewhat ties you to Google Accounts, but only in a way that is useful.

You will have a removable sdcard, removable battery, standard micro-usb cables. You will be able to install apps from any source you wish. This specific phone will be able to run flash content.

Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile) Smartphone reviews - CNET Reviews

That'll be $5.
I've sold my iPhone to a recycling company, and I'm buying Samsung tomorrow on next-day delivery, fnar.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

And thanks Tech! I'm excited about a shiny new device!

I'm a bit sad about not having games on my phone, but really they were no better than Flash games with tilt (although some had very pretty artwork).
Old 08-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #6 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech007 View Post

FYI I run the latest Cyanogen 6 mod on an old HTC Magic that gives me Froyo/Android 2.2.
I have a Tmobile G1, aka Dream. I run cm 4.2.15.1 w/ the 10mb hack. I recently tried 5.08, but it was too slow to be my daily driver, and it didn't have enough RAM to listen to KATG in the background on Google Listen.

How is CM6 on your Magic speedwise and memorywise?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evadwolrab View Post
And thanks Tech! I'm excited about a shiny new device!

I'm a bit sad about not having games on my phone, but really they were no better than Flash games with tilt (although some had very pretty artwork).

Android has great games. Try em out. You might like this - when you buy most apps at the Android MArket and uninstall within 48 hours they refund your money auto-magickally !!??

I'm not sure which fnar you meant?

fnar

- The noise of a stifled snigger made by infantile males when confronted with a tenuous "double entendre".

- The sound made during particularly enthusiastic cunnilingnus.

- An exclamation of annoyance and frustration. Normally used when changes of circumstances and factors beyond your control have disrupted plans. Sometimes used in sympathy for someone in the above situation.

- Acronym meaning "For No Apparent Reason".

Last edited by Tech007; 08-02-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flerchin View Post
How is CM6 on your Magic speedwise and memorywise?
Mine is a Magic - FYI - more memory, faster CPU and different radio than the Dream... It's probably only about 20% the speed of an EVO/Droid/X 1Ghz Snapdragon cpu. But I got it brand new in box for $300.

CM makes a special version of CM5.08 optimized for Magic/Dream and it rocks. Is that what you tried? Dream users give it varying reviews. YMMV. Only things missing are Google Earth and Flash. And wifi tethering. USB tethering only for me. For now.

Biggest complaint is poor battery life. Less than a full day when actually using BT, wifi and 3G. So I have chargers everywhere.

Every podcast fan MUST switch to using Google Reader as their podcatcher. Everytime I walk into wifi zones it downloads all the latest podcasts. Then I listen wirelessly on BT headphones/speakers.

I can't wait for newer phone but it's gonna be a while while they de-fragment the OS and handset makers and Canadian retailers catch up.

Last edited by Tech007; 08-02-2010 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

I did NOT know Google Reader did podcasts?!

Fuck iTunes! Now I have to go media player shopping too!
Old 08-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evadwolrab View Post
I did NOT know Google Reader did podcasts?!

Fuck iTunes! Now I have to go media player shopping too!
Google app "Listen" is all you need.

WAIT! no add this one too.

It's a manual install, in Beta but you can listen to KATG live on the bus or on top of a mountain. It's way too cool to feedback while in a tree. he he he.

I use Meridian for music playback.