Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-26-2006, 07:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Another Myspace "Victim"

I'm sick of people saying that this is solely the responsibility of Myspace, as if the moment Myspace no longer exists, no moron little kids are going to go out and fuck around where they shouldn't be. Thirteen year old girls think everything is this great big romance; they're dipshits! It's why screwing with them is just not a good idea all around. Anyway, even thirteen year olds in Wisconsin are stupid enough to run away with guys they meet on Myspace.

13 year old missing

Girl Left East Towne Mall With 3 Older Men

POSTED: 5:45 pm CDT July 25, 2006

MADISON, Wis. -- A Madison mother is urging other parents to monitor their children's Internet activities after her 13-year-old daughter met a man online and went missing.

WISC-TV reported that police have not launched an all-out search for the girl because at this point there is no evidence that a crime has been committed.

But the girl has not been seen since 3 p.m. Monday afternoon when friends said she left East Towne Mall with three older men.

Jenni Polensky noticed that her daughter Kayla last accessed her MySpace.com Web site on Tuesday, meaning that she is out there somewhere.

"At least she's still alive. We just don't know where she is, but we're working on it," Polensky said.

She last spoke with her daughter Monday afternoon. Kayla was at East Towne Mall with friends and the agreement was that her mom would pick her up at 6 p.m.

"And she said OK, and I said, 'I love you,' and she said, 'I love you,' and that was that," Polensky said.

Kayla's friends told her mom that Kayla left with three men including one she said she met online. Her mom logged onto Kayla's MySpace page and found that she had been corresponding with a man who said he is 19.

"She acts big and tough, like she's their age but she's not. Well, she's got a whole different persona online, a whole different kid I didn't even know existed," Polensky said.

Polensky called the police Monday evening.

"They came over. They said they would file a runaway report," she said.

Police get five to 10 calls involving missing teens a night, WISC-TV reported.

"It is being reviewed, and an officer took a report, which is being reviewed by a supervisor, and will be distributed to a detective for follow-up," said Mike Hanson, a public information officer with the Madison Police Department.

There is no indication Kayla has been victimized, but these kinds of online hook-ups are a growing concern for state officials.

"Unfortunately, over the last couple of years, in just this department we've arrested 300 sexual predators who, through Internet contact, lured a kid for a meeting and had illicit contact of some sort with that child," said Michael Bauer of the attorney general's office.

At this point, Kayla's mother said she believes her daughter went willingly with whoever she is with -- but that doesn't make it any easier.

"I just got to know she's OK," Polensky said.

Polensky called the WISC-TV News Center Tuesday evening to report that her daughter has now contacted her and said she is coming home.

It's the news Polensky had been hoping and praying for, for more than 24 hours.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

"A Madison mother is urging other parents to monitor their children's Internet activities after her 13-year-old daughter met a man online and went missing."

It happens even when a parent thinks she's keeping the best tabs on her kids. It's not Myspace's fault, and thank this mother for not placing idiot blame on it. This could have easily happened with those old party line phone numbers, or even in a passing at the mall.

I'm not placing blame on the mother or the friends, but there were things that they could have done to prevent this. Parents need to do a better job of explaining life to their kids. Sure, everyone knows the axiom "Don't talk to strangers", and that's a good foundation (and about all a 4 year old can remember), but when the child gets older, you need to expand on the idea. Many parents don't do that. Mine didn't, but I was smart enough to figure it out myself.

This girl may not even think of this guy as a stranger, if she's conversed with him for a while. She'd insist that she "knows" this guy, and she'll go with him voluntarily. This is where the friends need to step in. It's not so simple as "Well, she knows this guy...". Even if this guy's 19, that's still much older than she should hang with. She's in Junior High, he's in College.

I know that my parents weren't the best at breaching subjects with their children. It's very nerveracking when you have to breach uncomfortable subjects. My father didn't have the "sex" discussion with me until I was 16, and had taken health class for three years. The only advice he could give me then was "Don't make the same mistake I did". When he was 16, he impregnated my mother which resulted in my birth. I had to figure it out on my own before he even talked to me. 16 is way too late for that discussion. Drug and tobacco discussions didn't start until I was 18 and already smoking. Too late for that, too. There is no right time to talk about it, but there definitely is a wrong time to talk about it.

If you have a girl, you need to talk about it THAT much more. Even if your little girl is unattractive, she'll still have situations like this, possibly even more so (Unattractive girls can be easier, because their self-esteem is low). Tell her who you trust her to be around, make it clear.

Make her comfortable with bringing her friends to meet you. If you know her friends, then you'll feel more comfortable with her being with them. Make sure she knows that. Let her know that you value her independence, but let her know that you'll feel more comfortable if you know who she's with. If you start this early, she'll be more likely to do it into her teen years.

Even with all that, something like this could happen easily. However, if you do a better job of instilling values in her, her choice to go along with that older guy will have a better chance of her staying with her friends.

But it's definitely not Myspace's fault or responsibility. Blaming Myspace is like blaming the alleyway for the thief that's hiding in it.

---Hey, you changed your avatar! Is that Rogue from X:Men Evolution?

Moral Number 4: The answer, my friend, is blowing in the wind. Except in New Jersey, where what's blowing in the wind smells funny.

http://twitter.com/benjitathesane
http://www.facebook.com/benjitathesane

Last edited by benjita; 07-26-2006 at 08:33 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

this is why i don't have a MySpace
Old 07-26-2006, 09:45 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step-brother fucker
this is why i don't have a MySpace
Good for you. You just earned more respect points.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvh
You have THAT haircut and you DON'T have a myspace account?
That's exactly what I was going to say. You either have a MySpace account or you stole that picture from someone who does.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:14 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubby
That's exactly what I was going to say. You either have a MySpace account or you stole that picture from someone who does.
SBF is a chick. I think that picture is of a guy. /shrug
Old 07-26-2006, 11:17 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcatacat
SBF is a chick. I think that picture is of a guy. /shrug
I learned that right after I posted. Sorry, brotherfucker, but here's the breakdown:

"brother" in username
+
a picture of some dude in avatar
+
90% male listeners
=
I thought you were some sad emo boy. My apologies.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjita
---Hey, you changed your avatar! Is that Rogue from X:Men Evolution?

Yeah, I needed a change. Rogue kicks ass. Rogue from the actual comics though....the movie Rogue is a damned pussy. Where is her super-strength? Why can't she fly? These are things that bother geeks like me!

Oh, and someone needs to inform me. I keep seeing "Emo" referred to all the time but I'm not sure what it is. It has something to do with music, but that's all I've got. Is it really big right now?
Old 07-26-2006, 11:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvh
You have THAT haircut and you DON'T have a myspace account?
HAHA that's exactily what I was thinking! +1 benvh EDIT: this is why I should read all the post before commenting... cubby

Last edited by conradsmiley; 07-26-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzgal
Yeah, I needed a change. Rogue kicks ass. Rogue from the actual comics though....the movie Rogue is a damned pussy. Where is her super-strength? Why can't she fly? These are things that bother geeks like me!

Oh, and someone needs to inform me. I keep seeing "Emo" referred to all the time but I'm not sure what it is. It has something to do with music, but that's all I've got. Is it really big right now?
"Emo is a broad title that covers a lot of different styles of emotionally-charged punk rock."

As for Rogue, apparently somewhere along the way, she absorbed someone's power that didn't go away completely and left her able to fly and have super strength. The movies have her young, so I assume that it's before that absorption.

See what I get when I have free time at work? Wiki-surfing:

"Early in her career, Rogue permanently absorbed the powers of Ms. Marvel, gaining superhuman strength, flight, near-invulnerability, and a "seventh sense". When she was recently depowered, she lost these and while her natural absorption power returned, her Ms. Marvel-spawned powers did not."

Last edited by benjita; 07-26-2006 at 11:31 AM.