Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

That would be a GREAT idea.

Weed takes the ugly edge off of things.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Location: not in a house, not with a mouse, not here or there, not ANYWHERE
this just kinda pissed me off. seriously? you're on meds now? i was on antidepressants because i had a home invasion complete with sexual assault and not long after that one of my kids died and that was followed with a pregnancy with the worst postpartum depression that included multiple suicide attempts. that, to me, warranted meds. you being socially awkward and not being able to find a girlfriend because you don't wanna grow up and take control of your life and your issues (getting on meds is not what i mean) does not get solved with meds!! grrr....i'm gonna go get a second piece of pie
Old 08-30-2010, 02:54 PM   #13 (permalink)

For all the times I've stirred the shit in the other thread, I'd put a nugget in an envelope and mail it to Dr. Sleep if he would report back to us as to the results of smoking it
Old 08-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #14 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I think it's not his fault, he probably just went to a therapist aand got tricked into a prescription. Those guys are the puppets of pahrma companies and drop meds at the first sign of trouble, especially if there's someone willing to pay them (they're not cheap)
Old 08-30-2010, 03:00 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I think it's not his fault, he probably just went to a therapist aand got tricked into a prescription. Those guys are the puppets of pahrma companies and drop meds at the first sign of trouble, especially if there's someone willing to pay them (they're not cheap)
that, i get. but at what point does one's common sense kick in? at some point, shouldn't we, as grown-ups, think for ourselves? oh...yanowhat? nevermind

*slowly backing away from this thread, too*
Old 08-30-2010, 04:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

I have been on zoloft. It worked a bit to pick me up, but it wasn't what I PERSONALLY needed. I agree with you in that when there are shitting things in your life, you feel shitty and act shitty, and when those things are fixed/changed, some of that goes away.

BUT, if you are to the point where you've been recommended meds, it's going beyond that. Just because you're on these meds, doesn't mean that you're going to be happy go lucky. They will HELP. That's all they're meant to do. They're not a cure, and don't expect them to be. They don't work straightaway, either. It takes about 3-4 weeks for them to build up in your system for you to notice a strong effect, and sometims you need to up your dosage to get an effect.

Please, PLEASE, from my personal experience, heed this. DO NOT, after being on them, quit cold turkey. You can/probably will crash, and it's likely you'll deal with even deeper depression than before, because your brain will be used to that happy influx of chemicals.

Feel free to pm me for any more information (not like I'm a fuckin' expert, but I've dealt with this shit a lot.)

And seriously... Think about smokin' up. I was really against it until I tried it. That shit is awesome.
Old 08-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmilf25 View Post
this just kinda pissed me off. seriously? you're on meds now? i was on antidepressants because i had a home invasion complete with sexual assault and not long after that one of my kids died and that was followed with a pregnancy with the worst postpartum depression that included multiple suicide attempts. that, to me, warranted meds. you being socially awkward and not being able to find a girlfriend because you don't wanna grow up and take control of your life and your issues (getting on meds is not what i mean) does not get solved with meds!! grrr....i'm gonna go get a second piece of pie
First off, I'm sorry that all that stuff happened in your life. That sounds incredibly hard to cope with.

But why are you mad that he's on medication? People DO suffer from depression, that have been through none of what you've been through, and it doesn't all have to stem from trivial things. Yes, dr. sleep is a douche, and he's a little whingy about not having a lady, but that doesn't mean there aren't other things going on in his life that can contribute to depression/unhappiness, and therefore warrant meds.

With all due respect, just because you dealt with MORE, doesn't mean he doesn't have cause to need meds.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:11 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconis View Post
First off, I'm sorry that all that stuff happened in your life. That sounds incredibly hard to cope with.

But why are you mad that he's on medication? People DO suffer from depression, that have been through none of what you've been through, and it doesn't all have to stem from trivial things. Yes, dr. sleep is a douche, and he's a little whingy about not having a lady, but that doesn't mean there aren't other things going on in his life that can contribute to depression/unhappiness, and therefore warrant meds.

With all due respect, just because you dealt with MORE, doesn't mean he doesn't have cause to need meds.
it's not necessarily him that i'm mad at, it's moreso the over-prescribing of anti-depressants. although i do feel as if people, including him are sometimes too willing to accept medication as a solution to their problems. after reading his threads, and not that i'm a dr. or anything either, and i don't even know him personally, i don't think that medication is the answer. talking through his issues with a licensed professional? yes. taking a life/brain altering drug that may have more side effects than positive effects? *shrug* ...i dunno
Old 08-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Never had to take any mood altering meds myself but I have two friends that took and still take lowered doses and they really helped especially for social anxiety and depression.

You claim you were in therapy for quite a while now and I haven't read anything that makes me think it helped you lots so maybe drugs are the answer - try it keep an eye on how it affects you and start arguing with the doctors if they want to increase the dose too much/fast.

And btw I completely agree with Draconis - drugs can help and just because you found the strength in yourself and had the support from friends and family to get through this horrible ordeal - others need more help and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 08-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #20 (permalink)

I've had a few friends and acquaintances who have taken it. One of them completed suicide. If you ever for any reason have suicidal thoughts while taking Zoloft, CONTACT SOMEBODY IMMEDIATELY. If you have been suicidal in the past, watch out for this even more.