Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-30-2010, 07:09 PM   #21 (permalink)

I am on 75mg of zoloft a day (50 in the morning/25 at night) This dosage system was just switched because I was not sleeping. I told my dr this and he suggested changing the way i took the meds...

When I first started seeing my therapist, I told her I didn't want to take ANY meds & she said ok... I went an entire year before I felt like the subject needed to be revisited. I had a psych evaluation & was put originally on only 50 mgs, to be bumped up after 6 months to 75mg.

Why am I telling you this? I'm telling you this because COMMUNICATION is key when dealing with therapy &/or mental health drugs. If you feel that your therapist is not helping or challenging you enough to have you move forward, CHANGE YOUR THERAPIST. Same with shrinks... I went to 3 different shrinks before I found one that actually listens to me and doesn't hand out pills like a pez dispenser.

As for what Zoloft does for me... it helps me think more clearly. I felt like I had cobwebs in my brain and this small dose helps clear them. Do I still have my "yep ain't getting out of bed" days? Sure I do.... But do I have so many fewer of them? Yep I sure do!!! It's not magic and it's not for everyone and there are side effects (insomnia & not interested in sex were big ones for me) but those did subside after a month or two. Melatonin helped with the lack of sleep & as for the lack of sex.... ok that sucked but it passed lol

Point is if you, your therapist & your shrink work together, you can find a balance that helps you move forward in finding out what's really going on

BTW about 8-9 yrs ago, I was in a BAD relationship & my mom was dying of cancer, I went to the same therapist & a different, but just as good shrink. (she doesn't take my insurance or i would have gone back to her) They had me on 200mg of zoloft, the highest dose one can take.... I made it thru and was slowly taken off it. It's doesn't have to be a forever thing

I wish you blessings!!!!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:12 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmilf25 View Post
it's not necessarily him that i'm mad at, it's moreso the over-prescribing of anti-depressants. although i do feel as if people, including him are sometimes too willing to accept medication as a solution to their problems. after reading his threads, and not that i'm a dr. or anything either, and i don't even know him personally, i don't think that medication is the answer. talking through his issues with a licensed professional? yes. taking a life/brain altering drug that may have more side effects than positive effects? *shrug* ...i dunno
I agree that anti-depressants are completely over-prescribed. What people need to realise is that there are other options out there for people dealing with depression. Not that medications should be considered a LAST option, but there's therapy, support groups, exercise (which releases endorphines), and I'm sure other options. Chemical support wasn't my first choice (I actually fought taking it, despite several hospitalisations due to depression), but in the long run, it ended up being the thing that helped me jump-start myself the most. Sometimes, medication is the thing that gives you the lift you need to get the ball rolling to make the changes in your life that enable your happiness.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:20 AM   #23 (permalink)

My grandmother works at a clinic and so I'm vaguely familiar with several types of medication (and have taken a few just for kicks). While I'm basing my opinion just on what you've said on this forum, your thread, etc. I don't see how the hell you got prescribed Sertaline. Tell your doctor that you're worried about the suicide risk or something, or that you've heard from enough people about its particular bad side effects. I associate that more with the treatment of people with serious fucking issues. Not you. Not to belittle what you're going through which I can understand feels rough and sucks, but that's for people with serious depression and OCD (like what Junk was mentioning) and PTSD like what missmilf described.

Ask your doctor/therapist about Lexapro (brand)/Escitalopram (generic), I would think that could better suite your situation. I've taken it (not prescribed it) and I'll tell you, sometimes I get panic attacks, sometimes I get these long depressed moods filled with anxiety cause I'm worried about my bag of issues...and that stuff works like a charm. It really helps me think straight, kind of forget about my issues, not in a "they don't exist" way, but in a "let's just be rational and clear" way...helps A LOT with anxiety.

Anyway, hey man, don't worry about getting to reliant on the meds. Use them properly and keep in mind that they are to help YOU resolve your problems. They'll keep you sane enough that you can tackle the issues at hand, once you've done that, you can get off them, and stay in good shape.

Seriously though, ask about Lexapro. I don't want you on Zoloft and then one day you start to freak out about not having fucked and killing yourself. ASK YOUR DOCTOR, Doctor.

Secretary of State,
KATG Film Club
Old 08-31-2010, 02:44 AM   #24 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmilf25 View Post
that, i get. but at what point does one's common sense kick in? at some point, shouldn't we, as grown-ups, think for ourselves? oh...yanowhat? nevermind

*slowly backing away from this thread, too*
The way I read the first post, Sleepy was in a pretty heavy quandary between what his common sense is telling him (drugs shouldn't be the answer) and what people who are suppose to be in a position of power and guidance are recommending (take the drugs). If you know you have a very distorted view of the world and want to fix it, how to you know how to react to what your special, admittedly distorted view is telling you?

Pretty much the definition of thinking for ones self.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:09 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeEMETIB View Post
My grandmother works at a clinic and so I'm vaguely familiar with several types of medication (and have taken a few just for kicks). While I'm basing my opinion just on what you've said on this forum, your thread, etc. I don't see how the hell you got prescribed Sertaline. Tell your doctor that you're worried about the suicide risk or something, or that you've heard from enough people about its particular bad side effects. I associate that more with the treatment of people with serious fucking issues. Not you. Not to belittle what you're going through which I can understand feels rough and sucks, but that's for people with serious depression and OCD (like what Junk was mentioning) and PTSD like what missmilf described.

Ask your doctor/therapist about Lexapro (brand)/Escitalopram (generic), I would think that could better suite your situation. I've taken it (not prescribed it) and I'll tell you, sometimes I get panic attacks, sometimes I get these long depressed moods filled with anxiety cause I'm worried about my bag of issues...and that stuff works like a charm. It really helps me think straight, kind of forget about my issues, not in a "they don't exist" way, but in a "let's just be rational and clear" way...helps A LOT with anxiety.

Anyway, hey man, don't worry about getting to reliant on the meds. Use them properly and keep in mind that they are to help YOU resolve your problems. They'll keep you sane enough that you can tackle the issues at hand, once you've done that, you can get off them, and stay in good shape.

Seriously though, ask about Lexapro. I don't want you on Zoloft and then one day you start to freak out about not having fucked and killing yourself. ASK YOUR DOCTOR, Doctor.
In my experience, Zoloft/Sertraline seems to be the 'introductory' anti-depressant that is used to determine if drugs even help. If they do, good, if not, usually another is prescribed, and it moves on from there. I was on Sertraline for a long fuckin' time, and it helped a little, but not that much.

I wouldn't describe it as a major medication at all. I mean, obviously it works for some, but only to about the extent as any other medication would work for the person that's compatible with it.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:45 AM   #26 (permalink)

Thanks everyone for all the great feedback.

People are saying that my perceptions sound too high for what I have. If these drugs are meant for what people say they are meant for I can understand why my doctors prescribed them.

I did make mention of suicidal thoughts, that is why I started going to therapy. I was in the library and when I left though the door there was a cute girl (the mousy with glasses type that I'm really into) on the other side of the same door and we each pushed in on the same time canceling each other out and we look at each other though the glass and smile and laugh a bit until i pull and hold the door open for her. I thought "Wow, almost 6 months since the last time I talk to a girl and thats the best interaction Ive had with one in that time...i give up" and I seriously thought of just walking to the top of the parking deck and flinging myself off onto the pavement. So I went to class and then went to the counseling center afterward.

I only say this beacuse they said that its one thing to want to kill yourself, but its another step up if you actually had a plan for how you were going to do it.

As for the other drug I mentioned that I have light symptoms of a panic attack and immediately leave social situations if I feel pressure. (for example, what I thought was just going to be a regular Halloween school party was really like a "dance" dance and everyone was with a date and seeing all those couples...i just couldn't take it and had to leave immediately. I don't think I have "panic" attacks per say, but those were the symptoms I had in social things (but I'm not having to breath in a paper bag or something like that)

That one isn't meant to be taken for regular days, its meant to be taken before a social situation or something.
Old 08-31-2010, 10:55 AM   #27 (permalink)

Don't kill yourself doc, you've got a thick shell of insecurity, and it'll be hard to break out of it, but you've still got time to do so and you're getting help, which is very good. Once you finally start scratching your way out of it, I'm sure you'll find yourself a happier person and interaction with women, and other people in general will come a lot easier. I'm sure at the core, you're somewhere between a decent and pretty cool dude. And as cliche as it may sound, there is someone out there for you, as a partner, and there'll be plenty people out there to be your friend.

Life can be the biggest piece of shit sometimes, you can be thrown obstacles out the wazoo, but it'll get better, even if it takes a whole year, or more, it'll get better. Once it does, you'll be glad you stuck in, and you'll feel stupid for ever having had thoughts of suicide.

Right now, focus on fixing your problems, like I'm sure you have been. That's the most important thing, let me ask you...how's your relationship with your parents, do they know about your issues? It may seem weird to go to them for support when you're no longer a little kid, but having a net of people who can back you up through any situation is arguably the most important thing once can have...so if they're not involved in your getting better, assuming you're cool with them, try to make them involve, you don't need to tell them everything...just basic stuff like "I'm depressed, I have trouble with anxiety, I'm getting help, I might need your support through this" it'll be a shit ton helpful for you in the long run knowing someone else really cares.
Old 08-31-2010, 11:53 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeEMETIB View Post
Don't kill yourself doc, you've got a thick shell of insecurity, and it'll be hard to break out of it, but you've still got time to do so and you're getting help, which is very good. Once you finally start scratching your way out of it, I'm sure you'll find yourself a happier person and interaction with women, and other people in general will come a lot easier. I'm sure at the core, you're somewhere between a decent and pretty cool dude. And as cliche as it may sound, there is someone out there for you, as a partner, and there'll be plenty people out there to be your friend.

Life can be the biggest piece of shit sometimes, you can be thrown obstacles out the wazoo, but it'll get better, even if it takes a whole year, or more, it'll get better. Once it does, you'll be glad you stuck in, and you'll feel stupid for ever having had thoughts of suicide.

Right now, focus on fixing your problems, like I'm sure you have been. That's the most important thing, let me ask you...how's your relationship with your parents, do they know about your issues? It may seem weird to go to them for support when you're no longer a little kid, but having a net of people who can back you up through any situation is arguably the most important thing once can have...so if they're not involved in your getting better, assuming you're cool with them, try to make them involve, you don't need to tell them everything...just basic stuff like "I'm depressed, I have trouble with anxiety, I'm getting help, I might need your support through this" it'll be a shit ton helpful for you in the long run knowing someone else really cares.
Thanks, I don't think ive felt anything past psycho-sematic (you know you took it so your brain makes you think its doing something) effects with the zoloft, but the Lorazepam deff. did something to me, made me feel like a zombie and my bad thoughts were near consant, then again I was really tired, maybe i will give it one more try (I took it without it being behind a social thing it was just a normal day so nothing was going on, I have plans for wendsday. night so I will try it then, if its bad again Im off it.)

No, I have not told my parents about any of this. They don't know about the therapy, the depression, the pills, any of it. My mom takes Prozac and some other drug but my dad isn't on anything. My mom has had a few "episodes" while I was growing up and had to be hospitalized a few times. I'm thinking of telling my dad about my pills, i don't want to tell my mom beacuse I don't want her to think that its her fault beacuse her genes might be the thing that made me crazy (I don't think they are). But my parents are still together and I know I have a much happier family life then most and I'm very thankful for that.

I'm just worried to tell my parents because (and I know I'm wrong in saying this but its the only thing I understand) its still over my lack of connection or intamacy with women and It just makes me feel like such a pussy beacuse I can't get a girl yet.

PS. I think some people asked earlier about weed, nope, never in my life, I think I got a contact high at ozzfest once but thats about it. Just not for me, I don't have any problem with it and I totally think it should be legal but I never really felt a compulsion to do it and ive never been around people who really did it. My favorite band is Pink Floyd and my favorite movie is 2001 if I can enjoy those sober I can't imagine how insane I would go if i experianced them on pot.

PPS. LOL I think the most uplifting and ironic thing in all of this is that considering how much I thought I hated myself I'm amazed that I'm still afraid of the pills killing who I am inside.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #29 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Are these pills really meant to be taken only every once in a while when you feel like it? I always thought you need to build them up in your body and maybe even wait a time till they have a noticable effect.
Obviously if your doctors told that's how you use them - fine but don't play around with prescription meds please

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsleep View Post
Thanks, I don't think ive felt anything past psycho-sematic (you know you took it so your brain makes you think its doing something) effects with the zoloft, but the Lorazepam deff. did something to me, made me feel like a zombie and my bad thoughts were near consant, then again I was really tired, maybe i will give it one more try (I took it without it being behind a social thing it was just a normal day so nothing was going on, I have plans for wendsday. night so I will try it then, if its bad again Im off it.)
Oh and if you feel like everybody else is too stupid to understand you when you use slightly more complex terminology like "psychosomatic" and you need to explain them to us you might want to google how they are spelled
Old 08-31-2010, 12:47 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorsleep View Post
I'm just worried to tell my parents because (and I know I'm wrong in saying this but its the only thing I understand) its still over my lack of connection or intamacy with women and It just makes me feel like such a pussy beacuse I can't get a girl yet.
You are embarrassed. Kid, lots of shit is going to make you embarrassed, but you have to take care of it anyhow. Chances are they won't make you feel near as bad as you're afraid they will. Suck it up and give them a chance not to reproach you.

Last edited by Sparrow; 08-31-2010 at 12:51 PM.