Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree41Likes

Old 05-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickPound View Post
I imagine it's hard for you to find work with people's misconceptions, what does it usually take to get your foot in the door?
It's very hard. I went for an interview at the University Of Phoenix, working in their call center. Had a nice long interview, I had past experience in call centers, I showed them how I could do everything, I had good references, and still got the rejection letter...On my birthday.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:06 PM   #92 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bebe View Post
Jim, do you have a wooden leg or a eye-patch? Arrrgh me hearties!

But seriously, how come no prosthetics at all, even on the leg? It's really easier not to?
They would just get in the way. With no 'stump' to fit the prosthesis onto the movement would be limited. They would serve a more aesthetic purpose. I'm not ashamed of how I look so I see no reason.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #93 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoArmsJames View Post
It's very hard. I went for an interview at the University Of Phoenix, working in their call center. Had a nice long interview, I had past experience in call centers, I showed them how I could do everything, I had good references, and still got the rejection letter...On my birthday.
1. Were you offended by my "foot in the door" comment because it's offensive or because it's a terrible pun and wasn't funny?

2. Isn't there some kind of program where employers get some portion of your wage paid by the government? That way employers save $ and you get a leg up on the competition.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:10 PM   #94 (permalink)

Quote:
1. Were you offended by my "foot in the door" comment because it's offensive or because it's a terrible pun and wasn't funny?

2. Isn't there some kind of program where employers get some portion of your wage paid by the government? That way employers save $ and you get a leg up on the competition.
I'm offended because it was unfnny, however your leg up comment just redeemed you.

I don't think there is any program like that.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:16 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm offended because it was unfnny, however your leg up comment just redeemed you.

I don't think there is any program like that.
I know there is where I live (Canada), it seems a shame there wouldn't be one there. But being in Arizona it doesn't surprise me. If it doesn't benefit the silverhairs, nothing passes.

What about being a "virtual assistant"? I'd rather hire you than some guy from India because I know your English will be 100%.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:21 PM   #96 (permalink)

Quote:
I know there is where I live (Canada), it seems a shame there wouldn't be one there. But being in Arizona it doesn't surprise me. If it doesn't benefit the silverhairs, nothing passes.

What about being a "virtual assistant"? I'd rather hire you than some guy from India because I know your English will be 100%.
Canada > US

Are you offering me a job?
Old 05-30-2008, 03:22 PM   #97 (permalink)

The 2008 DiversityInc Top 10 Companies for People With Disabilities
By the Editors of DiversityInc. Date Posted: May 27, 2008

This very important list is calculated differently from most of the other demographic lists because we do not have real demographic data on these companies--many people with disabilities do not self-identify. We ascertain this list by factoring in the questions we ask about people with disabilities, such as whether the company actively recruits them and has employee-resource groups for them. We also examine work/life benefits that help this population, such as telecommuting and flex time. We factor in whether the company has vendors owned by people with disabilities and/or veterans with disabilities. And we separately examine each company's web site for images of people with visible disabilities and content on reaching all people with disabilities as employees, suppliers and customers.

Consider these facts about this top 10 list:

· All of them have specific programs to recruit employees with disabilities, compared with 88 percent of the Top 50
· They all offer the ability to work at home and/or telecommute, as do all of the Top 50
· They all offer job sharing, as do 80 percent of the Top 50
· Eighty percent of them offer alternative career tracks for those with long-term family-care issues, as do 56 percent of the Top 50
· All of them have employee-resource groups for people with disabilities, as do 71 percent of the Top 50

Here are these top 10 with a relevant fact about each of them:

No. 1: IBM, No. 9 on The 2008 DiversityInc Top 50 Companies for Diversity® list. Also one of the Top Global Diversity Companies, No. 2 on the Top 10 Companies for Asian Americans and No. 1 on the Top 10 for LGBT Employees.

With 77 percent of its managers participating in mentoring programs, IBM clearly takes a nurturing role toward its employees, including those with visible and non-visible disabilities. The company has a supplier-diversity component aimed at people with disabilities.

No. 2: Eastman Kodak Co., one of DiversityInc's 25 Noteworthy Companies. Also No. 6 on the Top 10 for LGBT Employees.

A longtime champion of people with disabilities, Kodak has first-rate work/life programs, including a confidential 24/7 Lifeworks & Referral Service. The company also has developed strong supplier-diversity relationships with vendors owned by people with disabilities and veterans with disabilities.

No. 3: PepsiCo, No. 28 on the Top 50. Also one of the Top Global Diversity Companies and No. 4 on the Top 10 for LGBT Employees.

The company has a strong employee group called Different Abilities. Chairman and CEO Indra Nooyi meets often with members of this and other employee groups.

No. 4: Kaiser Permanente, No. 43 on the Top 50. Also No. 8 on the Top 10 for African Americans, No. 1 on the Top 10 for Latinos and No. 5 on the Top 10 for Executive Women.

The company has a supplier-diversity component for vendors owned by veterans with disabilities and a strong employee-resource group for people with disabilities.

No. 5: Health Care Service Corp., No. 34 on the Top 50. Also No. 10 on the Top 10 for Executive Women.

The company directs 75 percent of its philanthropic efforts toward initiatives that address health and human services in the communities it services.

No. 6: Sodexo, No. 12 on the Top 50. Also No. 3 on the Top 10 Companies for Recruitment & Retention and No. 9 on the Top 10 Companies for African Americans.

With a strong employee-resource group, Sodexo Organization of disabilities Resources, Sodexo also has a philanthropic relationship with the National Organization on Disability.

No. 7: Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide, No. 19 on the Top 50. Also No. 7 on the Top 10 for Executive Women.

With a valued relationship with the National Disability Council, Starwood also has supplier-diversity efforts with vendors owned by people with disabilities and veterans with disabilities.

No. 8: General Motors, No. 44 on the Top 50. Also No. 7 on the Top 10 for African Americans.

A longtime leader in this area, General Motors has a robust People With Disabilities Affinity Group and comprehensive diversity training.

No. 9: Deloitte, No. 16 on the Top 50. Also No. 7 on the Top 10 for LGBT Employees.

With 75 percent of its managers participating in mentoring programs, Deloitte makes a deep and concerted effort to ensure all employees reach maximum potential. The firm has generous and trendsetting work/life benefits that help people with disabilities, including periodic reduced-workload arrangements.

No. 10: Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp., No. 31 on the Top 50

The company has a Caregivers Affinity Group as well as a group for People With disAbilities and Chronic Health Issues.

There are a few places to look into.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:25 PM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Canada > US

Are you offering me a job?
Uh.... [Slowly backs out of room.]

I don't want to hog this thread, so I'll just say good luck and brass balls for putting yourself out there. Cheers.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #99 (permalink)

Ok, so you type with your foot. What do you do in the case of shortcut keys? How do you handle modifiers like shift, ctrl, and alt when they are part of a key combination? Do you use the sticky keys function?
Old 05-30-2008, 03:32 PM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Uh.... [Slowly backs out of room.]

I don't want to hog this thread, so I'll just say good luck and brass balls for putting yourself out there. Cheers.
lol