Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree8Likes

Old 01-05-2022, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

Books I read in 2021

These are the books I read in 2021. The links include a couple of thoughts I have on the book and the KATG Amazon affiliate link:

Screw Everyone by Ophira Eisenberg

Ophira Eisenberg's book about her relationships with men. As usual, Ophira is an incredible storyteller. This was such a fun read that also had me tear up a couple times.

https://amzn.to/3JNG3aW

Trust Me I'm Lying by Ryan Holiday

Ryan Holiday talks about how he has manipulated the media into posting his bullshit in order to sell his clients' work. It was interesting to read about how fake news gets posted and spread, but, to be honest, this could have been an article instead of a book.

https://amzn.to/3eNpJIY

Stop Asking Questions by Andrew Warner

Andrew Warner (my brother, a successful entrepreneur, and podcaster) talks about what makes a good interview, how to connect with guests, workflow, and more. This was such a quick and great read. I love how he teaches everything through storytelling and how he connects useful information about interviewing/podcasting with learning how to connect better with people in general as well.

If you're looking to start a podcast or looking to better your conversation and connection skills, this is a great one. Bonus: Keith and The Girl and I are mentioned in the acknowledgements!

https://amzn.to/3eJk4n4

Yes, I can Say That by Judy Gold

Judy Gold writes about freedom of speech in connection with comedy as a profession. As always, Judy is funny, smart, and unafraid to take a stance. This is a very well-written book that I think will be (if not is) one of the important reads regarding the history of comedy.

https://amzn.to/3JG6mQ3

The Six Pillars of Self Esteem by Nathaniel Branden
Nathaniel Brandon breaks down aspects of self esteem that have helped me break through a bunch of my feelings... and I have many. This is the second time I read the book. The information is simple but dense and bears repeating. I want to read it again in the future to continue to remind myself of the lessons.

https://amzn.to/3ziKV2V

Atomic Habits by James Clear

I got halfway through at the end of 2021 and will be finished with it this month. This is a great book for anyone who wants to improve their life. I wanted to highlight so many gems right from the start. I already passed along a lesson from the book in this week's OMAT Club. James Clear breaks down habit building into doable and reasonable tasks. The subtitle really is a good description for the information: Tiny Habits, Remarkable Results.

https://amzn.to/3pPiA0R
Bucho and Paige_H like this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2022, 02:37 PM   #2 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Screw Everyone by Ophira Eisenberg-

I have it as an audiobook and it was very good.
The Girl likes this.
Old 01-06-2022, 12:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Didn't read it but listened to the audio book, Paul Gilmartin mentions it a lot on his podcast, ita called Silently Seduced.
The Girl likes this.
Old 01-06-2022, 06:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

The last book I started reading at the end of the year is Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945 by Tony Judt. I didn't have time to read everything, but the impressions are incredible. Some moments in the story evoke very conflicting emotions.

https://www.amazon.com/Postwar-Histo.../dp/0143037757
Old 01-06-2022, 08:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Most memorable book last year for me was American Cipher, ostensibly about Bowe Bergdahl but with a wide enough perspective to explain the whole Afghanistan screw up, and maybe Vietnam too.
Old 02-09-2022, 07:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

I failed to read all the books I planned in 2021, that's why my challenge continues in this year. My first book in 2022 is Sapiens. It's great.
The Girl likes this.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

I read a book recommended by a friend last year - Adult Children of Emotionally Immature Parents: How to Heal from Distant, Rejecting, or Self-Involved Parents by Lindsay C. Gibson

It is exactly what the title says - and honestly really helped me.

Also read The House of Gucci: A Sensational Story of Murder, Madness, Glamour, and Greed by Sara Gay Forden which is absolutely fantastic. Don't watch the movie as it is really boring by comparison.

The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides is also a really good read from 2021 for me. Highly recommend, quick and fun mystery thriller.
The Girl likes this.
Old 02-13-2022, 01:16 AM   #8 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeitGR View Post
I failed to read all the books I planned in 2021, that's why my challenge continues in this year. My first book in 2022 is Sapiens. It's great.

When and where will you be reading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2022, 10:40 PM   #9 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
I liked Sapiens a lot. Top notch companion to Guns, Germs and Steel.
Old 03-03-2022, 01:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavok View Post
The last book I started reading at the end of the year is Postwar: A History of Europe Since 1945 by Tony Judt. I didn't have time to read everything, but the impressions are incredible. Some moments in the story evoke very conflicting emotions.

https://www.amazon.com/Postwar-Histo.../dp/0143037757
Looks interesting, I'll have to look into this one a bit more. Hadn't previously heard of this.

Quote:
Just a reminder that Harari is a social philosopher first and has some specific aims and conclusions he is trying to lead the reader to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
I liked Sapiens a lot. Top notch companion to Guns, Germs and Steel.
Likewise with Diamond, he has some specific aims and conclusions he is trying to lead the reader to that aren't exactly the full picture. GGS reminded me a lot of Sex at Dawn in that there are big pieces of truth obfuscated and minimized and small factors blown out of proportion in multi-variant systems. Both interesting books...but...

One of the books I read this year that I found fascinating and think is a great informative read either before or after Sapiens is Robert Carroll's Patterns and Processes of Vertebrate Evolution. I highly recommend.