Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 04-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Birthday Present Advice

Hi

I was looking for some advice on gifts for my man, he's turning 40 in August and I want to get him something he'll like, and use. My budget is 500$.

Here's a little bit about the man in question:

He's into World of Warcraft, mentioned something about a WoW package set he wants...
We own a home but isn't really a handy man.
He runs and weight trains regularly.
He is a scotch fanatic
He's not really a gadget person but I can see him being swayed by a really interesting gadget.

I was thinking about PlayStation3, if I went that route is 500$ going to get me anything good? What games do you recommend that are like WoW, is WoW on Playstation? Can we hook PS3 up to our tv and the net at the same time? I really don't know much about PlayStation3 and will be researching on my own but any advice from you guys who are playing on them now would be great.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

I say avoid WoW completely, because that shit is a disease. A PS3 is nice, but just about everyone I know who has one (including myself) mainly uses it as a media center for their TV (for things like Hulu Plus, Netflix, streaming from PC).

If he really likes scotch, get him a bottle of something expensive. You'll still have money left over for something neat.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxquanta View Post
I say avoid WoW completely, because that shit is a disease. A PS3 is nice, but just about everyone I know who has one (including myself) mainly uses it as a media center for their TV (for things like Hulu Plus, Netflix, streaming from PC).

If he really likes scotch, get him a bottle of something expensive. You'll still have money left over for something neat.
I was thinking of getting him a bottle of 40 year old scotch (he's turning forty..corrrrny) or having an exclusive bottle shipped from the Isle of skye.

Well using the PS3 as a media center would be cool no?? I was thinking that is what I like about the unit, we can use it for games and other shit.

WoW a disease meaning you waste hours on it?? Kinda like an Ipad...see if I get him a WoW set then I never have to see him and I can play on my IPad guilt free....ahahah ulterior motives!!!

Seriously though...the scotch would be a bonus round If I had money left over because I know he'll be getting scotch for his B-Day, he always does. I also wanted to throw a back yard BBQ for him with a few close friends, make a nice dinner for everyone...this 500 bucks better stretch a long fucking distance HAHAHAH
Old 04-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
I also wanted to throw a back yard BBQ for him with a few close friends, make a nice dinner for everyone...this 500 bucks better stretch a long fucking distance HAHAHAH
Being only 24 my opinion might not mean much here, but I honestly think I like this idea best of all, so far, so I would make it a priority. For my birthday/Christmas/whatever holiday you can think of, I would much rather have a nice get together than anything material. Of course, the situations are different. I'm young, single, and have a good paying job, so any physical thing I really want, I can probably get for myself any time of year. A nice party on a special day, though, is a different story.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxquanta View Post
Being only 24 my opinion might not mean much here, but I honestly think I like this idea best of all, so far, so I would make it a priority. For my birthday/Christmas/whatever holiday you can think of, I would much rather have a nice get together than anything material. Of course, the situations are different. I'm young, single, and have a good paying job, so any physical thing I really want, I can probably get for myself any time of year. A nice party on a special day, though, is a different story.
I think those priorities never change. I think you're right, I know my man and I am pretty sure he's prefer a nice, easy going...stressfree (meaning no family bs) party with friends. Means a lot more work for yours truly but it IS his big birthday.

We have a bottle of 45 year old Canadian Club we've been saving, I think we should skip the scotch and splash out on the party...Ok, so we've slashed the budget now from 500$ to more like 250....What can I get for 250?

He likes flashlights...why do guys like flashlights...but that he does collect. Is WoW still affordable at 250....gotta check that out.

Should I make it a surprise party??? Oh GAWD, I hate surprise parties...I'm rambling, sorry, this has been on my mind for a year now. I want him to look back on his 40th and remember how cool his party was.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I did a quick search in WA state for 40-year old Scotch. You're looking at somewhere between $750 and $2,200 per bottle. Obviously your prices will vary, but not enough to get into your budget range.

I would recommend getting him a bottle of his favoriite, and use the rest for the backyard party. Take pictures, use a movie maker program to turn them into a short video to replay and remember later on.

My 2 cents.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
I did a quick search in WA state for 40-year old Scotch. You're looking at somewhere between $750 and $2,200 per bottle. Obviously your prices will vary, but not enough to get into your budget range.

I would recommend getting him a bottle of his favoriite, and use the rest for the backyard party. Take pictures, use a movie maker program to turn them into a short video to replay and remember later on.

My 2 cents.
THanks!! I guess theory of the 40 year old scotch will have to stay a theory...I'm loving the picture movie idea, an album of just his BD party pics...nice! I am definitely liking this, I can do party, not so good with Video games.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

WoW isn't on PS3, it's on the computer.

Does he play any other video games? If he doesn't play console games (ie, if you've never seen him play XBOX, or PS3), then from my personal experience console gaming is just frustrating because the console controller is so much different from PC gaming. And like Keith says, online players are way too good.

I'm for the other options.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #9 (permalink)

DOY!

As if there was ever really any question.

Get Custom Avatards | Lattaland
Old 04-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Don't get him WoW for his birthday. Or a PS3.

Go away for a weekend and have a really nice dinner. Fuck the shit out of him for 2 days. It's all he really wants anyway.