Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-03-2012, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Career Advice

Hi guys, I need some advice.

I've been applying to new jobs a lot recently. I interviewed for about 6-8 positions and finally received an offer from a company. They're not my first choice of job, but it would be a great job in terms of responsibilities.

I received their first salary offer and it was low. Like super low. Like less than a teacher makes and I would have to live in the ghetto low. Its also a lot less than the salary range in the area and nationwide for the job title and duties.

I then countered, mentioning the industry standards for the position, cost of living in the area, and the fact that I do not need health insurance for the next year and a half (something they offered, which usually costs each employer $10,000 per employee).

They "countered" back with the same salary. Not a cent more.

I'm conflicted on what to do, if I took this job I would just continue searching for another and leave the second I was offered a new job. Is that fair to the employer?

Should I just take it even if I have the full intention of leaving as soon as possible? Should I just shut up and be thankful to have an offer in this economy?

Any advice from those in the working world would be great, thanks!

Last edited by RachaelBachael; 08-03-2012 at 12:10 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

Take the job, prove your worth and earn a raise
Old 08-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Well if you need the cash flow right away, take it and look for another job. Don't feel bad about dropping a company that isn't willing to pay you what you're worth.

If they countered with the same offer then they aren't serious about the position, and you probably wont be treated well.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

If you need the money (if you have no job now) or can make it work for a short while with the lower salary take it, do a good job for them and learn as much as you can from them as you said the responsibilities are great.

Keep looking for other jobs and given what I know from US labour laws you can get out fast and you shouldn't feel bad about it.
With the shitty way they treat you now I don't expect they will suddenly offer huge raises or other benefits if they haven't already mentioned that this is the reason they want to start you on such a low salary e.g. so they can go up after you proofed yourself.
Old 08-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #5 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Taking the job while continuing to shop around can also hurt you. When I hire people, if I see previous job history of only a year or two, that's a red flag for me. Why were they only there a year or two? Are they a chronic job jumper? Didn't get along? Wasn't able to handle the work they were hired for?

If you take a job, I would recommend 2 years minimum before you leave for another job.

One caveat, I remember you recently graduated from UK, so I'm assuming you're talking white collar jobs here.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piscean View Post
Taking the job while continuing to shop around can also hurt you. When I hire people, if I see previous job history of only a year or two, that's a red flag for me. Why were they only there a year or two? Are they a chronic job jumper? Didn't get along? Wasn't able to handle the work they were hired for?

If you take a job, I would recommend 2 years minimum before you leave for another job.

One caveat, I remember you recently graduated from UK, so I'm assuming you're talking white collar jobs here.
Yup, its for a website. And I am worried about the job hopping thing. I'd be leaving 2 part time jobs for this one full-time one, and I don't want it to look like I'm just hopping around. I do want a position I can stay in for several years, but I don't think this is it.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

You don't seem comfortable. If you can survive financially for a little while longer, keep looking.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

If you have 0 job experience any will be a good thing for the next employer.

You can tell the next employer that you were looking to build your CV with experience and now that you have the real work behind you you are a more rounded candidate for their position.

But understand, they have started as they mean to go. Don't expect big raises and bonuses from a company not willing to bend at all.

Good luck
Old 08-03-2012, 03:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Also, I wouldn't worry much about jumping around from job to job at this point. You do want to show stability, but I don't think that's particularly expected from the "kids" these days. 3 jobs in your first 2 years? I don't think that's a problem as long as you're showing a logical progression in responsibility and salary and career building. After that I would follow the 2 year rule. But don't stress your first 2 years in the workforce.

But again, if you hate the idea of working at this place, and you're not in a financial bind, hold off. If you are in a financial bind, any decent job is going to be an improvement.
Old 08-04-2012, 01:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelBachael View Post
Yup, its for a website. And I am worried about the job hopping thing. I'd be leaving 2 part time jobs for this one full-time one, and I don't want it to look like I'm just hopping around. I do want a position I can stay in for several years, but I don't think this is it.
If you leave fast enough, just don't put it on your resume. And if you continue to look, I hope you won't say "I just started a new job, but I'm looking to leave asap"

Last edited by DWarrior; 08-04-2012 at 01:19 AM.