Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree83Likes

Old 03-26-2017, 12:13 PM   #31 (permalink)

i wonder how Tasha Yar and Data's liaison went. he never tried again.
coffee likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:59 PM   #32 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Tasha was a fun little ho.

And later got nude in real life. It didn't lead to bigger things after all...

"I was miserable. I couldn’t wait to get off that show. I was dying. This was not an overnight decision. I was grateful to have made that many episodes, but I didn’t want to spend the next six years going “Aye, aye, captain,” and standing there, in the same uniform, in the same position on the bridge. It just scared the hell out of me that this was what I was going to be doing for the next X-amount of years. I think you have to take your chances. I was really young. I didn’t have to make house payments or put kids through private school or support people. I was free to make those kinds of decisions. I’d been in acting school really dreaming of playing all kinds of different things. Whether it’ll happen or not, you don’t know, but you’ve got to give yourself a chance. God forbid you go through your life thinking, “What if?”"
coffee and Sparrow like this.

Last edited by Keith; 03-26-2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:07 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Tasha was a fun little ho.

And later got nude in real life. It didn't lead to bigger things after all...

"I was miserable. I couldn’t wait to get off that show. I was dying. This was not an overnight decision. I was grateful to have made that many episodes, but I didn’t want to spend the next six years going “Aye, aye, captain,” and standing there, in the same uniform, in the same position on the bridge. It just scared the hell out of me that this was what I was going to be doing for the next X-amount of years. I think you have to take your chances. I was really young. I didn’t have to make house payments or put kids through private school or support people. I was free to make those kinds of decisions. I’d been in acting school really dreaming of playing all kinds of different things. Whether it’ll happen or not, you don’t know, but you’ve got to give yourself a chance. God forbid you go through your life thinking, “What if?”"

Yeah, "what if" she had stayed on the show and become a huge star from it? She came back a few times and even played her own daughter! Guess she didn't want to fully stay away.

Worf was a better chief of security anyway and Tasha was kind of annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 02:08 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
i wonder how Tasha Yar and Data's liaison went. he never tried again.

He had another girlfriend for a little while. That wasn't very good though. It didn't go well.

Old 03-26-2017, 02:42 PM   #35 (permalink)

i was thinking about the AI civil rights issues that are brought up during TNG and Voyager and how Data as an android was experiencing life differently than Voyager's Doctor, a holographic program. i assume leaving a hologram on for years at a time grows enough to be considered sentient, which brings up a lot of ethical dilemmas about casual use and are we denying life to the holographic at our leisure and conditional on how we want to exploit them.

Data had a lot of issues adapting his program to really "get inside" humanity. Voyager's Doctor already seemed to have a grasp and workable use of it. i wonder if anyone was able to integrate holographic personality and, i guess, emotional use into Data's system or if his unique construction made him entirely incompatible. you'd think Geordi could figure it out. Seven of Nine's growth is somewhere in the middle i guess, but again, couldn't these examples be used to enhance Data's quality of life?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aunt_helen View Post
Laugh a little, chigger. The world is a fun place.

Last edited by Sparrow; 03-26-2017 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:49 PM   #36 (permalink)

i also believe proper harnessing of borg nanoprobes begin the medical revolution of their time.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:55 PM   #37 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

FUCK YOU, BORG!
picard102 likes this.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:50 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
i was thinking about the AI civil rights issues that are brought up during TNG and Voyager and how Data as an android was experiencing life differently than Voyager's Doctor, a holographic program. i assume leaving a hologram on for years at a time grows enough to be considered sentient, which brings up a lot of ethical dilemmas about casual use and are we denying life to the holographic at our leisure and conditional on how we want to exploit them.

Data had a lot of issues adapting his program to really "get inside" humanity. Voyager's Doctor already seemed to have a grasp and workable use of it. i wonder if anyone was able to integrate holographic personality and, i guess, emotional use into Data's system or if his unique construction made him entirely incompatible. you'd think Geordi could figure it out. Seven of Nine's growth is somewhere in the middle i guess, but again, couldn't these examples be used to enhance Data's quality of life?

Most holograms are not self aware. They have a preprogrammed set of responses to certain stimuli. They can't fully adapt to external stimuli. Except professor Moriarty. He became self aware and figured out what he was. He is off traveling the galaxy though. Unless he has figured out what happened... I don't know how the doctor was able to become so evolved. They mess with his programming over time, but you're right. How is he able to be so human while Data struggles? Then there's all those other holograms they discover.

As for Data, he specifically was programmed to not have emotions until he was ready for them. His brother had them. He was more human. But he had other issues. So maybe Data was designed to be like that on purpose? The doctor was created later on also. So maybe advancements were made.

We are probably going to see these kinds of issues in our real life future. Data was able to prove in a court that he was a person and could make his own decisions. I'm sure people will fight it, but I wonder how long it would take for humanity to consider something run by a computer a person? Especially after seeing Ex Machina, I'm not sure I'm gonna be okay with that.

HUAR!

Sparrow likes this.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:50 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
i also believe proper harnessing of borg nanoprobes begin the medical revolution of their time.

Definitely. Those things are amazing!

Sparrow likes this.
Old 03-26-2017, 10:34 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fraggle312 View Post
How is he able to be so human while Data struggles? Then there's all those other holograms they discover.
the Doctor seemed to be self-aware from day 1 which leads me to believe there's a process for giving it that quality that we deny them so we, frankly, don't have to deal with the ethics. and it seems to crop up naturally given enough uninterrupted time and acknowledgment from others around it. they treat the Doctor as a person from early on; Kes really saw to that. a hologram can discover it is holographic and be quite surprised. the bartender in Fairhaven does this very thing.

gracious, the Doctor marries a human. so, again, i have to assume at some point there's legislation created backing his sentience and agency if he can enter into a contract.