Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-23-2009, 09:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

Cross-USA Rail Excursion - Winter 2009

WOO! Okay! For as long as I can remember, I've considered myself an Americophile - someone who is interested in everything about America, and Americans. And so, while I've got nothing to tie me down, I'm going to fulfill my dream of travelling, by train, across the USA - stopping in the places I've always dreamed of seeing. Beginning in October, I'm going to be stopping once or twice on the west coast, then making the cross-country trip over to the midwest before heading down south and then making my way up the east coast.

I plan on documenting my trip online, and hope to turn the resulting blog into an article on the sociology of the american people - and so, I'm going to need to meet some people. My schedule is pretty lax, and so besides a few set stops, the majority of the trip is up in the air. Here's where you could potentially come in! I'm looking for places to go and people to stay with. Currently, I'm trying to find someone in Memphis, TN whose couch I could crash on for a day or two - I can't be going through Tennessee and not see Graceland.

Please, dear forumites, give me insight into your fair country! Where to go, what to see, whether I can crash at your place ( in return, I will happily use my culinary training to bake you a menagerie of delicious goodies - or buy you a beer; whichever ). I'll be recording my pre-trip progress on this thread - and likely in a blog which I have yet to create.

Gimme what you got!

and yes, i've heard of couchsurfing and will use that to my advantage as need be. but i'd rather meet y'all!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)

Bumping this.

I'm opening my home to our dear Kate so she can experience the South appropriately. Here's a chance for YOU to share the wonders of America! The KATG community is nothing if not supportive of each others endeavors. She will not kill you in your sleep. Be a buddy.
Old 09-07-2009, 06:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissmisskate View Post
WOO! Okay! For as long as I can remember, I've considered myself an Americophile - someone who is interested in everything about America, and Americans. And so, while I've got nothing to tie me down, I'm going to fulfill my dream of travelling, by train, across the USA - stopping in the places I've always dreamed of seeing. Beginning in October, I'm going to be stopping once or twice on the west coast, then making the cross-country trip over to the midwest before heading down south and then making my way up the east coast.

I plan on documenting my trip online, and hope to turn the resulting blog into an article on the sociology of the american people - and so, I'm going to need to meet some people. My schedule is pretty lax, and so besides a few set stops, the majority of the trip is up in the air. Here's where you could potentially come in! I'm looking for places to go and people to stay with. Currently, I'm trying to find someone in Memphis, TN whose couch I could crash on for a day or two - I can't be going through Tennessee and not see Graceland.

Please, dear forumites, give me insight into your fair country! Where to go, what to see, whether I can crash at your place ( in return, I will happily use my culinary training to bake you a menagerie of delicious goodies - or buy you a beer; whichever ). I'll be recording my pre-trip progress on this thread - and likely in a blog which I have yet to create.

Gimme what you got!

and yes, i've heard of couchsurfing and will use that to my advantage as need be. but i'd rather meet y'all!
I am opening my home to you in Houston, Texas...you can see how the 4th largest city in the USA is a great mix of art music and straight wal-mart loving rednecks...
Old 09-09-2009, 06:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

You are welcome at The DaHonay casa! Phoenix AZ area. We know how to party! OW!

If you're going to start on the west coast, try to get here at the end of Ocotober. We have a huge Halloween party every year and since it falls on a Saturday, it will last all weekend.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)

If you want to see Pike's Peak, Garden of the Gods, or any other shit like that I can hook you up in Colorado Springs. It'll be snowing by then, so skiing and such are also options. I dunno what else is here other than scenery, snow, and booze but I'm fairly sure there there are other tings.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Great, guys! Thanks so much for the interest. I have major dreams of seeing Texas, and Arizona would be gorgeous! I've never really been skiing, but if I make a stop over in Colorado I'll make you take me, Guns McGee. I'm currently reformatting my original route and, Amtrak (and time) permitting, I'd love to take you all up on your offers. I'll let yous know as soon as I do.

And sorry Dah, but I've got prior plans of partying in New Orleans this halloween, but I might swing by before hand!
Old 09-09-2009, 10:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

I can take you on a partial roadtrip to some great places in New England that aren't int he city, if you wanted to see what the countryside is all about, why the stars are so amazing at night and why people go driving just to see the fall foliage.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you come down by Austin, there is definitely a place for you to crash. Keep us updated.