Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree268Likes

Old 02-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #2981 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Brumski View Post
I'd still avoid creatine. It's not necessary and I'm not looking for a chemical thing to help me out. My personal position on the matter. Plus I'd have to research how to use it effectively and plan my workouts more, I don't want more work, I'm fine with just eating as much as I can, and working out as much as I can.
My old coach and dad were just speaking from their own experiences with other athletes in college, not anyone they were responsible for, but certainly not scientific. From short-term observations different people's natural dispositions would probably be what they were seeing. Ex: Person A is taking creatine, Person B isn't, they do the same workout. If Person B was already stronger, fitter, built better whatever, creatine would appear to not do anything.

I'm curious to see your protein calculations. You can't eat only protein powder though. Wouldn't you have to then spend more money on real food to actually sate your hunger?

This conversation has got me thinking that I'll stop being shy about it and go ahead and in bring in my two lunches, a protein shake, and several snacks to work regularly.
Protein powder isn't a meal supplement. My man drinks it with his supper. So you can eat one chicken breast (say 5$) and 3 tbsps of protein powder in a glass of skimmed milk (say 50 cents) instead of TWO chicken breasts at 10 bucks.

Also, FYI, Greek yogurt has 20% more protein then regular yogurt so if you make smoothies, use greek yogurt.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #2982 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy View Post
Protein powder isn't a meal supplement. My man drinks it with his supper. So you can eat one chicken breast (say 5$) and 3 tbsps of protein powder in a glass of skimmed milk (say 50 cents) instead of TWO chicken breasts at 10 bucks.
Right, but that needs to be calculated into D's formula, it won't be a straight comparison. Also, what if I'm so hungry that I want to eat two chicken breasts regardless? Or something cheaper.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #2983 (permalink)

Quote:
From short-term observations different people's natural dispositions would probably be what they were seeing. Ex: Person A is taking creatine, Person B isn't, they do the same workout. If Person B was already stronger, fitter, built better whatever, creatine would appear to not do anything.
If they do the same exact workout (down to weight and reps), there'd be no difference. I guess you don't really know what Creatine does, but if you don't want to use it then you don't need to know. The biggest downside is you piss a lot when first starting, like at least once an hour. Getting to sleep the first few days is a bitch.

Quote:
I'm curious to see your protein calculations. You can't eat only protein powder though. Wouldn't you have to then spend more money on real food to actually sate your hunger?
Again, if you drank it you'd know. A protein shake is pretty satiating. Basic protein calculation is easy to describe. For chicken:
1. Get price of chicken per pound
2. Find grams of protein in chicken per pound
3. (1)/(2) = price per gram of chicken protein

For protein powder:
1. Get price of a jug of protein powder
2. Find grams of protein per scoop
3. Find # of scoops in jug
4. (1)/[(3)*(2)] = price per gram of powder protein
- Obviously this is useful only for powders that are mostly protein (eg, ON Whey Gold Standard). With meal replacements (eg, Muscle Milk, Myoplex) you'd want to take into account carbs/fats into the price. I don't buy meal replacements though, since getting carbs is ez.

Quote:
This conversation has got me thinking that I'll stop being shy about it and go ahead and in bring in my two lunches, a protein shake, and several snacks to work regularly.
One of my desk drawers at work is just protein powder, protein bars, creatine, beta-alanine, almonds, and BBQ Sauce. My workers regularly hit me up for the almonds and sauce. I use a blender bottle for a daily shake and use it as a water bottle the rest of the time.

I normally buy lunch since my commute used to be killer and I wanted to maximize sleep. Now that I moved closer to work though, I'll start bringing my own lunches.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:11 PM   #2984 (permalink)

Quote:
Right, but that needs to be calculated into D's formula, it won't be a straight comparison. Also, what if I'm so hungry that I want to eat two chicken breasts regardless? Or something cheaper.
That makes no sense, at least in the way I eat. I set daily calories and eat to hit the target. So for me it's a straight comparison.

FYI, lean chicken is 83% calories from protein, ON Whey is 81% calories from protein, so the comparison is good. Lean ground beef also works (and it's cheaper than chicken). Something like a marbled steak doesn't work, since that has a significant amount of fat (but also way more expensive than whey). Fish doesn't work either, also because of fat, but it's also obviously more expensive.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:24 PM   #2985 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
That makes no sense, at least in the way I eat. I set daily calories and eat to hit the target. So for me it's a straight comparison.

FYI, lean chicken is 83% calories from protein, ON Whey is 81% calories from protein, so the comparison is good. Lean ground beef also works (and it's cheaper than chicken). Something like a marbled steak doesn't work, since that has a significant amount of fat (but also way more expensive than whey). Fish doesn't work either, also because of fat, but it's also obviously more expensive.
Huh, I guess we are going about things differently enough that we're not making as much sense to each other as we could. I don't set calories, or count calories or fat or anything. Maybe we should arm-wrestle, or box, or compare abs, or something else suitably homo come April 15th to decide a better system.

Long week...works getting to me.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #2986 (permalink)

Quote:
Huh, I guess we are going about things differently enough that we're not making as much sense to each other as we could. I don't set calories, or count calories or fat or anything. Maybe we should arm-wrestle, or box, or compare abs, or something else suitably homo come April 15th to decide a better system.

Oh lol. You're forgetting that I'm an emotionless quantitative robot math major. I have a food scale at home, cook to hit calorie and protein goals using Livestrong's MyPlate, and don't give a crap about creating fancy recipes.

I'd be up for a pissing contest on April 15. A completely fair impartial contest would be a 15-touch fencing bout.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:47 PM   #2987 (permalink)

Old 02-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #2988 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
I'd be up for a pissing contest on April 15. A completely fair impartial contest would be a 15-touch fencing bout.
Are you actually going to be at April 15?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #2989 (permalink)

Quote:

I actually thought some about this. And if K&C organize a fan boxing day, I'll totally box you. And campy should box marina. Let's do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxquanta View Post
Are you actually going to be at April 15?
I just moved to Astoria, so it'll be a train ride away.

Last edited by DWarrior; 02-03-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:53 PM   #2990 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhian View Post
It's my talent?

Ohai.
I'd say so, yes.