Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 12-17-2014, 11:43 AM   #1 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Interesting News Items

Post all interesting news items here.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 07:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

At long last, Paul Stanley's Folger's Coffee commercial surfaces.

I know how much you guys like Ace Freeley selling Dunkin, so I thought you might also like this uber-schlocky commercial that Paul Stanley did for Folgers.

At long last, Paul Stanley?s ridiculous Folgers coffee commercial surfaces | Dangerous Minds
Old 12-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

That robbed me of my virgin soul.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

Talk about a nightmare before Christmas

An Ohio homeowner was ordered by town officials to remove a Nativity scene in front of his house that featured zombies instead of wise men and a baby Jesus.

"I wanted a Nativity and I worked with what I had," Jasen Dixon, who manages a nearby haunted house, told Fox 19. "The neighbors don't like it. My father hates it and anything bad that happens he blames it on that."

The Nativity scene features life-size figures and a zombie baby Jesus, with pale skin and pure white eyes. At night, the figures are illuminated by red and green lights.

"I didn't really pay it any attention until the different color lights came on, then finally the baby was put in the manger," Dan Fluker, a neighbor, told the station.

According to documents obtained by Fox 19, Sycamore Township, which is outside Cincinnati, does not allow structures to be located in the front or the side yard to occupy more than 35 percent of the area. Also, the primary structure must be 3 feet from the street, and 6 feet from the house.

Dixon, who manages 13 Rooms of Doom, says this is his second violation since the exhibit was put up. He indicated that his First Amendment right is being infringed upon due to the religious element.

"I've lived here for 15 years and I've never had a violation of any kind," Dixon said. "It's a holiday decoration. I know if it was a real pretty Nativity scene they wouldn't be saying anything."

Dixon, who said about 40 people take photographs of what he calls "the world’s first zombie Nativity scene," has until Dec. 26 to take down the scene. If he does not take down the exhibit, legal action will be taken.

It is unclear if Dixon will fight the town, but when one person on his Facebook page urged him to keep the display up, he responded, "Dangers my middle name."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/23...ativity-scene/
Old 12-24-2014, 07:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

fuck this

Last edited by DJ Trashy; 07-14-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Dustin Diamond, Who Played Screech in 90s Sitcom, Arrested in Stabbing

The actor best known for playing the character Screech in the '90s sitcom "Saved by the Bell" was arrested Thursday on charges that he stabbed a man with a knife during a fight at a Wisconsin bar, police said.

Dustin Diamond, 37, appeared in court Friday on a charge of second-degree recklessly endangering safety, a felony, as well as misdemeanor charges of carrying a concealed weapon and disorderly conduct, and a judge set his bail at $10,000, according to court records.

Police said Diamond stabbed a man during an altercation at the Grand Avenue Saloon in Port Washington at around 11:15 p.m., and then he and his fiancée fled in a white sport-utility vehicle. Diamond and his fiancée, Amanda Schultz, were taken into custody a short time later, and police said they found a folding knife with a 3.75-inch blade inside the vehicle with what appeared to be blood on it.

The victim suffered a stab wound to his right armpit, but police said the wound was not life threatening and he was recovering at home Friday.

When police caught up to the SUV, Diamond initially told the officer he had a "pen" in his hand but later admitted it was a knife, according to the criminal complaint. Diamond, who lives in Port Washington, told the officer he accidentally stabbed the man while trying to protect Schultz during a heated confrontation at the bar, according to the complaint. Other witnesses told police the fight broke out after Diamond's fiancée got upset over people taking pictures, the complaint said.

Diamond's agent, Roger Paul, declined to comment. A person who picked up the phone at the Grand Avenue Saloon said Diamond is not a regular at the bar. Schultz, 27, was charged with disorderly conduct.

— Phil Helsel

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/crime-co...abbing-n275306
Old 01-04-2015, 10:36 AM   #7 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Duff: Suing Labels for $: How Labels Could've Avoided Piracy

Duff Mckagan Says Guns N' Roses Toured For Two Years In Support Of 'Use Your Illusion' Just To Break Even - Blabbermouth.net

Duff: "..In 1994, I'd just gotten sober and I was kind of figuring some stuff out. And our lawyer said, 'We're gonna audit Geffen,' audit our record company. Before that, I lived in this sort of fantasy world that they were our partner in this thing. Well, they didn't pay us on something like six million records. Six million records! And they said, 'Okay, fine. We'll pay you for two. Or you can sue us.' This is our record company."

'You can sue us for the rest, but it's gonna cost you. We have lawyers on staff.' So you do an audit settlement. So you settle for about a third of what's owed you. And we've done now an audit every three years."

Duff goes on to say that record labels could have avoided online piracy. This is interesting because he's referring to Napster, (the first big file-sharing site) one that set a huge precedent for music/ album sales/ band tours: pretty much the entire world of music - as we know it today.

Duff: "Napster, in 1997, said, 'We didn't invent the computer or digital music. We didn't invent this. It's out there. We have this central site where you can get all the music.' They were talking to the four major labels. The labels were trying to sue 'em, sue Napster. And Napster was going, 'You guys, it's already out there. So we're getting all this revenue from ads. Here's what we propose: Just give us all your music. We'll share in all this hundreds of millions of dollars of ad revenue that we're getting, and we can probably get that huger now that we're all together and you can pay your artists. It's a win-win.'

And the labels, in '97, basically buried their heads in the sand and said, 'We're gonna sue you and take you out.' And Napster, the whole time, was going, 'I didn't invent this. It's still out there. If it's not me, it's gonna be somebody else.' And he was right."

SO. When you think about what killed the music industry: it really was greed. Greedy record labels charging $5.95 for a single song on tape cassette, (back in 1989-90) and later $16.99 for compact disc album. Meanwhile they aren't even disclosing actual real profits to artists!

Now we're seeing more and more bands do their own recording. More bands releasing material via websites like Bandcamp. I dont' know if capitalism killed music industry. It kinda feels like it got exploited and is now in the self-correcting phase.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

A Brilliant Idiot: Woman Shot by Two Year Old Was a Nuclear Scientist

Quote:
Outside of the US, virtually no one understands the pathological obsession with owning and shooting guns. In the UK where I am from, anyone who felt the need to carry a gun to their local store while looking after several very small children would be taken immediately to prison and given a very thorough psychiatric evaluation. This would of course be seen as the Big Bad Nanny State interfering with your God Given Freedom in America, but it is worth bearing in mind that had a sensible legal system been in place that prevented this type of stupidity, Veronica Rutledge would still be alive and her child would not be irreparably traumatized from killing his own mother.
Why did Rutledge take a gun to Walmart with her child and nieces? What exactly was the purpose? To defend herself from hidden assassins in the fruit and veg department? To defeat the terrorists in Walmart before they defeated her at home? While a huge amount of sympathy should go out to the family and those affected by the tragedy, it is difficult to feel too sorry for someone so reckless and stupid that they would leave a purse with a lethal weapon unattended around a two year old. Rutledge literally lived by the gun, and died by it – a fate every weapon wielding American needs to come to terms with. If you carry equipment designed with the sole purpose of killing, there’s a good chance it will actually kill someone.
Read more at A Brilliant Idiot: Woman Shot by Two Year Old Was a Nuclear Scientist | The Daily Banter
Old 01-05-2015, 06:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

In the same UK where people run around beheading each other?
Old 01-05-2015, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paraquat View Post
In the same UK where people run around beheading each other?
So you don't want to talk about why a baby just tragically shot his mother?

Ok let's look at overall murder rates with whatever weapon then - wiki to the rescue:

Count is total and rate per 100,000 population per year
Intentional homicide, as defined by UNODC, is "unlawful death purposefully inflicted on a person by another person".
So I assume this excludes all your recent cop killings as these were 'lawful'

Country / Rate / Count / Year listed

United Kingdom / 1.0 / 653 / 2011
United States / 4.7 / 14,827 / 2012