Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 04-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

Did anyone get an ipad? How is it?

So, did anyone get one.

If you did, I have questions.

I want one and want to use it for work as much as play. I carry around a case that contains a too-heavy shitty XP laptop, and a bunch of folders filled with sales materials. I'd love to slim that down to a few hand-outs and an ipad.

I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't run full OSX. I'd by one in a heartbeat if it did.

It obviously doesn't have preview. The list of viewable attachments for the email program is close to what preview can display, but the idea of dicking around with emailing a bunch of stuff to myself isn't elegant. Does it have a file system and finder? Can I keep a set of folders containing files which I can use to quickly access PDFs and presentations (I plan to get all three iwork apps)?

Can you see your spreadsheets, docs, pictures synced with iphoto, PDFs, etc in spotlight? What is spotlight like?

What is displayed via the VGA adapter? Keynotes? Numbers files? Videos? Pictures via the photo app? Everything?

Can the keynote app be controlled remotely via the keynote remote app on an iphone or ipod touch?

Does it play nice with MS Exchange like the iphone?

Does it have a VPN client for browsing and opening files on a remote server? How well does it handle opening, viewing, and editing these files? Will the IT guy at work be able to set this up if my company uses a Cisco VPN thingie (yes, I don't know shit about how this works, but, as an outside sales rep, I need access to files and spreadsheets on my company's network to track shipments, get copies of updated sales materials and order materials).

Regarding iwork: How does the mobile version of iwork handle saving in MS Office file types? The iwork stuff on my mac dos this OK, but I'm curious about the mini versions. Will I be able to open an excel spreadsheet, edit it, then email it along to a colleague as an xls?

How is it with printers? I have an Apple airport extreme with two printers attached. Will I be able to print office docs, PDFs, iwork docs, and pictures using my airport printers?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Don't bother buying an iPad, someone already took it apart and look what they found inside http://i.imgur.com/It9To.png
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

1- No spotlight.

2- If u get iWorks you will have limited file access. You can share via iDisk or iTunes syncing, but no drag and drop

3- From what I can tell there is no native print capability. Maybe it will be in iPhone OS 4.0?

4- Let me test my work VPN access. I'll be right back.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I called apple. They said that it would have VPN ability, but without a finder I have no idea how I would browse the files.

I played with one at a store and it did have the same spotlight as the iphone.

I was surprised at how well typing worked on it in the couple mins I played with it too.

The calendar app was a big disappointment. I tried to make a mock entry and it was awkward. The calendar is just a big version of the iphone's.

I read a bunch of reviews that said that its iwork doesn't play well with real iwork. Conversion and moving files is supposedly a PITA acording to reviews (must sync through itunes, and no finder). No print suport and 4.0 isn't supposed to have it either, from what I've read.

It's no good if I have to cary around my Dell piece of shit to get along with office files and the VPN.

Oh well. If it were any good it would set me back $900 by the time I buy a VGA and a case. I'm a little glad it's just a toy.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech View Post
I called apple. They said that it would have VPN ability, but without a finder I have no idea how I would browse the files.
VPN is built in but I haven't tested that yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech View Post

I played with one at a store and it did have the same spotlight as the iphone.

I was surprised at how well typing worked on it in the couple mins I played with it too.

The calendar app was a big disappointment. I tried to make a mock entry and it was awkward. The calendar is just a big version of the iphone's.

I read a bunch of reviews that said that its iwork doesn't play well with real iwork. Conversion and moving files is supposedly a PITA acording to reviews (must sync through itunes, and no finder). No print suport and 4.0 isn't supposed to have it either, from what I've read.

It's no good if I have to cary around my Dell piece of shit to get along with office files and the VPN.

Oh well. If it were any good it would set me back $900 by the time I buy a VGA and a case. I'm a little glad it's just a toy.
I have been using it to update our ticketing system in the field. It is web based and works fine after turning off rich text forms. But our share point stuff is all IE-centric and is hit and miss on safari.

But I use mine at work all day.
Old 04-20-2010, 02:40 AM   #6 (permalink)

Careful: VPN isn't always VPN.

The iPhone OS currently supports L2TP PPTP and Cisco IPsec only. For other VPN gateways (SonicWALL, Juniper etc.) you might be out of luck. iPhone OS 4 will add support for SSL VPN though...

I borrowed our iPad from work and loved it for casual browsing etc. Can't really see it being a notebook replacement though until a few more apps are released for things like file browsing...
Old 04-20-2010, 08:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dee
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

How's iBooks?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
How's iBooks?
Ok if you like reading on a screen... I need a real book, otherwise I just get distracted and start surfing the web, checking twitter etc.

Mind you, since I was only borrowing it, I didn't buy any additional iBooks, so perhaps Winnie the Pooh just isn't as gripping as it used to be.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Last edited by outlaw; 02-15-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Last edited by outlaw; 02-15-2014 at 08:29 AM.