Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 04-27-2010, 09:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

Do you have an MBA?

So I'm looking at going back to school for an MBA. I am just lost on what to focus on, to be honest. I feel like my Undergraduate degree (International Business) wasn't too valuable so far in my life.... I am in sales...

I want to consider programs that will justify the cost. AKA I will be coming out w/ a demand for a salary above $75k base. And down the road to be making at least 120k base..... Is this enough info?

Does anyone have any guidance?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

Do not take courses online, or the degree is worthless. Nothing in the business world goes by the book. The most valuable part of the MBA experience is meeting other people who have been out in the real life business world and hearing their experiences and how they relate to the topics you'll be learning. This brings the topics to life.

Now, do you want to get into international business or another specialization? Going in with a dollar figure doesn't help if you don't know what you are best suited for.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansur View Post
Do not take courses online, or the degree is worthless. Nothing in the business world goes by the book. The most valuable part of the MBA experience is meeting other people who have been out in the real life business world and hearing their experiences and how they relate to the topics you'll be learning. This brings the topics to life.

Now, do you want to get into international business or another specialization? Going in with a dollar figure doesn't help if you don't know what you are best suited for.
Yeah, I've ruled out online programs.... Although I do get a 20% discount at Keiser University Online....

When I went to college I went to a community college first, graduated then moved on to a 4 year w/ 2 years already in... Saved me buttloads of money and I still graduated with the same degree and knowledge as my peers.... Can I do something similar w/ a graduate degree?

I think Business is just too broad to be honest..../ Everyone and their momma has a business degree, it's the default almost in undergrad... So w/ Grad school I think I want to concentrate on something else....

hmmmm I ma best suited for a job where I can rest on my butt while others do work around me... does that help ?

I do find business interesting, as well as Wall Street as a whole, Entrepreneurship (I have already ruled this out though) and what makes businesses run (processes etc...) Maybe Operations related? I think I want to stay away from complicated numbers though and anything that will require holing up in a library for hours (as a job i mean)
Fuckin' deznice started it

ASK ME ANYTHING! http://www.formspring.me/deznice
Old 04-27-2010, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

You need to get into upper management then. Be sure to take electives in Organizational Behavior, Interpersonal Dynamics and Communication, and Globalization and Emerging Markets.
Old 04-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dee
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Does that mean that you can get an MBA for Lower Management?
Old 04-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

You can get one to be an investor, middle management in a large corporation, and specialties in entrepreneurship, financing, accounting, real estate, nonprofit, and marketing. I was going off his desire to sit on his ass while other people work and concentrate on a better balance of work/home life. Upper management in a corporation have a better chance to set their own hours and their strenghts are delegating tasks to qualified people and leading.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Well the one thing about an MBA is don't look at the dollar signs yet, look at the direction you want to take. Really its a choice you need to make. I myself am going into a New Venture/Entrepreneurship specialization.

What will really differentiate you is a vertical. While the classes are great, the ability to apply it to specific verticals is where you can make the difference. I'm more in the Technology and Engineering vertical(cause of CS undergrad and Software Engineering grad). So in my case I would have two options: one is to start my own tech venture, the second is to join a starting tech venture as a partner.

The one thing about an MBA is you can always fall back on Consulting, but like I said go in it with a specific direction in mind and out with knowledge about a specific vertical. Consulting allows for alot more freedom than most think. You set your own hours and pick who you work with. Look at the big guys like Deloitte, Accenture, KPMG, and Ernst and Young.

Online = No. Part time definitely. Be in class. While the letters MBA are great you will really make relationships in class. Everyone will be very experienced and very driven. In my program we have several VPs of big companies who are in the exec program to go to EVP. Everyone in class will take every second seriously because it means dollars to them.

Also, contrary to undergraduate and most graduate, the more expensive schools are indeed the better schools. Kellogg and Booth, both here in Chicago, are six figures easy for the whole program. But their students are Fortune 100-500.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Depending on the position, I don't hold MBAs any higher than the average Arts degree. The business for which I work, however, sees value in them.

IMHO management training is a skill, rather than a a true academic discipline.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Yes.

I did mine 4 1/2 years at night. 66 credits, 15 per year. It was painful and one of my proudest moments.

I think in general it's just a little boost that shows how serious you are about your career.

I found that the #1 thing that my MBA taught me was how to write. Which is interesting, since it was an MBA in Computer Systems.

Personally, I don't think you should drop a boatload of cash on it. I don't think you'll ever recoup the investment.

Don't have much more advice than that.

Last edited by BrianAlt; 04-27-2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Ha! Nice proof of my writing!
Old 04-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Dee
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

How do you manage it without spending a bunch on it?