Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 04-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Doctor Who

So - new Doctor, new TARDIS, new companion, new show runner, new look, new thread - what did you think?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #2 (permalink)

It was amazing! matt smith is a great doctor up there with tennant
Old 04-03-2010, 08:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just finished it and I liked it. It's gonna take me a while to get use to Matt Smith but so far so good. I really hope they'll give this doctor a darker side. Near the end of David Tennant's run as the doctor he stopped being so cheery and I thought it was a great change of pace.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #4 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Weird Al tickets and a new Doctor Who. I guess this wasn't a bad week after all. But really... a new TARDIS? Can't wait to watch this.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:27 AM   #5 (permalink)

Also a new Sonic Screwdriver, it isn't blue anymore.
Old 04-04-2010, 03:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

I loved the new episode. The new doctor breaking in the new body is always fun to watch. I didn't like the new version of the theme tune as much as the BBC national orchestra of Wales version from the last series, but the doctor is always changing and so does the theme, I'll get used to it.

I have had the chance to meet some of the production crew that worked on the last series at an event they put on in the millennium centre, but when they are filming in or around the city I always find out after the event.
Old 04-04-2010, 04:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

awesome show! i started watching this show in 2005, hate when they changed doctors, but this episode was a winner!
my usb hub finally broke, so i bought a tardis hub from amazon =)

dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink dont blink

Aquaponics in Paradise
Old 04-04-2010, 05:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Loved everything, except the new screwdriver :/ Wished they kept it blue.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:58 AM   #9 (permalink)

How did I forget about the new screwdriver?

I think my main take away from the first episode is that Steven Moffat is brilliant, the show couldn't be in better hands. The script was the right balance of funny and scary. He has that very Doctor Who way of writing things that are disconcerting not just for how strange they are but for how familiar.
He's also much better at plotting than RT Davies ever was, so I expect the series wide story to end satisfactorily and fewer sonic screwdriver solutions (this episode was pretty much a statement to that intent).

I like the new, darker look - more dark fairytale than the previous neon adventure. I hear they intend to change the cinematographer every two episodes so the series should stay fresh and visually interesting.

The companion is great - bold without being annoying and sexy without feeling like she's trying too hard. I have a thing for redheads - blame comic books.

Matt Smith isn't quite there yet but that's ok, he spent most of the episode 'cooking' and he was much better that I expected; even if it did feel like he was doing an impersonation at times, rather than acting.

I was saying on twitter that I love how the most powerful man in all of the universe and all of time has decided to dress like Jimmy Olsen. It would be hilarious if The Doctor single-handedly and unironically brought back the bow-tie; Barry Allen would be proud.

The new TARDIS is beautiful, a baffling fantasy thing that still feels like a working machine, needing only the right kind of thinking to pilot. The music on the opening titles is poor but the sequence itself wasn't bad - suggesting more danger and more hiding behind sofas.

Overall, a hell of a start and a regeneration for the series as a whole. Can't wait for more.
Old 04-04-2010, 09:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

I was pretty pesimistic about this new Doctor from the previews, but he really pulled the first episode off. Looks like there is good things to come. Loved the new compainion as well.