Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-11-2009, 11:26 AM   #1 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Dre Beats headphones

I'm thinking about saving money for those babies, or for their earphone version.

Wont probably happen anytime soon, but i'm thinking about it.

Anyone tried those? Are they worth the monster price?

I would really love to finally listen to music in a hi-fidelity way, and i dont have the space or the money for a home system.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 12:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Aspie...dur...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
I'm thinking about saving money for those babies, or for their earphone version.

I would really love to finally listen to music in a hi-fidelity way, and i dont have the space or the money for a home system.
I know MattB has the earbuds. I think he likes them.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

At my local Apple retail store they have them out to try them.
I also saw them at Fry's, electronics store, I tried them on there, they have a lot of bass and very good noise canceling.

I only had them on for a few seconds, and they were the over the ear ones not the buds.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:18 AM   #4 (permalink)

A bit overpriced... I'd personally go with a nice pair of grados instead...
Old 08-12-2009, 01:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Lots of good info here HeadRoom

I love my Grado SR60's. I wouldn't mind trying out a set of
Etymotic's...
Old 08-12-2009, 05:06 AM   #6 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Being that i'm not exactly rich, i was thinking to go for the earbud version (the anti-tangle cable is also a nice touch). Apparently, the Dre ones have a powerful bass, which is usually very prominent in the type of music i'm into. I dont get, though, if the noise cancellation works only with headphones or with the earphones too.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post

yes yes yes get them, if you are a true audiophile they are worth the money
Old 08-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

These are closed cans, so they won't and can't sound as natural as open designs for the same $$$. If you don't require isolation and a built-in amp, definitely consider Grado SR80s (or 60s). I would be really really shocked if these really sound better than $70 grados (Grados can be found for under $100 and will knock your socks off with quality).

They have an in-line iphone mic which is a nice feature, but for $20 you can buy an adapter to convert any headphones to this feature.

They have Monster and Dre branding, so you can count on the fact that you are paying a decent sum to license these names, with no real payoff.

$300 is an absurd amount to pay considering that you will likely be carrying them around with you and beating them up. Headphones that leave the house are not durable goods. Breaking $300 cans will break your wallet. Consider whether you would spend that sum twice after you eventually damage them, when you consider whether to get them at all. If you're buying them to listen in your apartment, leaking sound and outside noise won't be a problem, so there is no reason not to just get some Grados.

there are lots of reviews out there that say these are good, but most qualify the statement by saying that they damn well better be for the price, and no one is gushing about them having great value. Any closed phones with good reviews are probably a quality product, but we're talking about $300. There are pretty good Sennsheiser closed models out there for about half the price of the Dre Beats.

I read several places that Best Buy has these to try before you buy. No doubt they will be much better than iPod buds or cheap Sonys.

In my opinion the second best headphones I've ever heard under $100 are the Koss KSC75 clips which can be purchased at Amazon for under $15 (don't let the price fool you, these are really great sounding headphones). I recommend that you buy a pair of the Koss clips and go to Best Buy to compare them to the Dre Beats. The Koss are about 80% as good as a pair of Grados, whereas ipod buds are maybe 30% as good. At least you can compare them to some very-affordable good-quality cans. If you're used to driving a 20 year old civic, then you test-drive a $50,000 BMW, it doesn't mean that you shouldn't consider/testdrive a $20,000 Camry before laying out the duckets.

In summary: if you want big sound from big cans, you aren't worried about breaking $300 phones, and you must have closed headphones these seem to be good cans but not an outstanding value.

Also: there is already a good headphone thread around here if you search for it. You may want to read through it and consider some other options before dropping that kind of cash.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreydNot View Post
Lots of good info here HeadRoom

I love my Grado SR60's. I wouldn't mind trying out a set of
Etymotic's...
I have the ER6i and they aren't nearly as good as your SR60s. I'd recommend buying a pair of cheap in-canal headphones before spending big bucks and finding out the hard way that you hate wearing them (like I did).

Consider Koss KSC75 or Sennsheiser PX100 for portables if an closed design isn't a requirement (Koss for the best sound, or Sennsheiser for adequate sound and great design). Both sound better than my Etymotics.

Last edited by jeffdrafttech; 08-16-2009 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-16-2009, 11:36 PM   #10 (permalink)

http://www.keithandthegirl.com/forum...-thread-10181/