Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 01-17-2009, 10:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Yes it does. You click "Source" on the top left, choose DVD/Video_TS folder. Navigate to your DVD drive (in my case F). It will process some shit for a minute. Next you pick what you're going to be playing it on from the profiles on the right. In your case, iPod. Choose your destination folder and click Start.

This is about as simple as it gets for ripping and converting video as it's a lot more complex a process than audio.

edit: Should also say this process doesn't work well if the disc has copy protection. You'll need to take extra steps to get past that. Ripping the disc ahead of time with DVDecrypter and then making the resulting VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive the source works. For more advanced copy protection, non-free software like AnyDVD may be necessary.

Steam | Gamertag | Twitter | YouTube

Last edited by Sokkratez; 01-17-2009 at 10:50 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokkratez View Post
Yes it does. You click "Source" on the top left, choose DVD/Video_TS folder. Navigate to your DVD drive (in my case F). It will process some shit for a minute. Next you pick what you're going to be playing it on from the profiles on the right. In your case, iPod. Choose your destination folder and click Start.

This is about as simple as it gets for ripping and converting video as it's a lot more complex a process than audio.

It sounds like it has improved since the last time i tried it a couple years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokkratez View Post
edit: Should also say this process doesn't work well if the disc has copy protection. You'll need to take extra steps to get past that. Ripping the disc ahead of time with DVDecrypter and then making the resulting VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive the source works. For more advanced copy protection, non-free software like AnyDVD may be necessary.
So, it only works for pirated movies? You need to find other software to copy the DVD then rip it?

I have some software on my desktop that will rip a commercial DVD to a Divix file without any bullshit. It set me back about $25. It doesn't make you jump through hoops to figure out which audio track to use and which files are the actual feature, it just has a button to start the rip after you insert the disc. It does a decent job about 80% of the time, but divix doesn't play on ipods, the video quality is around 420i-quality, and sometimes the audio and video are out of sync by the end of the movie.

If the almost-there software I have can rip the disc without all of the nerdy file-choosing and copy protection bullshit, there must be quality software out there somewhere that can do the same thing.

I would pay for decent software for this purpose. I'm not looking for bootleg or freeware garbage.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:15 PM   #13 (permalink)

So wait, you paid 25$ for software that only works 80% of the time and has sync issues? The internet is dangerous place for your wallet.

And asking for help, getting it, then calling the people who helped you nerds? Dick move.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Yeah, Handbrake ftw
Old 01-18-2009, 02:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

Yeah, I really don't need to help you anymore. I know exactly what you want and it'll be free, but you're being a prick about it. Sorry. Go waste more money.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

Stop being a weirdo Jeff. I use Handbrake to rip DVDs all the time - ones I get from the store. It rips in al sorts of formats too - for my ipod, my TV or my AppleTV, also for the xbox. Awesome and so simple to use. AND FREE.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:58 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by standardman View Post
So wait, you paid 25$ for software that only works 80% of the time and has sync issues? The internet is dangerous place for your wallet.

And asking for help, getting it, then calling the people who helped you nerds? Dick move.
Yep. I spent the cash because it worked on the discs I tried during the trial. Rather than list a bunch of obscure files, it automatically picked out the feature file and the english 2-channel audio track and went to work, shrugging off copy protection. It's Xilsoft DVD to Divix Converter v4.0

I tried handbrake several years ago and it wouldn't work for commercial DVDs. It also produced unacceptable video quality. I know there are ways to copy the dvd onto the hard drive without CSS, then convert those files with handbrake, but that is a clunky slow way of going about what can be a simple task. I know it's possible to do it straight from the disc because the Divix software I bought does this.

What I was hoping to hear about is one that does this simply, like the divix software I bought, but doesn't have the issues I had with the Xilsoft product.

Xilsoft makes an ipod converter product but I'm not buying more software from them due to the issues I mentioned earlier.

If you were offended by being called a nerd, I apologize. I'm ornery when I'm drinking.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #18 (permalink)

Location: Gran, you might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something that he does in the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech View Post
OK nerds. Seriously.
ok fuckwad. srsly.

i use handbrake every few days to rip netflix movies. the app works fine.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #19 (permalink)

Location: Gran, you might have noticed that my boyfriend glitters. It's just something that he does in the sun
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech View Post
I tried handbrake several years ago and it wouldn't work for commercial DVDs.
several years ago? do you have any clue how software or the internet works? thats like... 1 internet year is like... 25 real years. shit is constantly changing and being updated. just curious how old are you?
Old 01-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I appreciate everyone's help...I'm gonna try Handbrake. Tanks!!