Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 11-01-2010, 09:36 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeloader1 View Post
Anyone read the Terry Goodkind series its got like 11 or 12 really thick books in it I've only read the first one and am currently trying to get the other ones.
They're really good, and IMO they get better as they go along (except The Pillars of Creation, should have been a short story, not a book in the series).

He does get quite preachy in the last three books, though.

If you can't make it all the way through, at least read through Faith of the Fallen, it's the best in the series.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siric View Post
They're really good, and IMO they get better as they go along (except The Pillars of Creation, should have been a short story, not a book in the series).

He does get quite preachy in the last three books, though.

If you can't make it all the way through, at least read through Faith of the Fallen, it's the best in the series.
I enjoyed The Pillars of Creation. I didn't think I would after reading the reviews, but it was my favorite up to this point.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post
Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee two days to go:

....Very Excited - I'm buying the audiobook so I can listen to it at work.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangeone View Post
I've read most of the books following Drizzt without playing D&D, just fell out of it recently with the last trilogy. The Icewind Dale Trilogy is a good read, but if you want to start with Drizzt's story from the beginning, you'll want The Dark Elf Trilogy.

Currently re-reading The Codex Alera.
Love the Forgotten Realms books. The dark elf trilogy is really good. The Elminster books are pretty good too. Recently I have gotten into the Warhammer world and the Malus Darkblade and Felix and Gortek omnibuses are a good way to get engaged into the world.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofadeeznizzles View Post
I've enjoyed George R.R. Martin but would like him to hurry the fuck up and write another book.
You'll Jynx it if you're mean to him.

I like anything by Raymond E. Feist and The Belgariad by David Eddings. I first got into epic fantasy by reading the Wheel of Time series, all the cool kids at school were obsessed with it and kept pressuring me to try it. Not even kidding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Brumski View Post
Any Drizzt books? I'd be curious if someone would care to read those if they weren't into D&D.
I have never played D&D, I tried reading the Icewind Dale or whatever it's called but found it to be too paint by numbers fantasy, this would have more to do with so much D&D influence on other fantasy works than the quality of the actual books.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:17 AM   #16 (permalink)

Wow, I've actually read everything in this thread so far. I can't believe anyone thought Faith of the Fallen was a good book. Faith of the Fallen book summary: Richard kidnapped because he's a retard, forced to live under communism. He spends the entire book converting people to capitalism, then makes a statue that convinces everyone that capitalism is the better way. Tune in next time for a long story about a girl and her fucking goat, whose entire plot could have been avoided if she talked to ANYBODY.

Now, for good reading, someone mentioned the Codex books. I think Butcher's other series, The Dresden Files, are my favorite books right now. This series starts with Storm Front.

For a supernatural series written by a woman, from a woman's point of view, there's Kim Harrison's The Hallows series. The main character made some choices where I was like WTF, but some women told me I just didn't understand it was right. This series starts with Dead Witch Walking.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:38 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhian View Post
I like Marian Zimmer Bradley but only the ones before she passed away.

Then again, I am a chick, but it's epic and classic to me
I just love the Mists of Avalon. Definitely epic and classic.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:40 AM   #18 (permalink)

Raymond E Fiest - Great books all of them, but I especially like the Serpent War saga.

Trudy Canavan - The Magician's Apprentice ( Plus all its sequals ). Great stuff.

Robin Hobb - The Liveship Traders ( and other series by her, although all the serpent shit gets a bit boring ).

slurp.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:15 AM   #19 (permalink)

Does anyone know where I can get the first book in the wheel of time series. I want to read the series but I want to start from book one and I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:50 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeloader1 View Post
Does anyone know where I can get the first book in the wheel of time series. I want to read the series but I want to start from book one and I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Eye of the World. I see it everytime I go into a big bookstore, it can't really be that hard. Or did you mean New Spring? either way.