Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 11-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsy View Post
Hay! I just started reading this! I'm liking it a lot so far.

My current favorite fantasy book is

I've read it like 4 times and listened to the audio book like twice. The motherfucker is taking his sweet ass time coming out with the sequel, considering it should have been out last year april!
That's my issue with these long "epic" stories - the wait time between books. I got hooked on the Wheel of Time at book 11, so my wait is nothing compared to people who got in in 1990 with Eye of the World and had to wait 20+ YEARS to get the complete story. I try to find series that are done and I don't have to wait....I'm really not patient enough at all.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #42 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I agree with FlyingCamel..I try to find a series that's finished, so I don't have to wait years. But some of these sound great.

Some that haven't been mentioned yet:
These two are targeted toward adolescents, but are still good:
Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis (starts with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe)

Chronicles of Prydain by Lloyd Alexander (starts with The Book of Three)

The Shannara Trilogy by Terry Brooks (starts with the Sword of Shannara)

Thieve's World by Robert Lynn Asprin This one is unique in that it has become a "shared" world with many authors contributing books and/or stories (such as Marion Zimmer Bradley)
Thieves' World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dennis McKiernan wrote a trilogy and a dulogy, that is a lot like Tolkien, but darker. If you liked Tolkien, start with "The Dark Tide"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_L._McKiernan

I've read many of the series in these threads, but I wanted to make a couple comments about some of them:

The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series by Stephen R. Donaldson:
Loved the books, but there are a few times it gets really drawn out. Sometimes he describes the world or the journey in such detail that it seems he describing every rock and tree along the path. If you can get through the long parts, it's a really good read. Really good. Stick with it if you start it.

The Elric Saga by Michael Moorcock:
The "hero" is actually a fairly evil dude, but good relative to the rest of his race. His character is an iconic antihero. And that sword. That fucking sword... If you haven't read these, you should.

Raymond E. Feist, the Magician series:
This might be my favorite trilogy (it starts with Magician: Apprentice) I've read the trilogy 4 times. My favorite scene is when he kicks ass in the arena and confronts the Warlord. But I've said too much!!
Old 11-11-2010, 09:36 PM   #43 (permalink)

The Terry Goodkind, Sword of Truth books are good (you can skip the Law of Nines though... suckfest!)

The Drizzt books are good, however not all Forgotten Realms books are worth the pages they are printed on.

If you want Epic, read Stephen King's Dark Tower books! It's not fantasy per se, but they are epic.

Right now I'm reading Jim Butcher's, Storm Front (Dresden Files books). Very surprised on the quality and interesting as well.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:52 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gym_wizard View Post
The Drizzt books are good, however not all Forgotten Realms books are worth the pages they are printed on.
I just finished The Ghost King, I think the second newest Drizzt book, worst one ever, but the rest are pretty good.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #45 (permalink)

I agree about the Dark Tower series. Not exactly fantasy but just excellent fucking books.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Brumski View Post
I just finished The Ghost King, I think the second newest Drizzt book, worst one ever, but the rest are pretty good.
Yea! Talk about confusing! And I thought it was me. lol
Old 11-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofadeeznizzles View Post
I agree about the Dark Tower series. Not exactly fantasy but just excellent fucking books.
Can't say enough about the Dark Tower books. I don't know how many times I've re-read them.

... All this talk, time to bust them out again.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:53 AM   #48 (permalink)

Walter Moers is my new favorite author. He writes these epic tombs that take place is the lost continent of Zamonia (where Atlantis was before it flew into space). The books are kind of like Douglas Adams meets talking animals who live their whole lives full of adventure, danger, and blood shed. In Rumo and The Alcamaster's Apprentice there is tons of torture.

His descriptions, like his action scenes, are like candy for the reader's soul.
TwitterAsk me anything.KaTG Ethnography