Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 06-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #21 (permalink)

South Africa managed to draw Mexico I'd call that a victory in a way. Mexico was on the attack for most of the game.

France has their shit together. Good group so far!

USA vs UK is gonna be off the hook! Can't wait!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:24 PM   #22 (permalink)

England over Germany. Take that Michael Ballack.

Oh and I'll be rooting for England tomorrow.

Today was NOT the kind of soccer that will convince any non-fan to continue watching. What boring football.

Spain will choke, Brazil will go far but fall, Netherlands and Argentina are highly talented but will both crumble in the end and the US will make it to the knockout round but lose to Germany in the group of sixteen.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatterDaySaint View Post
South Africa managed to draw Mexico I'd call that a victory in a way.
i played soccer back when no one in the US played so i feel i can say this. Any game that ends after 90 freaking minutes in a 1-1 draw is sto0pid. It may be the world's game and the beautiful game but it's sto0pid. And the diving, geebuz . . let 'em use their hands, and hit each other and throw it . . wait . . oh yeah . . nevermind
Old 06-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncast View Post
Today was NOT the kind of soccer that will convince any non-fan to continue watching. What boring football.
Semi-agree. I wouldn't call it boring necessarily, but it would easily test the patience of someone who isn't a fan of the sport. The games kinda felt like teases, jerkin' you off to think someone might win/score....and in the end, both times, nobody did. No finish.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #25 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Each game of the first round is part of a trilogy for each team, so going scoreless is not the whole story and not the end of the world by any stretch. I enjoyed the tussle of France vs Uruguay quite a bit despite the lack of goals.

Having said that, Tshabalala's goal was a fucking beauty. That was the perfect opener for this tournament, and having the hosts hold on for the draw was a good result all round.

As for the vuvuzelas, I didn't mind them in the first two matches because none of the other three sides have fans who're noted for their noise. The horns might piss me off more if they drown out the likes of the Danish, English or Brazilian fans, who bring the party atmosphere with singing or samba drums. I just hope the FIFA TV producers have enough savvy to position the stadium mics in such a way that those fans can be heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim50 View Post
In a blind draw at the office I ended up with Spain and Netherlands, not too bad! I'll be cheering on the USA, but if we can't do it, I hope one of those teams win so I get money.
Two of the three favourites, that's sweet dude. How much moolah is in the pot?
Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #26 (permalink)

If you could all hope against Germany that would be awesome. As Australia are in Group D too along with Serbia and Ghana. Really, come on. Serbia started all those wars in Yugoslavia, who even knows where the fuck Ghana is and Germany, do I even have to start with Germany? So clearly Australia should be the moral victors of this group, we were with you on the Kokoda Track, until around 1910 the USA sold Australia all our ice.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:35 AM   #27 (permalink)

World Cup summed up in one image:

Last edited by Incognito; 06-12-2010 at 01:19 AM.
Old 06-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #28 (permalink)

If the US can actually upset England maybe this country will actually start caring about the sport. I'll keep my fingers crossed
Old 06-12-2010, 01:15 AM   #29 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFT View Post
Agree with bucho, that south african goal was a definite beauty.

Mexico should have scored that first goal, right? the one where he was called offside, with a defender on the goal line.
No, it's not the easiest rule to understand sometimes but to put it simply there needs to be two players between the ball and the line.

Usually the goalkeeper is one of them because in most cases (like 99.999% of cases) he's between the striker and the goal but at the moment that particular shot occured the SA keeper had already advanced, misjudged and missed the ball, and found himself out of position. Ironically it was the keeper's error of judgement, being out of position, that put the striker offside.

So it was actually a very good call by the officials to rule it out.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:37 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
The horns might piss me off more if they drown out the likes of the Danish, English or Brazilian fans, who bring the party atmosphere with singing or samba drums. I just hope the FIFA TV producers have enough savvy to position the stadium mics in such a way that those fans can be heard.
I heard some BBC audio engineers speculating about this on the radio. Alas, it looks pretty inevitable all the singing is going to be utterly obliterated by the vuvuzela parpageddon.

Now roll on pub time. U! S! A! #2! Silver Medal!