Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 03-22-2009, 11:17 PM   #291 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
I thought about it some more....

yep, completely sucked ass. they dry sticked me. fuck them. it took four years of mounting nonsense to just build up to the end and post a sign that says "these plot holes were filled by god"

shared visions. god.

mythical quests across the universe. god

random resurrection of non cylon human characters. god.

ghosts, angels, insanity. god.

music and paintings leading people around the universe. god.

the meaning of every casualty in the show. god.

complete lack of awesome space cinematography that defined the series early seasons. god.

the bleeding asshole of loyal viewers. you guessed it, god.

gay gay GAY gay GAY!
Have to agree with you there. I remember in the earlier seasons I really didn't have a lot of questions other then HOLY FUCKING SHIT HOW ARE THEY GOING TO SURVIVE THE CYLONS.

Once all the crazy shit started happening it just reminded me of lost.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:20 PM   #292 (permalink)

I don't defend it, but I did enjoy it.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #293 (permalink)

Yea I have to say even though this whole season has been a let down I still enjoyed the finale alot.

Also that Jimi hendrix cover they do with the pianos layered over is amazing. Anyone know where to find it?
Old 03-23-2009, 12:25 AM   #294 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
I thought about it some more....

yep, completely sucked ass. they dry sticked me. fuck them. it took four years of mounting nonsense to just build up to the end and post a sign that says "these plot holes were filled by god"

shared visions. god.

mythical quests across the universe. god

random resurrection of non cylon human characters. god.

ghosts, angels, insanity. god.

music and paintings leading people around the universe. god.

the meaning of every casualty in the show. god.

complete lack of awesome space cinematography that defined the series early seasons. god.

the bleeding asshole of loyal viewers. you guessed it, god.

gay gay GAY gay GAY!
Faster than light travel? god

Using nukes when you have the energy to power FTL and it can be weaponized? god

Sentient robots? god

All the other crazy stuff on the show that's not really science, but works within the universe because it has to? god

It's fiction. You can dislike that they used a deus ex machina, but it's one of the oldest tools in fiction, and you had to see it coming. Visions of angels and dreams that predicted the future have been on the show from the get. Perhaps you convinced yourself otherwise, but this was always on the way.

It's fine. An angry sci-fi fan dissatisfied with a series finale? I'm pretty sure the world will get over it.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:14 AM   #295 (permalink)

I don't have a problem with that being the overall point of the story, god giving a single clever nudge that set the machine in motion, something like that. But it's poor writing when every single detail gets to be chalked up to "god", has to be chalked up to god(I guess because God isn't clever enough to be less hands on, and I further guess God failed his own heavy handed plan when, on a whim, all of humanity decided to go back to living in caves). I saw the writing early on, and there were certainly religious aspects built in, but every single event, important or not, going unfulfilled(except to say god made me do it)? Even interpersonal relationships, individual characters' story arcs, all just tossed away. Characters growing or withering on their own, all BS, god was their copilot(let's just ignore the faith testing question, though)

If you want to say they established it's precedent early on in the series, you at least have to be angry that they bothered to set up rules for the universe, if they intended to break them all in the end. Bad/inconsistent writing.

In the end, pretty much three seasons of the show can be edited out, it turns out they didn't matter to the story at all.

Applaud that if you like. I'm not.

I'm glad its over, at least. I half expected to see Fonzarelli piloting a raptor in the end, "threading a needle on a rollercoaster", up and over a shark.
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.

Last edited by spooky; 03-23-2009 at 01:39 AM.
Old 03-23-2009, 08:33 AM   #296 (permalink)

Location: Reston, VA also can be found in my cubical, because really thats where i live
i really liked the first and most of the second season, it was good when the purpose was survival, once they started getting really into the what is the meaning of life crap i would fast forward through those episodes. if they had kept it simple i think the series as a whole would have been better.

i felt the ending was melancholy but that is what you kind of expect, you where following the Sheppard’s for the heard and now that they found the home for the heard the Sheppard’s no longer had jobs no longer hard purpose and they all seemed to go off and die. if anything i felt bad for LEE because everything he had was gone now. his wife, his command, his father and his love, he worked extremely hard and now he had nothing, that kind of depressed me a little.

glad its over and a little disappointed something that started so good got so convoluted in the end.

you really make me want it - FFC
Old 03-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #297 (permalink)

Just watched the finale yesterday, it was alright. The battle was too quick, and the ending dragged on. They could have done without most of the flashbacks.
I want to know how Racetrack and Skulls got from being in the mutiny to doing the final recon mission, and what became of Seelix over any of Roslins boring flashbacks, or Adama refusing to take a lie detector test.

I'm looking forward to the 2-hour mini movie, "The Plan" but I don't think I'm going to be interested in "Caprica" down the road.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:27 PM   #298 (permalink)

Lee

It seems like they took Lee's ending off of the movie Blow. That probably wasn't the first time he hallucinated StarBuck.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #299 (permalink)

Most here have a problem with how inconsistent the story has been from the first season to the end. Where most of the story, bookended by the first and final season could be mostly omitted.

Well from a amateur story writer point of view. A story rarely doesn't evolve as it is written. The characters can change a story as it matures. Even though the author has creative control over the story arc as a whole, developing characters can influence the outcome and even the resolution.

Take Stephen King for example, some times he doesn't even know how a story will end when he is in the process of writing it. Those who have read the Dark Tower books know what I'm talking about.

I found the finale 4 out of 5 and BSG as a series a must see.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:46 PM   #300 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gym_wizard View Post
Well from a amateur story writer point of view. A story rarely doesn't evolve as it is written. The characters can change a story as it matures. Even though the author has creative control over the story arc as a whole, developing characters can influence the outcome and even the resolution.

Take Stephen King for example, some times he doesn't even know how a story will end when he is in the process of writing it. Those who have read the Dark Tower books know what I'm talking about.

I found the finale 4 out of 5 and BSG as a series a must see.
If you don't know the ending before you start the actual writing, you're wasting time on what will inevitably be a shit piece of work(and you probably won't ever be able to publish, King being a rare exception). Starting with a MacGuffin is one thing, but not having a clue how it ends up doesn't afford you much chance to properly sculpt a story. How will you know what parts you write move the story along, how do you know what is a clue to the reader and what is just fluff?

Ive listened to the DVD commentary for BSG, they didnt know shit about where it was going beforehand. And this is what we wound up with, an ending that wasnt written well, that didnt answer any questions beyond the eventual fate of some of the characters. Shame on me for not abandoning it earlier on. Shame on you, being a writer, for giving them a pass on bad craft work.