Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 03-23-2009, 03:53 PM   #301 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
Starting with a MacGuffin is one thing, but not having a clue how it ends up doesn't afford you much chance to properly sculpt a story. How will you know what parts you write move the story along, how do you know what is a clue to the reader and what is just fluff?
Not true. I have an outline of a story but the story inevitably crafts itself.

Quote:
Ive listened to the DVD commentary for BSG, they didnt know shit about where it was going beforehand.
That just proves what I said before.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:15 PM   #302 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gym_wizard View Post
Not true. I have an outline of a story but the story inevitably crafts itself.
Saying it is an organic process is one thing, but if you were taught in school that it writes itself, I think you should consider finding another school. Building a story is like building a house, there's a process and a certain level of craftsmanship that is required for it to be up to code. You can argue that you can build it without a plan, without a carpenter, and maybe you can, but I am going to bet 99 out of 100 homes built this way will be complete shit, like the finale of BSG was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gym_wizard View Post
That just proves what I said before.
How old are you(college, high school, younger, older)?

I feel like, and maybe I'm clouded in judgment by my disdain for the poor writing of the finale, you're pulling a McNally here, saying you can craft good art without knowing what you're doing, and BSG proves it.

Too many potentially great stories are ruined by starting with an awesome premise and working forward, instead of finding an awesome ending, and writing backwards.
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #303 (permalink)

Quote:
Saying it is an organic process is one thing, but if you were taught in school that it writes itself, I think you should consider finding another school. Building a story is like building a house, there's a process and a certain level of craftsmanship that is required for it to be up to code. You can argue that you can build it without a plan, without a carpenter, and maybe you can, but I am going to bet 99 out of 100 homes built this way will be complete shit, like the finale of BSG was.

How old are you(college, high school, younger, older)?

I feel like, and maybe I'm clouded in judgment by my disdain for the poor writing of the finale, you're pulling a McNally here, saying you can craft good art without knowing what you're doing, and BSG proves it.

Too many potentially great stories are ruined by starting with an awesome premise and working forward, instead of finding an awesome ending, and writing backwards.
I take my story-crafting as an organic process, as you so finely put it. And I agree with your analogy, but creativity; as I'm sure you know (as an artist) is a ever evolving craft and improves with each telling of a story or expression of a concepts.

I'm not making apologies for BSG- if you don't like it, you don't like it.

Working with an ending and working backwards is a valid story writing method- one the BSG writers obviously didn't observe.

btw I'm 36, hetero, two kids, not married, never published anything (never attempted), music is in my soul.

Last edited by gym_wizard; 03-23-2009 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Edit:
Old 03-23-2009, 05:13 PM   #304 (permalink)

Don't the majority of televisions series start out not having a game plan for the end? They may have a season long arc, but for the most part they make it up as they go.
Old 03-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #305 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by picard102 View Post
Don't the majority of televisions series start out not having a game plan for the end? They may have a season long arc, but for the most part they make it up as they go.
Movies do that alot too, when you hear of re-shoots of scenes and hell for that matter we even get alternate endings with our DVDs
Old 03-23-2009, 06:08 PM   #306 (permalink)

I thought the finale was about as good as they could have done. I was dissapointed they went with the "higher power" angle, though I wasn't suprised, since the show has been god(s)-heavy from the very beginning. I liked how they tied in the opera house with the scene on Galactica, and everyone ending up on our Earth at the end, though Jesus-Starbuck dissapearing into thin air pissed me off.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:14 AM   #307 (permalink)

"Earth"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzbot View Post
I thought the finale was about as good as they could have done. I was dissapointed they went with the "higher power" angle, though I wasn't suprised, since the show has been god(s)-heavy from the very beginning. I liked how they tied in the opera house with the scene on Galactica, and everyone ending up on our Earth at the end, though Jesus-Starbuck dissapearing into thin air pissed me off.

I nearly cried when Starbuck vanished. and its "Earth" the preverbal one the were searching for this whole time.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:41 PM   #309 (permalink)

I like it!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:12 PM   #310 (permalink)

Yeah, good link. Thanks man.