Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 03-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #281 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by basserino View Post
^^that was the head six, and the head baltar, who I believe were more of a greek chorus than literal. It was definitely not the literal caprica six and baltar.
hence the familiar references to God ok fine
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #282 (permalink)

Yeah, I was slightly confused for a second, thought they made another set of cylons but in "their image" or something.

One thought that I had while watching it was that the robots themselves. Everyone sees it as another cycle. I think I might disagree somewhat.

The robots that were there were simple, goofy robots. Everyone is complaining that they were goofy. Maybe that's the point. They weren't showing violent fighting robots that were trying to attack people, but robots that were dancing, playing music, being silly. They weren't under "servitude"

I'd prefer silly robots. I don't think that's how it started initially when all of this first happened, and maybe that's what it takes to break the cycle, which is why the Caprica "angel" stated what she did, that maybe there was something special.

Regardless, to all the people that said that the season wouldn't wrap up well and that it would be horrible, and to expect a flop can suck it :P
Old 03-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #283 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
The robots that were there were simple, goofy robots. Everyone is complaining that they were goofy. Maybe that's the point. They weren't showing violent fighting robots that were trying to attack people, but robots that were dancing, playing music, being silly. They weren't under "servitude"
Yeh, but all the robots they showed had no intelligence, so meh, showing them was a pointless as showing a microwave.

Anyway, the battle scene was great, but the ending sucked a big fat one. More pointless back story with no real answers that I can see, except that it was the hand of god all along. Hardly a clever way of wrapping things up.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:44 PM   #284 (permalink)

Um, I think that was the whole point of showing them, that they weren't robots that had the intent to, well, attack.

Can't please everyone, nothing they could have done to make EVERYONE happy. Nuffink.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:28 PM   #285 (permalink)

Quote:
Um, I think that was the whole point of showing them, that they weren't robots that had the intent to, well, attack.

Can't please everyone, nothing they could have done to make EVERYONE happy. Nuffink.
It's a useless point, though. It adds silliness to an otherwise serious moment. "All of this has happened before, but will it happen again?" It's plainly evident that that's the question asked at the end, and it's obvious that this society does have basic robotics starting, possibly precipitating another human-machine war.

Adding scenes of silly robots dancing, and making that the end shot of the series, is shoddy. The writers aren't making a case that the robots are nonviolent, they're simply making a case that robots exist in the here and now, and could potentially become like Cylons in the future, but any reasonably intelligent person could infer that without cutaways to googly-eyed robots dancing.

The shot of the human-looking robot is a clear Cylon reference. They're not saying it won't happen again, they're saying it might happen again. It's not definitive at all, and reading into it is a waste, because it's a shallow sequence. That's the real problem: that last sequence with dancing, googly-eyed robots is just that: dancing robots. It's about as deep as a puddle. We know we have robots. Anyone who has watched the show has wondered if human technology might eventually create a similar conundrum on Earth. To simply hammer that point right into the viewer at the end of an otherwise subtle, serious sequence is poor execution.

It's a weak coda to an otherwise good ending, and I stand by that. You can't please everyone, but who benefited from the shots of dancing robots? At best it can be misinterpreted, as above, and at worst it throws the tone off the entire ending. It doesn't please everyone, but in actuality it ought not please anyone.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:01 AM   #286 (permalink)

Quote:

I done give a fuck about pleasing evryone, they just had to please me
Old 03-22-2009, 03:53 AM   #287 (permalink)

i just saw the finale. I liked Danny Boyle's version better, it was called "A Life Less Ordinary", and it didn't take four years, just a couple hours to find out it was shitty.

The action scenes sucked, too.

Oh, and it managed to have more endings than Lord of The Rings.

And virtually nobody died. How "edgy".

fuck them
Old 03-22-2009, 09:27 PM   #288 (permalink)

I thought about it some more....

yep, completely sucked ass. they dry sticked me. fuck them. it took four years of mounting nonsense to just build up to the end and post a sign that says "these plot holes were filled by god"

shared visions. god.

mythical quests across the universe. god

random resurrection of non cylon human characters. god.

ghosts, angels, insanity. god.

music and paintings leading people around the universe. god.

the meaning of every casualty in the show. god.

complete lack of awesome space cinematography that defined the series early seasons. god.

the bleeding asshole of loyal viewers. you guessed it, god.

gay gay GAY gay GAY!
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #289 (permalink)

This season started falling apart after "Blood on the Scales" - the Gaeta and Zarek affair.

I would have loved it had they successfully kept the reigns over Galactica, changing the dynamic.

Here's my take:
---------------------------------------
Episode: Blood on the Scales

Gaeta and Tom Zarek succeed in taking over Galactia.

Adama and Tigh are about to be executed when Starkbuck and Apolo rescue them by killing off the execution squad. With Tyrol they move deeper into the bowels of Galactica into one on the many unused sections of the ship

President Roslyn demands that the Cylons storm Galactica.

Without Resurrection, the Cylons are unwilling. They see loss of life and no benefit.

Blatar agrees with the Cylons.

Roslyn says Blatar's only watching out for himself.

"No, Madam President," Baltar responds. "I'm watching out for Humanity."

Zarek still has Helo, Athena, and Hera.

Zarek has Helo held in a separate cell from his family. Through a small portal, they can see each other but can't hear each other.

On the Baseship Laura makes a scene. Baltar speaks to the Six and says Laura's taking this personally. That it's no secret she's in love with Adama and would risk everyone's life for him. The Skin-Jobs agree - Laura's unstable - they have her confined to her quarters, guarded by Centurions. She's furious.

On Galactica, Zarek meets with the Quorum. They revolt, just like the did the "official" version, but then one of Zarek's guards fires a shot. No one is hurt but the Quorum immediately shut up.

Zarek lays it on the line: He and Gaeta have taken over the Galatica and either you're with them or you're on you're welcome to leave the fleet.

Later we see Zarek leading a tour of Adama's quarters, showing Adama's extensive liquor collection, noting that it's been reported that he and his senior officers drink every night - and not synthetic stuff like everyone else does - Zarek also comments on Laura's use of recreational drugs.

"These are the people who decided who lived and died, who kept us all in slavery while they formed alliances with our enemies. Who every chance they had forgave those in their inner circle, no matter how horrendous the crime - while the rest of Humanity starved on ships barely able to support them."

"'So say we all?'" Zarek continues. "So say we all? No. It's never been we all. It's always been them - from the very first day it's always been, 'So say Adama and Roslin.'

-----

Next Episode: From Hell's Heart I Stab at Thee

Thee weeks have gone by.

In an unused deck, Adama, Tigh, Starbuck, Apolo, and Tyrol have been amassing arms. Starbuck wants to contact those on the ship who she believes are still loyal to Adama, but Adama rules against it. We see a flashback to a time when Gaeta and Adama were on the same side. "I can't trust anyone anymore," Adama says.

On the CIC, Gaeta and Zarek are discussing the Adama situation. They know Roslyn and the rest of the fleet think Gaeta and Zarek have Adama in the brig but in actuallity Gaeta and Zarek don't have a fraking idea what happened to them. Gaeta's men are doing a deck-by-deck sweep and haven't come up with anything.

"Maybe they were blown out an airlock," Gaeta suggests.

"No," Zarak says. "Until we find their dead bodies, they're still a treat to us. A dead man can only be used against you so far, besides his death will strike fear in your enemies, break their moral. On the other hand, a missing man becomes a ghost, an excuse for ever little frack-up and chance to strike back. They'll rally around him, praying that he'll come out of hiding, hoping for the day he strikes back. We need a body, gods dammit!"

Flashback to two weeks earlier:
Gata: "on my mark... three... two... engage FTLs"

We see the fleet wink away, leaving the Basestar behind.

"Where'd they go?" Baltar asks. Dream Six appears: "What's wrong, Gaius? Afraid you'll never have your harem again? Are you lost without your sheep?"

"They're not all gone," an Eight says. "There's still a rapt... It's launching nukes!" and we see the Basestar getting slammed with nukes.

"That's me -- call me crazy, call me a pervert, but this is something I enjoy."
- Boogie Nights

Last edited by william; 03-22-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #290 (permalink)

I wasn't dissapointed. Just sayn