Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 03-25-2009, 05:33 PM   #321 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by picard102 View Post
So how would you have ended it then?
that's off topic and not a reason why you are not qualified to offer critique(not that i think you are saying that)

Remember that episode when Kara is up against that cylon, I think they called him Scar? Remember how much personality it had?

Since we are dealing with the overall question of humanity, covering all the deadly sins, I probably would have made some Cylon faction believe that humans were Gods, remnants of whatever original programming that Asimov may have made up, "do no harm to humans, revere life", and were attempting, through manipulation of other cylons, to set them at war with humans to either prove the humans' status as gods or eliminate the unfaithful altogether. Exploring the moral/ethical faults in humanity by examing a twisted mirror of ourselves and our works sort of thing. I'm sure there could be some twists added, a cylon Judas maybe. Or at some point, Galactica fights these Cylons, forcing them to decide to fight or sacrifice their own lives for their "faith". Maybe they took a few humans with them when they left years ago, and where are they now? Could they have developed something to make these humans have a Cylon conscience? Taking that a step further, could there be some kind of body snatchers thing possible, where cylons can take a human body and essentially drive it around? What abuses of that power may happen as a result?

Thats just throwing shit out there, surely that alone is better than "God made it happen" as the answer for every single event that ever happened on the show. If I had a team of writers and more than 2 minutes to summon a plot, something better can surely be made of BSG.

Whats done is done, I'm glad I won't have to bother with the spin offs and movies coming up, as we already know the cop out the stories will be forced to end with.

Any of you BSG fans who remain loyal, care to explain how you will be able to sit through and enjoy any of the new stuff in the works, when you know that nothing that happens has any meaning to the story? That they will end it abruptly and again without explanation? Are you just going to be guessing which characters actually exist and which ones are angels? That's about the only thing entertaing I can think of to do as you watch and dismiss any apparent(though meaningless) story development. Does it bother you that they have drifted away from the awesome space battles and action in favor of soap opera style stories, one has to assume that that trend will continue. I wouldnt be surprised if they save money and eliminate it altogether. What reason do you have to go forward in this "universe" they created?
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 06:35 PM   #322 (permalink)

Let's make this simple.

Find me more than a small, SMALL handful of shows that have ended with any sense of accomplishment.

TV Shows, simply, don't end well. BSG is no exception to that rule.

So Moore and the like didn't have a decent plan to wrap up the series, very few shows do. I still enjoyed the series. I also *liked* the finale, but at the same time I was in it for the characters and their development.

There were some things I didn't like about how it wrapped up, but I'm willing to let that go for everything else that was there, honestly.

I know that it's dramatically different from NCFoM (was he behind the door, what happened to the money, etc) but what about all the other movies that leave the ending/future open for complete interpretation?

"God" has been a force throughout the entire series from day one. Everything was for "God's plan" - everything was leading up to finding out what that was, and exactly what it meant is up to the people to decide.

But in the end, I still challenge people to find TV shows that end well. It's hard enough to put a decent ending on a 2 hour movie, but to stuff an "ending" into 10 episodes when you've gone through 61 prior to this has to be a tough task.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:49 PM   #323 (permalink)

I saw the God references coming, and I did feel it was a cop-out. I personally can't think of how to end the show that would feel anything but bittersweet. I liked the ending, though it's far from perfect. I'm mostly happy that they got an ending... so many shows I love end up getting shitcanned without any chance to attempt to wrap things up (Carnivale anyone?)...
Old 03-25-2009, 07:01 PM   #324 (permalink)

Oh, so we aren't judging it on it's own merit, we are comparing it to the average, non award winning shows? Isn't that like comparing Oscar nominated movies to the average, Ewe Boll directed crap? Are you saying no movie has to end well, because the ones in the middle of the bell curve do not?

Even Dallas had a better ending. Rosanne, too. They, at least, didn't as drastically change the rules on you, suddenly declaring Dan Connor or JR Ewing as angels.

I answered your question, now answer mine. Are you going to watch any of the new stuff they drop on us knowing that nothing that happens in the plots have to make any sense, have any kind of relevance, knowing that behind every action, a heavy handed, dim witted God is doing everything? Kowing that at any time, they can pull the angel card and make anyone resurrect, disappear, have visions, perform magic, void character development?

Here is a lie for you, from Moore himself:
"This show was always meant to have a beginning, a middle and finally, an end. Over the course of the last year, the story and the characters have been moving strongly toward that end and we've decided to listen to those internal voices and conclude the show on our own terms," stated Eick and Moore. "On a personal level, it's been a creative privilege and an honor for all of us who work on the show and we know we'll be lucky to ever see its like again. And while we know our fans will be saddened to know the end is coming, they should brace themselves for a wild ride getting there - we're going out with a bang."

Last edited by spooky; 03-25-2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:17 PM   #325 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
Let's make this simple.

Find me more than a small, SMALL handful of shows that have ended with any sense of accomplishment.

TV Shows, simply, don't end well. BSG is no exception to that rule.

So Moore and the like didn't have a decent plan to wrap up the series, very few shows do. I still enjoyed the series. I also *liked* the finale, but at the same time I was in it for the characters and their development.

The whole catchphrase of the series was "They have a plan"... Turns out to be bullshit.

Yes, most series end poorly.. but BSG has been held up as something different, something special, and the end just fucked it up. I'd actually have preferred the network to have just canceled the series during the writers strike, then at least I could always have dream of what could have been.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:20 PM   #326 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
"we're going out with a bang."
The bang they meant was their fists going up our arse.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:16 PM   #327 (permalink)

Quote:
Does it bother you that they have drifted away from the awesome space battles and action in favor of soap opera style stories, one has to assume that that trend will continue.
I watch the show for the character development for the most part. The interaction between them, the political drama and the personal. The occasional space battle is welcomed, but there has to be something more to the show then explosions.

Quote:
Are you going to watch any of the new stuff they drop on us
I'll watch The Plan but from what I've seen of Caprica I'll likely not bother with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizzlewizzle View Post
The whole catchphrase of the series was "They have a plan"... Turns out to be bullshit.
For the most part yes, the plan seemed to be kill the humans. More of which we'll find out about in the upcoming movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andsoitgoes View Post
But in the end, I still challenge people to find TV shows that end well.
Deep Space Nine had an interesting series long arc that ended well. But they also completely disregarded that arc between the 3rd and 6th season.

Last edited by picard102; 03-25-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #328 (permalink)

Thats it. I've decided that no show is allowed to run for more than 2 series anymore.

Great stuff which only had show series.

The office (UK), Extras, Young Ones, Faulty Towers, FireFly, (dollhouse most likely) , The IT Crowd.

I'm starting to see a trend here, perhaps its jus the the US networks just suck the life out of TV.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #329 (permalink)

Season 3 is where things went a little wonky, Balter joining the baseship was where it the whole series got turned around. Mostly because they now had to explain who the final5 cylon models were.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:52 AM   #330 (permalink)

Since none of you Moore-whoresTM are going to admit your blind loyalty to the BSG universe, as nearly nobody is saying they WONT watch new stuff, are any of you fags still going to use the word "frak" in everyday conversation like its some high art geek badge of cool? Are you at all concerned that your real friends will take you aside and slap you in the face or grab your shoulders and shake you, screaming into your head-hole, "WAKE UP, FRAKTARD, THE JOKE IS ON YOU!!"

You know, because quoting from the biggest butt of a sciFi TV joke show just isn't cool anymore, not even in the tin foil over the windows basement of your Mom's house (that you call the batcave), over pen and paper D&D(Babylon 5 Edition) with your other daylight challenged, pimple faced, mouth breathing buddies in matching pizza and mountain dew stained ill fitting clothes.

Do you think, now that you'll stop using that word, you might actually get laid?