Keith and The Girl Forums

Keith and The Girl Forums (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/)
-   Talk Shite (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f6/)
-   -   Friends, let's share music with one another. (https://www.keithandthegirl.com/forums/f6/friends-lets-share-music-one-another-18756/)

Enunciated Piffle 08-28-2014 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bithead (Post 830876)
I just get something different out of music than others do.

That's cool you play piano. This last part threw me a bit though. What in particular do you get out of music that others do not?

bithead 08-28-2014 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enunciated Piffle (Post 830878)
That's cool you play piano. This last part threw me a bit though. What in particular do you get out of music that others do not?

The general population likes certain music because it's catchy or makes them want to dance. Whereas I tend to appreciate music that is technically difficult or complex to play/perform, and that is done so masterfully. Think of it this way... an audience hears a comedian tell a fucking hilarious joke and go ape-shit with laughter. A comedian listening to the same joke says "ha, that's funny" because they appreciate the technical things that needed to happen to make that joke work so well.

Enunciated Piffle 08-30-2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bithead (Post 830891)
Think of it this way... an audience hears a comedian tell a fucking hilarious joke and go ape-shit with laughter. A comedian listening to the same joke says "ha, that's funny" because they appreciate the technical things that needed to happen to make that joke work so well.

Ah yes. The world of jazz. Very elite crowd and all that ;):rolleyes::eek:

Enunciated Piffle 08-30-2014 08:45 AM

Love this song. It's a morning cup of tea song. There's nothing technical or hidden about it. Just good. Also, the stand up bass never hurts.

robotparker 09-10-2014 02:17 PM

I haven't thought about the Be Good Tanyas jam in a while. Thanks for posting it!

Here's a fun music video about the greatest minds in history outsmarting Yahweh:

Enunciated Piffle 09-10-2014 02:25 PM

DUDE! This is my new favorito!

I don't care what anyone says about 80s style music. I fucking love it. Reminds me of watching The Goonies and childhood etc

"Evolution did what Creation only dreamed of..." What a great track w/ a great video. Very Monty Python-ish.

Nice. I'm off to the torrents with this one :)

Enunciated Piffle 09-11-2014 09:13 AM

The Silver Jews are essentially one dude who is a very good writer but not the greatest singer. Even so, the album Lookout Mountain, Lookout Sea has some real gems on it. This one cracks me up...

robotparker 09-12-2014 11:07 AM

Silver Jews are another one of my faves. I live in the same city as Lookout Mountain. I guess those thoughts are connected somehow. Anyways, here's my favorite Silver Jews jam:

"Half-hours on Earth. What are they worth? I don't know."

I pretty much hate all poetry, but he has a poetry book called Actual Air that's actually pretty interesting.

Enunciated Piffle 09-12-2014 12:49 PM

Cool. Yeah, lyrics like "Romance is the douche of the bourgeoisie was the very first thing she imparted to me" are just...just phenomenal writing. I added to Actual Air to the library list. Not a fan of poetry either.

So, even if you have heard of Cloud Nothings, here's an old live acoustic version that is worth a listen. I like his album Turning On.

Enunciated Piffle 09-14-2014 11:50 AM

This hiphop track samples Joanna Newsom and has suicide as it's subject. It's win-win, baby!