Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 04-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Unhappy Future career as videographer

Recently, as I am in grade 11, I have had to think a lot about what I want to do in life, post secondary education as well as my career. I am really passionate about shooting/editing video, and I do so regularly as a hobby. I just have a couple questions for all of you artsy KATG-ers that followed their passions.

1) College or University? University certainly looks better on a resume, but doesn't college offer more hands on work?

2) Salary. Will I even be making enough to pay off my loans/ student debt? How about money to live off of?

3) I know Keith and Chembda do a podcast out of their house, but is this practical for me? What I'm saying is will I be happier/ more profitable working under a company, shooting video? Or as an independent artist making my own videos.

Thank you to anyone who can offer some advice, personal stories etc.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

The college you attend doesn't matter much on the resume, you get hired more off of who you know and how good your work is.

That's not an endorsement for skipping college, though. That means you should attend a college that will help you build a network of people in the business you want to go into.

What university does Hollywood mine for that sort of thing? That's the one I would attend.

As far as money goes, I'm sure Oscar winning cinematographers make millions for a film. But the guy shooting a wedding does not. That depends on you, how good you are, the work you get.
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

I agree with Spooky. I'm currently going to college and studying cinematography and really it's just a way to learn your craft and build connections. Take every chance you get at an internship and you should be fine.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
3) I know Keith and Chembda do a podcast out of their house, but is this practical for me? What I'm saying is will I be happier/ more profitable working under a company, shooting video? Or as an independent artist making my own videos.
Independent artist paying for your videos how?

Unless you've got a trust fund or your parents will eventually be bankrolling you when they pass, you won't be happy if you can't pay your bills.

Have a fall-back career. Minor in or begin working in something you wouldn't mind doing later erstwhile you might wind up in a place that won't make you happy most of your day.

As Spooky wrote, talent and connections will go further than a degree from big-time school.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:08 PM   #5 (permalink)

I went on a tour on humber college today, in Toronto, and they seem to have a shit ton of equipment. Though they are kinda far form downtown. My other choice for after high school would be Ryerson Uni, in downtown Toronto. I'm thinking Ryerson is the better choice, because its right in the middle of everything, i.e. better chance to meet people in the craft. But thats also a lot of money just to make connections.

Humber College
Ryerson University
Old 04-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by william View Post
Independent artist paying for your videos how?

Unless you've got a trust fund or your parents will eventually be bankrolling you when they pass, you won't be happy if you can't pay your bills.

Have a fall-back career. Minor in or begin working in something you wouldn't mind doing later erstwhile you might wind up in a place that won't make you happy most of your day.

As Spooky wrote, talent and connections will go further than a degree from big-time school.

Thats why I'm thinking UNI, so i can minor in say english or something. and I meant independent as in working out of my house, doing peoples videos. sort of a for hire kinda guy, instead of working for one boss
Old 04-21-2010, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by listener View Post
Thats why I'm thinking UNI, so i can minor in say english or something. and I meant independent as in working out of my house, doing peoples videos. sort of a for hire kinda guy, instead of working for one boss
What do you know about running a business? If the cost of school is an issue, how can you afford to bankroll your own business?

If you want to start something out of your home, you should think about a few things.

Would you hire some guy out of his home with no real experience over someone in the phone book to video your next project?

Do you know enough about business and tax law to be able to actually do what you want? Insurance?

Considering that 90%+ of all business fail, most within the first year, you are supposed to be able to float your business for at least a year completely out of pocket. Can you afford to pay yourself a salary, hire an accountant, pay for all your gear, all your advertising, all your expenses, fees, taxes, all that, completely out of pocket, assuming you make zero income, for an entire year? If the answer is no, you aren't ready to start a business.

What do you know about the ins and outs of your business? Having, I assume, never done it, having no contacts and no experience, I have to assume you don't know the first thing about it. Any veteran business owner would tell you, even starting something as simple as a pizza parlor, you should go work in one for six months to a year, just to figure out the basics that you'll have to deal with.

Having your own business out of your house is something very few people who are famous in their field can pull off. You are a nobody at this point, it's awesome to have dreams, but you shouldn't try to skip all the steps in between. If there were shortcuts to success, we'd all be able to do it.

And on your choice of schools, who famous in your field attended there? What studios visit and recruit? What have the professors done, who have they worked with in the past?

I know there's a lot of film production in Canada, I'd worry more about where the school can get you than how convenient it is for you to get to, or how close it is to downtown, or any other geographical reason.

I know that all sounds so negative, but it's just things you should consider before making any decisions about your future...
Old 04-22-2010, 08:50 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm taking film through the Chang school at Ryerson, which is where you would likely end up as the full time program is always full. Like any school it's part bullshit and part good, and a lot expensive. I have certainly met some people that that I have worked with outside of school.

Since you actually want to work with the camera, the only thing you really need to do is shoot, shoot, shoot! Get a shit camera and work with that, move up anytime you can. Visit youtube and learn a bit about lighting and experiment. Ryerson actually teaches you how to work with film which actually is a good thing because it forces you to actually understand what all those settings on video cameras mean.

Volunteer on any shoot you can. There are tons of independent and student productions looking for someone to move shit, get coffee, etc. Most of the time you get to stand around and watch and learn.

Ultimately (as per spooky) you will picked based on your reel and your ability to work with people, not your education. You are young so you have time to work on this. Be happy you aren't starting at my age!

There are plenty of good books out there as well.

If you are interested, I will be shooting a short film in about 6 weeks. Mcnally might help out. You can come out and watch how it's NOT supposed to be done.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

I've been doing video as a side business for 3 years. I'm too pussy to quit my actual job and try surviving on it full time.

However, you want to work with a company doing big shows? Getting experience?

This: Full Sail University: Campus and Online Degrees Is where people go who really want that.

College film degrees teach you how to shoot video, edit, write scripts, storyboard, etc. The problem is, no job you get will ask you do fill the role of writer, director, videographer, and editor. You're best off finding which one you like, and focus on that.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #10 (permalink)

I second Preston's advice. The actual tech skills are picked up the same way a plumber learns the basics. On the job - apprentice-style. First ten years you WILL be eating Kraft Dinner. Get to like it.

ANY form of advanced schooling will help. Finance will help too.

Keep your day job while learning. Diversification, flexibility and attitude are key to success in this business. Be creative. Know your strengths/weaknesses.

You are picking a VERY hot field - video is the future. It's now simple to grab web stills from HD video.

Learn audio <see todays show> practice, practice, practice.