Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 08-04-2006, 07:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

GM Ford embrace the ipod

Last edited by spaceboy; 02-06-2008 at 09:11 AM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 07:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboy
Remember a couple days back when MYN went on a rant as to why PodShow was better. He said it was because they were on Sirius radio and KATG weren't etc etc.

Well GM and Ford are looking to the ipod now instead of satellite radio. Oh the irony. The beginning of the article:

SAN JOSE, Calif. In what could send some ominous signals for satellite radio providers, Apple Computer Inc. Thursday (August 3) teamed up with Ford Motor, General Motors and Mazda to deliver "seamless iPod integration" across the majority of their respective car brands and models.

The three auto makers claimed that they will make it easier for users to integrate their iPods into a car stereo system. Seamless iPod integration allows drivers to use their car's multifunction controls to select their music, according to Apple (Cupertino, Calif.).

Ford, GM and Mazda insist that they are not backing away from a somewhat rival technology: satellite radio. But major providers of satellite radio Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. and XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc. are expected to greet Apple's news coolly, especially as the two radio startups continue to struggle and lose money.

But by 2007, in fact, more than 70 percent of all U.S.-based car makers will offer iPod integration. Ford and General Motors will feature iPod integration in the majority of their 2007 models in the U.S. beginning later this year, while Mazda's entire global 2007 lineup of cars and SUVs will offer iPod connectivity

The link to the article:

http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/sho...leID=191800212
That's pretty cool. Too bad you have to buy a piece of shit Ford or GM product to get connected.
Old 08-04-2006, 02:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Location: London, Ontario, Canada. Formerly Paisley, Scotland
In Europe many cars now come as standard with line in on your car stereo. Line in for those of you who don't know what I'm talking about is the generic socket that you can stick a male to male mini jack lead into from any audio device.. consider it a ghetto ipod/mp3 player connection in your car...
Old 08-04-2006, 02:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

The tape adaptor in my '89 Isuzu pickup works damn well for listening to KATG. And the best part is: who's gonna jack a $27 (literally) tape deck from a POS truck? No one! I can use my iPod all I want and don't have to buy a new car. But I feel sorry for all of you who gave up your tape deck to play CDs in the car. Any car I buy from now on will have to have a tape deck in it if not an iPod hookup.