Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree24Likes

Old 02-22-2017, 05:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Grown Up Safety

this conversation is starting without any specific incidence to respond to. it is for both men and women about the bad things we face out in the world: assault, sexual or otherwise, getting robbed, mugged, scammed, ripped off, catching disease, being eaten by a bear or mountain lion, etc.

how do you go about life with respect to keeping yourself as safe as reasonably possible? what's common sense here? how do we handle the risks involved of just being a person in a world with other people?

Last edited by Sparrow; 02-22-2017 at 05:44 PM.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
PARTY! SUPER PARTY!

Did Piffle type something and then realize it's a trap?
memecherry likes this.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

i don't know. maybe. probably a good idea. past experience has proven talking to me can produce unpredictable and often aggressive results. he'd really be asking for it and i can't help myself b/c of my girl brains. it's just science.
Keith, The Girl and memecherry like this.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

true words, Apia. out hiking, my Biscuit has prevented me from stepping on snakes many a time; if she's calm, i'm calm. i like to carry a little bear mace, too, just in case. and a hefty sharp knife.
Keith, memecherry, Apia and 1 others like this.
Old 02-25-2017, 07:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

what do you do if you think you're being followed? either in a car or on foot?
Old 02-26-2017, 12:01 AM   #6 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
true words, Apia. out hiking, my Biscuit has prevented me from stepping on snakes many a time; if she's calm, i'm calm. i like to carry a little bear mace, too, just in case. and a hefty sharp knife.
Bear mace is always a good idea. You never know when you might run into Keith McNally.
Apia likes this.
Old 02-26-2017, 05:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

People really follow you in a car outside of movie car chases?

On foot depends, if there are people around at daytime I would do what Apia said and stop at a corner/shop window to see if they pass me.
At night or with few people around, I'd try cross to the other side of the street, go to a well lit area, see if there is a hotel/bar around I could go to. Otherwise semi aggressive 'I see you!!!' pointed staring and maybe taking out my phone is a good start.
Old 02-26-2017, 02:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
what do you do if you think you're being followed? either in a car or on foot?
If I'm on foot then I cross the street.

If I'm in a car, then I realize I'm high, and need to quit being paranoid
Old 02-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
i don't know. maybe. probably a good idea. past experience has proven talking to me can produce unpredictable and often aggressive results. he'd really be asking for it and i can't help myself b/c of my girl brains. it's just science.
Definitely. Agreed.

Some good safety advice, (in my personal experience) is realizing when to keep your mouth shut. I have a big obnoxious mouth. It's gotten me into a lot of trouble. Real life and online.
memecherry likes this.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you are being followed while driving, drive to the nearest police station. Call while on the way so they can send a patrol car.

If you are being following by a car while walking, turn 180° and run to safety in the opposite direction of the car. It takes cars much longer to turn around than you on foot.

If you are being followed on foot, prepare your mace/brass knuckles/elbows and knees for the unexpected. Call the police from your cellphone. Or text if you think a call will set the follower off. Do not lead them to your home. Go somewhere with people.

I think everyone should take a basic self-defense class. Just to know "if he grabs you this way, do this" kinda stuff.
memecherry likes this.