Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 11-18-2008, 01:57 AM   #111 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheno View Post
Your best bet is to look into a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture). There you'll get access to quality fruits and vegetables, which aren't organic (although they can be) but instead are just of high quality. Most CSA's have meat as part of the deal, or can introduce you to the local farmers to get your meat from.

if you want humane, pasture raised, and much higher quality meat then you need to go to local farms. The lie of the current industrial food machine is that you can only access chicken through Tyson or Perdue.
Thanks. All the different organizations are really overwhelming. I'm going to keep looking for a less cruel, more healthy alternative. I have a feeling I have to go back to Henry's and talk to the butchers. A lot of these websites have them listed as a store that they deliver to.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:30 AM   #112 (permalink)

Yeah. I have my own thoughts on animal cruelty - it mainly revolves around I like to eat dead animals. It's not the cruelty that bothers me more than the fact that animals raised on factory farms are vastly inferior in flavor and nutritional value than what you can buy from a farm providing pasture raised meat.

CSA's are a good way for people to circumvent the government's penchant for subsidizing corn and soy crops. After the Nixon administration I just don't see any feasible way for the country as a whole to move away from this system. But the choice still exists to get great food that isn't shot up with hormones or doused with pesticides. Plus a CSA helps the small farms that don't see any money from the government.

It's worth it just for the fucking eggs. I don't know if there's an official rating for "Super Duper" eggs, but there should be.
Old 11-18-2008, 05:47 AM   #113 (permalink)
Zim

The most humane meat is meat you've hunted and killed yourself. Meat that has roamed free and wild until it was dispatched with a single, well placed shot is happy meat. Laugh now, but try it and see.
Old 11-18-2008, 01:52 PM   #114 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheno View Post
Yeah. I have my own thoughts on animal cruelty - it mainly revolves around I like to eat dead animals. It's not the cruelty that bothers me more than the fact that animals raised on factory farms are vastly inferior in flavor and nutritional value than what you can buy from a farm providing pasture raised meat.

CSA's are a good way for people to circumvent the government's penchant for subsidizing corn and soy crops. After the Nixon administration I just don't see any feasible way for the country as a whole to move away from this system. But the choice still exists to get great food that isn't shot up with hormones or doused with pesticides. Plus a CSA helps the small farms that don't see any money from the government.

It's worth it just for the fucking eggs. I don't know if there's an official rating for "Super Duper" eggs, but there should be.
I totally agree with you on this. I don't know where you live, but I think it might be more complicated in the LA/OC metro area just because there is not a lot of farm land around. I need to go to more farmers markets. I don't think that they sell meat there, but I think it'll be a good place to start.