Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 10-14-2008, 09:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cart Horse View Post
I

I also encountered in particular in Vietnam a pig butchery which was ghastly. There's a lot of screaming and fear from the pigs. Not nice. I came home a vegetarian
Fear makes the meat taste better...
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:09 AM   #12 (permalink)

I did 10 years of vegetarianism and went back pretty hard core. Start with fish and bacon. It didn't take much time at all to get used to eating meat. Just eat a lot of extra fiber at first so you don't get constipated. Trust me on that one.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

animal-rights-grill-demotivational-poster.jpg
Old 10-15-2008, 05:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

I heard somewhere that if you eat something 9 times then the 10th time you'll like it.

So just force down some nice juicy steak for a week and a half and problem over.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

Snack time!

Chicken-truck crash cleared from Highway 101 in Burlingame
Old 10-15-2008, 01:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

I dropped red meat seven years ago when I moved out West and drove past the factory cattle farms. Being in Hippieville, OR further moved me along into vegetarianism over several years, until I went vegan for about a year and a half. I ate multivitamins and a metric shit-ton of protein. I learned to cook a lot more complex and interesting meals, and I branched out into cuisine I'd never tried. I got very good at making vegan subsitutions taste like their non-vegan counterparts. On top of that, I slimmed down and felt full of energy.

I had eating issues as a teenager and due to self-inflicted damage to my digestive system, I'd always felt very sick after eating anything close to a full meal. I thought this was how I'd always be, but the year I went vegan somehow restored the proper balance in my body and for the first time I could go to a restaurant and eat a full plate without nausea or vomiting. Removing dairy from my diet also cleared my skin up for the first time too.

Then I started introducing meat and dairy back into my diet, little by little. I think I started with bacon, then half and half in my coffee. I had no trouble reintroducing these things, though it was several more years before I started eating beef. I did not initially feel sick when I returned to these foods, but I do admit now that my skin is poor again, and I often if not usually feel sick after eating. I attribute it more to the dairy than the meat however.

Marina, I am certain you will be able to acclimate over time to anything you choose to eat, and I hope none of these people responding to you question your choices as a vegetarian OR an omnivore. You also could develop allergies to certain things over time, regardless of your exposure to them - gluten allergies and dairy intolerance run in my family, and I'm almost 100% positive that by the time I'm 50 I will not be able to handle either in my diet. If you pay attention to the balance of what you eat, and what makes you feel good vs. sick, you will be able to adjust your diet to any combination of ingredients. I hope you don't have too much negative trial-and-error. I also hope you don't feel you have to defend your choice of diet to anyone.

ps. My backyard chickens have started laying, so I have no moral or dietary issues as to where my eggs come from.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #17 (permalink)

Eh, all the animals are tasty jokes only bother me if people assume I'm the kind of petty, pushy evangelical veg. that would get offended by them, and then I'm only sad because I'd like to think I come off better than that.

I already eat fish on occasion, I guess it would probably be good to up my intake if I can. Good looking out on the fiber thing I didn't even think about that.

This thread has been very helpful so far, not just for the informative aspect, but for my conscience. Not to be lame, but you guys are right, as I change and my beliefs change I think the most important thing is that I'm making decisions that are right for me.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:32 PM   #18 (permalink)

Wuss.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:46 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-Diesel View Post
Your body is designed to synthesize animal protein in order to repair various tissues and function properly.
First of all, you are over-stating the importance of protein in general (you need .57g per day of protein for every 2.2 lbs you weigh which even vegans can easily do).

Second, the entire statement is not only unprovable, but also unsupported. The American Institute for Cancer Research as well as many others support an opposing consensus.

Third, animal protein levels correlate with higher levels of saturated fat, whereas plant proteins do not. So the more you rely on animals as a protein source, the more you are eating saturated fat.

And finally, vegetarians have a much lower risk of cancer and heart disease, which are the two biggest causes of death.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

i have incisors, therefore i am.