Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 12-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

The Hobbit

I will not include spoilers, other than noting the fact that the movie is not over at the end, and the posters do not mention this is just Part 1 of a three part series.

What a mountainous pile of shit this movie is. If you read the book, you'll spend half the movie going, "where the fuck did that come from? That was never in the book." Apparently they added a WHOLE bunch of stupid shit to stretch it out into 3 movies. There are whole story lines added just so they could add more special effects. There are more subplots added just to bring in characters from LotR who were never in The Hobbit.

Some people got headaches from the high-speed version. I saw the regular version, so my headache is from all the eye-rolling at the ridiculously stupid shit going on on the screen.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

The HFR looked sped up at times to me, usually during close-ups without speaking (I guess talking synced it for my brain).

I read the book last week for the movie, and the story was childish and pretty lame, did not hold up to adulthood. So I didn't mind they changed the story.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

i also re-read the book in anticipation of the movie and while it DID hold up in my opinion, it definitely contributed to how much i hated the movie. not only did they COMPLETELY change the story, it was mostly in REALLY stupid ways.
i understand that they added some stuff to make the movie longer so they could split it into 3 movies. side stories like Radagast the Brown, Gandalfs conversations with Saruman and the elves, other things that didnt appear in the actual book but DID happen in the history of Middle Earth are ok scenes to add to the movie. but other things, like the incorporation of Azog the orc are ridiculous and totally made up.
small things really bothered me though, like the scene with the trolls. why did the ponies get captured by the trolls? in the book, they spotted the trolls because of their fire in the woods, but in the movie the trolls captured two ponies...i just dont get why they would change something so simple. the description of the inside of the mountain where the goblins are was TOTALLY changed. its supposed to be dark tunnels, not huge networks of wooden bridges and pulley systems.
but even with all the bullshit they added, theres NO excuse for this movie to be almost 3 hours long. i was rolling my eyes in boredom almost the entire time. the only part i actually really enjoyed was the beginning. the short scene with Frodo (which takes place immediately before the opening of Fellowship of the Ring) was really cool, and the first conversation between Bilbo and Gandalf was pretty awesome. other than that, everything else just made me hate Peter Jackson and Fran Walsh just a little bit more, unfortunately.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:24 PM   #4 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Thanks for the heads up...we'll be giving this a miss.

3 movies? how ridiculous.I wondered how the would get one movie out of it.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

Part 1 is [three] hours? Can we stop. Really. As a nation can we please insist on our stories being told in a timely manner?
Old 12-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)
57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
small things really bothered me though, like the scene with the trolls. why did the ponies get captured by the trolls? in the book, they spotted the trolls because of their fire in the woods, but in the movie the trolls captured two ponies...i just dont get why they would change something so simple.
Because in the book Bilbo goes alone, gets caught, then the trolls ambush the dwarves one by one. But the movie needs to have a cinematic fight scene, so they needed to bring in everybody at once.

Quote:
the description of the inside of the mountain where the goblins are was TOTALLY changed. its supposed to be dark tunnels, not huge networks of wooden bridges and pulley systems.
fwiw, the book's caves are dark as shit, and neither Bilbo nor the dwarves can see dick in there. Bilbo stumbles around using the glow of the sword. But it wouldn't translate well on screen if for 20 minutes they'd just be lost in darkness. Also, apparently a thing with HFR is you need increased lighting, which is why everything in the movie looks so light (and Gandalf's hat is practically shining). So they had to make the caves light to film. Bridges and pulley systems are so they can do fight scenes in 3D.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #7 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

i liked the movie, and i think the book is a big pile of shit. so there you go. debate over.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWarrior View Post
Bilbo stumbles around using the glow of the sword. But it wouldn't translate well on screen if for 20 minutes they'd just be lost in darkness.
Yeah, extra rough for them since Sting was the only sword that glowed blue around goblins, and that was only some of the time. At other times, Bilbo could be fighting a goblin and it doesn't glow at all. I'm guessing they knew that Glamdring was supposed to glow since it was also made by elves and the goblin king yelled something about it shining like the sun, but it didn't even get a blue tint in the regular version I saw.
Old 12-20-2012, 09:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkenstein View Post
i liked the movie, and i think the book is a big pile of shit. so there you go. debate over.
thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ansur View Post
Yeah, extra rough for them since Sting was the only sword that glowed blue around goblins, and that was only some of the time. At other times, Bilbo could be fighting a goblin and it doesn't glow at all. I'm guessing they knew that Glamdring was supposed to glow since it was also made by elves and the goblin king yelled something about it shining like the sun, but it didn't even get a blue tint in the regular version I saw.
True