Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 05-11-2009, 11:19 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' Rye View Post
So you don't want donations, and you don't want sympathy. what's the point of this thread? If you want advice. Join the Army, That way you can get real benifits when they kick you out.
I wanted suggestions for how to go about getting from the middle of nowhere to Boston for when my school starts, and I've got a few to think about.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 11:26 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky View Post
words
Good stuff, one of the big things was that the Uhaul to get me down here cost (my parents, whom I'm paying back) sometihng like $2000 and almost $900 in gas. Thankfully someone PMed me a link to uship.com which seems to offer moving services for a LOT less, looking to check that out too.

In the city when I get there I won't need a car too, thank God. I hope I can get at least a bartending gig for a bit up in the city, or a security position like JG pmed to me. One of the biggest things about being in Arkansas is there's shit for decent work unless it's retail sales, which I wouldn't mind doing if I could get it. :/

Last edited by TimFromBoston; 05-11-2009 at 11:31 PM.
Old 05-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimFromBoston View Post
Good stuff, one of the big things was that the Uhaul to get me down here cost (my parents, whom I'm paying back) sometihng like $2000 and almost $900 in gas. Thankfully someone PMed me a link to uship.com which seems to offer moving services for a LOT less, looking to check that out too.

In the city when I get there I won't need a car too, thank God.
a car equals a job. public transportation is nice, but limits your options in some areas. Just consider your options, make what you believe to be the best choice.

And jesus, how much crap do you have? I moved a friend of mine from Pensacola FL to NYC, and he got an apartment and everything for under $1500.

Where do your parents live? If you are closer to them, drive that shit back to their house and bus to your new start.

And don't be depressed about it. It's a fresh start, a chance to completely recreate yourself from scratch. It's exciting. Debt collectors are just phone calls, just some guy somewhere doing his job to harass you into bleeding every nickel they can from you, but all they really have to do it with are words. If you are broke, you are what we call "judgement proof". Use it to your advantage while you can.
To be fair, to really follow Spooky's diet, you can't just eat chicken. You have to spend your days cleaning up after a slob roommate and night shivering like a rain soaked rage filled chihuahua about having to clean up after said roommate until you finally snap and yell at him. It should be called the Mexican maid diet.
Old 05-12-2009, 06:59 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
a car equals a job. public transportation is nice, but limits your options in some areas. Just consider your options, make what you believe to be the best choice.

And jesus, how much crap do you have? I moved a friend of mine from Pensacola FL to NYC, and he got an apartment and everything for under $1500.

Where do your parents live? If you are closer to them, drive that shit back to their house and bus to your new start.

And don't be depressed about it. It's a fresh start, a chance to completely recreate yourself from scratch. It's exciting. Debt collectors are just phone calls, just some guy somewhere doing his job to harass you into bleeding every nickel they can from you, but all they really have to do it with are words. If you are broke, you are what we call "judgement proof". Use it to your advantage while you can.
from spooky's last two posts, he has definately given some great advice.

in dot points (just in case, my hookah smoking friend):
1. sell your shit
2. move the rest of your shit
3. dont file bankruptcy
4. earn some money doing whatever
Old 05-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlNextDoor View Post
Do you know that for $430 a week I have lived in NY (one of the most expensive places to live) I paid for my own apartment and everything else to go with it. You sir should be fine and if your not you suck at money management. Ask for an extension on your unemployment. I hear they are giving those out like candy do to the high unemployment rate in most places.

I know how it works when you get out of the service there is no reason you should be in this situation. You didn't prepare and thats your own damn fault. So suck it up be responsible only spend on what you need and you should be fine
GND, I love you. Super fucking love you. Best post ever.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #46 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by memecherry View Post
As for your debt, I remember you saying something about you having a girlfriend that made you buy her shit and that's why you are so in debt... You have money for hookas and furry costumes, but you don't have money for a place to live, food or to get your car back...? It sounds like you need to learn some lessons about what is important in life, and how to truly take care of yourself... All your stories have too much of an oh woe is me quality to them, so buck up, grow the fuck up, and learn how to be a man... Not a man-child, but a Man... Life sucks, surviving on your own takes hard work, and you just need to grow up...
Nick Starr comes to mind...
Old 05-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #47 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

There are three main ways to learn life's lessons:

1) Listen and learn
2) Watch others fuck it up and learn
3) Fuck it up for yourself and learn

The real shame is getting a second chance at putting your life together and fucking that chance up.

A relevant quote from Gen Patton, "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom."

And then something on the topic from our friends at www.despair.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mistakes.jpg (54.2 KB, 141 views)
Old 05-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
1. Tell your parents you fucked up. Tell them you could use some advice, ask them for guidance, don't ask for a handout. The more aware of your situation they are, the more involved you make them, the more likely it is they will bail you out if you wind up totally sunk, but let them offer, do not ask.

2. Stop paying even the minimums on your debts. Send something every month to keep it active, $20 maybe. It won't stop them from harassing you, it won't stop them from selling it off as bad debt, but given the financial crisis, it may delay them, if only briefly. And that gives you a chance to save up a couple grand ASAP, which is what you need to do for a new start.

4. Get used to reading second hand books from the used book store, because you don't need internet until you are back on your feet. Or cable. Or ipods. Or laptops.

5. Sell everything you own. Everything except a small amount of clothes. Fire sale, everything must go. Big yard sale. Or a booth at the flea market. All that shit you own is a weight that does nothing but cost you money and prevent you from moving on to a better situation.

As far as work goes, you are pretty well fucked. You can't get a job working at McDonalds and make anything close to you unemployment benefits. I'd say get a job delivering pizza. That'll get you close, but it might be tough getting your foot in the door. If you work for a food place, you won't ever go hungry. I've never done the Home Depot circuit, so I have no idea about the money potential there.

Work your ass off, it is better than being bored reading second hand books. Walk on to construction sites and ask if you can help out, tell em you'll work for cash, and take any amount they offer, even less than minimum wage. The painting and lawn work suggestion is fine, but requires equipment. Being a construction site bitch usually does not.
Spooky's right. Your stuff is just STUFF. It's all luxury, and you don't need it to live. You can sit on the floor and sleep in a sleeping bag. Get rid of it. You will likely feel much better when you finally do. I know I did. When I opened my storage unit in CA after moving to Hawaii, I didn't recognize so much of that stuff anymore. I didn't care - it was just STUFF. And I took all of it (save pictures and things that were irreplacable) to Goodwill, and I don't miss any of it.

As far as your minimum payments, if you really want to put your life today ahead of repairing your debt, then stop paying them altogether. Debts fall off of your credit record after 7 years. However, the statute of limitations on your debts restarts with every payment you make. Learn to live on cash and the next seven years will fly by.

Don't spend any money on books, DVDs, internet, etc. The library offers all of that for free, and can be your escape for the afternoon to yourself. You really don't even need a car. I don't have one, and I get around on bus, bicycle, and my own two feet. I live near a grocery store and carry my bags, or tow them on my little hand truck. If I need anything further, I try to meet up with friends to go when they go. You'll be surprised to know that you truly don't need most things in life.

What are your skills? If you have any particular skill, list it on craigslist and even barter your skills for something in return, like home repair in exchange for a place to stay for a month. I see ads like that on craigslist all the time.

As far as your family, if they are not willing to help you, then fuck them. You don't need them. Yes it stings, but what goes around comes around, and if they don't help you now, you don't help them later. It sucks, but Meme's right - you got yourself into this mess, get your own ass out.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:38 PM   #49 (permalink)

Don't know if this appeals to you at all, but there was an article on a travel site that I read last week. Many people these days are considering being nomadic full time:

tripso.com | Endless vacation: 9 tips for becoming a ‘new’ nomad in 2009
Old 05-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #50 (permalink)

I completely agree with Spooky!!! Take his advise and run before he tries to charge you.

Punk'n, I was trying to remember his name last night when I first posted, yes agreed, NICK STARR!