Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-24-2013, 06:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

How to avoid being ripped off when submitting pitches, etc

Hey

I've been checking out a bunch of "submission release" forms for various TV channels and all of them have a rule in the form basically stating that when you submit your pitch you agree that the channel may come out with something (or already have a show in their past/current schedule) that is similar or identical to your idea.

While I understand that they have to say this to avoid people unfairly suing them, it also scares me because it pretty much gives them the right to accept a pitch, reject it, and then rip it off.

Not that my ideas are "sooo great," but I'd rather not be ripped off. I was wondering, as the "artist," is there a way to cover yourself when pitching the idea? I was thinking I'd draw a comic/storyboard of a "first episode" type thing and put it on my website (could also be used in the pitch), so that way if they do rip me off, I can, at least morally, prove I had the idea first. Maybe someone "in the know" could give me some advice. For example, maybe most people get an agent and then the agent gets in contact with the channels, producers, whoever?

I'm halfway through art school, anyway, so I'm a year or two away from being out in the working world, but I thought it couldn't hurt to get a head start.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappbrannigan View Post
I'm halfway through art school,
the working world
lol

art

working world

you precious little thing.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Make no mistake, I don't think "as soon as I graduate I'm going to be doing my dream projects! Everyone is going to be interested in what I do!!" I understand I'll have to get a temp job (whether in the arts or not) and work on my stuff on the side (like KATG with the clowning, waiting tables, etc).

While there's obviously no guarantees, my school has a great industry night at graduation that has a pretty good record for graduates being offered jobs. Also, I've been google searching animation studios and publishers, and my dad is an artist so I know of all the places he's worked at (When his boss heard I was going to art school I got an interview with them for a summer job that went well, but they were looking for someone with experience for a high-pressure position and weren't willing to take a gamble on me. Fair enough).

Anyway, this is besides the point! I know I have lofty expectations, but you gotta hustle. This dude ( Tom Sito - IMDb ) is my idol. He's a friend of my parents. I've swam in his pool in LA. He's worked on the 80's He-Man and Ghostbusters cartoons, Chemda's fav Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, and quite a few of the Disney Renaissance movies. Did he sit around and wait for shit to float his way? Nah, bro. Homeboy went out and got his.