Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #1 (permalink)

How do I paint walls properly?

I'm painting a wall and having some trouble. I primed it and painted, but there's obvious roller marks between sections and the edges where I used a brush has lots of brush marks. What am I doing wrong?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 10:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaylor
I'm painting a wall and having some trouble. I primed it and painted, but there's obvious roller marks between sections and the edges where I used a brush has lots of brush marks. What am I doing wrong?
Why would anyone want to paint their Balls?
Old 07-10-2006, 10:51 AM   #3 (permalink)

Deuce: You get that one out of your Milton Berle book? I see why you were replaced with Spooky.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

http://homerepair.about.com/od/inter...tbrush_use.htm

and

You need to, first of all, use a good roller for a semi-smooth surface. Make sure you're not rolling too large of an area and always keep a wet edge. Spread the paint in a zig-zag "M" or "W" pattern beginning in an upward stroke to minimize spatter. Without lifting the roller from the surface, fill in the zig-zag pattern with even, parallel strokes. You can also add 4 tablespoons of water to each gallon to extend your open time.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsaylor
Deuce: You get that one out of your Milton Berle book? I see why you were replaced with Spooky.
That was good. I'm not sure if you were properly welcomed, so Fuuuuuuuuck Yoooooooou!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

Also,
Make sure you're using the right roller... The "fabric" part of the roller should not be too fluffy if it's indoors. otherwise you see those rollermarks. Make sure you're not using a cheap brush and feather out the brush strokes so it mixes in w/ the roller marks....

Paint always looks fucked up wet though... so let it dry as well... also your prime job mighta been crap!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hrm, the roller might be a problem. It's got about 1/3" of fluff on it. The biggest problem is that in places it seems that the coverage is uniformly worse than others. I can see more of the primer layer through some sections than other sections. Now, I didn't paint in the w pattern so maybe that's part of it. Could it also be not reloading the roller soon enough? It seems like the roller could be pulling paint off the wall instead of putting it on sometimes.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

I'm actually just done with doing a whole lot of painting in the last week, so this is fresh in my head.

Pretty much do what Patrice is saying. The important thing is to make sure to not have too much paint on the roller, or that will make the lines more apparent. Like Patrice said, it's really important to do the M pattern to help spread the paint.

A small thing that I found helps to stop lines is when you put the paint on the roller, hold the roller at an angle and roll just the edge of the roller against the pan, as if you are beveling it. This prevents the paint from bunching up at the end and causing lines. Also, keep a rag handy and wipe the plastic circle at the end of the roller so paint doesn't collect there.

After you do the big M strokes with the roller, then I go from the very top and quickly do a straight line to the bottom with the roller, quickly, and in a way so finishes in the air, and not on the wall. This prevents that line from where the roller rested. However, the roller will probably be spinning a bit, but there shouldn't be much paint on your roller, and it's more important to go a good job than to be completely clean.

Paint brushes I don't know all that much about, but for me it works just to do small sections in criss-cross patterns, and avoid doing any straight lines which leave marks in the walls.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deznice
Also,
Make sure you're using the right roller... The "fabric" part of the roller should not be too fluffy if it's indoors. otherwise you see those rollermarks. Make sure you're not using a cheap brush and feather out the brush strokes so it mixes in w/ the roller marks....

Paint always looks fucked up wet though... so let it dry as well... also your prime job mighta been crap!
In addition, after you wash a brush, tightly wrap a rag around the bristle part to keep them all bunched up so as to prevent in from being too fluffy next time. Personally I use one of those brushes with the plasticy-type bristles so to avoid any of them getting dislodged.

But yeah, like deznice said, the important thing is feathering in so the transition is relatively seamless.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Also,
They have square things w/ little wheels on the side and the roller fabric on top... I can't find a pic unfortunately. It'll help keep the uniformity of the look and you'll rarely need a brush