Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 09-06-2009, 02:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

How to Turn Mono into Stereo in Garage Band

Anybody know?

It seems like it should be easy, but the internet only has information about how to turn stereo into mono and orange fields into blue ones.

I accidentally recorded a whole show on mono. Usually I don't give a fuck, but I've got a wild hair up my ass about it today.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

You can't turn mono into stereo. Either re-record it or live with it.

By the way, I love your show.
Old 09-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Really? Thanks. Sorry that the show's going to be in mono. I thought I fixed it, but I hit the wrong button again. You'd think after so many years I'd know which settings were right. Ohs wells.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Drag the mono track sound file onto iTunes - AFTER setting the Import Settings in iTunes to MP3 AND making sure you use the "Custom" setting and set Channels to Stereo not Auto. Suggest using Stereo Bitrate of 128kps.

Hope that works for you!
Old 09-06-2009, 04:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech007 View Post
Drag the mono track sound file onto iTunes - AFTER setting the Import Settings in iTunes to MP3 AND making sure you use the "Custom" setting and set Channels to Stereo not Auto. Suggest using Stereo Bitrate of 128kps.

Hope that works for you!
I think this might not work because I'm using an old version of garage band. But when I get my usual podcast computer set up again, I can try it with that. I'm not seeing a 'custom' setting in itunes, although I did figure out that the import is already set to MP3, which is funny because I always have to convert my imported garage band files from aif.

I've come to terms with the fact that I may be too computer illiterate to deal with this problem correctly.
Old 09-06-2009, 04:42 PM   #6 (permalink)

Why would you do that?

Mono comes through both speakers.

Is your file size too small?

Do you want to isolate a mic to one channel so people listening with one bud will miss half the conversation?

The best-sounding podcasts out there are the NPR ones and they're mono (and half the size of independents). Stereo does not equal quality. Stereo only equals twice the file size.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech View Post
Why would you do that?

Mono comes through both speakers.

Is your file size too small?

Do you want to isolate a mic to one channel so people listening with one bud will miss half the conversation?

The best-sounding podcasts out there are the NPR ones and they're mono (and half the size of independents). Stereo does not equal quality. Stereo only equals twice the file size.
Yeah, mono 1 channel comes through both speakers, but I hit 2 channel on accident. Not it's on 2 tracks, but comes through 1 speaker. fail. Also I'm sure it's twice as big.

I just changed the settings for the next podcast and posted the fucked up one fucked up. It's free, that's my excuse.
Old 09-06-2009, 07:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina View Post
Yeah, mono 1 channel comes through both speakers, but I hit 2 channel on accident. Not it's on 2 tracks, but comes through 1 speaker. fail. Also I'm sure it's twice as big.
What? If it's coming through only one side, that means it already is stereo, and converting it to mono would solve the problem. I know at least in audacity you can take a 2 channel file, split the tracks and make one of them mono. So if you have 2 channels and one is silent (the right side), you could do something like that.

Last edited by Coconut; 09-06-2009 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-07-2009, 03:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina View Post

I just changed the settings for the next podcast and posted the fucked up one fucked up. It's free, that's my excuse.
This sounds like you recorded onto a track panned left. You should be able to pan it back to center and export in mono or stereo and have it come out both speakers (mono makes more sense)
Old 09-07-2009, 04:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

I duplicated the tracks and panned one right, but all I got was crackling and silence. The computer thinks that "right" track was recorded, but of course there's nothing there. I don't think it's fixable, and even if it was- I already posted the track on my site (Aptly named 'half hog').

Anyone who's subscribed got the shitty version-if it downloaded at all-there's a chance that the show I posted about 30 mins after half hog will replace it in the itunes line-up, causing people to have to click to download it if they want it.