Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree260Likes

Old 03-16-2020, 02:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

How are you all doing in Corona times?

How are you? Are you afraid?
Do you feel safe?

I have lots of mixed feelings.
I’m not in any risk group and I feel good physically. But I also feel a lot of tension and I’m confused.
Every day there are worse news, and I wonder when we will be able to have a normal life again.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer

I'm loving it. We just went out to dinner, party of 7 with no line or wait.

My morning commute is a breeze. People are hysterical and I am reveling in it.

I have zero concerns.

I spent the morning licking door knobs at work just to prove a point. By night I'm sharing videos of old protest riots in China and getting on local groups with a generic "swat team" google search image and telling people it's the Corona quarantine unit.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 03-16-2020, 03:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Well enjoy while it lasts.

We are close to a total shutdown.
NotARegularMom likes this.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Thanks for asking, Apia. I’m mostly worried about the unknown. My college age niece was doing a semester in Spain. They cancelled the program and she’s currently in London waiting to fly home. When she lands in the US I’ll feel a lot better. They are actually starting to take action here in our state and that makes me feel a little better.
Apia resurrected likes this.
Old 03-16-2020, 05:18 PM   #5 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I pray to Big Pharma nightly that we will all get through this time of trouble.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:20 PM   #6 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

I am currently not afraid, but am worried as I keep hearing more bad news as well as deaths occurring closer to where I live. My work is sending anyone home who feels sick even if they don't have any of the symptoms. What sucks is they are sending people home without any pay unless they have sick or vacation time. If they can prove they have the virus then they will pay them to stay home, but that doesn't really apply to anyone that I know who was sent home. Plus there aren't many testing sites available.

Work is considering having us do work from home since there are 4000 people in the building everyday and there's no real reason 99% of us can't do our work from home. My supervisor is thinking they will have us bring in our personal computers to download work software by the end of the week so we can work from home. I do feel bad for those who don't have access to a computer that has windows. They will be forced to stay home and use their vacation/sick or not be paid while the office is closed. Some people think it could be a month, others think maybe longer.
Keith and NotARegularMom like this.
Old 03-18-2020, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

I was fine, in fact I rarely ever get nervous but today I was nervous. Like there’s a virus that could possibly kill a lot of people, the economy is collapsing because of the virus and lockdowns and right now I feel lucky because I am still working and have income but that could disappear at a moments notice. I think of the people at risk and those who have no income due to the lockdowns and worry about them and everything that’s going to change. Everything escalated so quickly and if this does go on for months I do have a hard time imagining the world after this. Just my current thoughts.
NotARegularMom likes this.
Old 03-18-2020, 02:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Hello from Seattle. Most of you don't seem to be taking this seriously enough. The experts who have studied the spread from the early infections in China are saying a majority of people in the US will get the infection. Most will have mild symptoms. Some will have no symptoms at all, but will be carriers.

The fucked up thing is people are contagious but not showing any symptoms for somewhere between 2 and 14 days (5 days average). Everybody looks and feels fine but that doesn't matter. It spreading around regardless.

Testing has been a big topic of discussion, but IMHO testing is only good for helping the experts track the spread. If you show symptoms (fever and dry cough) you should assume you (any anyone else you interact closely with) are infected. Maybe a test could show you aren't, but you really can't risk it. Sit it out at home, rest up and drink lots of fluids and wait for everyone you share space with to get better. Chances are you won't need medical intervention and will get better on your own.

The real problem is the ones that do end up needing medical intervention. Those are more likely to be the elderly, the chronicly ill, immuno-compromised and people with heart disease, diabetes and the like. A percentage of those get severe pneumonia and require a ventilator. Without a vent they almost certainly die. This is the important part.

There are only so many hospital beds with ventilator equipment. Estimates show if we do nothing to slow the spread, the number of people who need a vent immediately grows to around 30x capacity. Shit.

So, by closing gatherings and stores and implementing lock downs, they hope to slow the rate of infection with the hope that people on a vent get better (14 days?) before the next patient comes along that needs it. That's what flattening the curve is all about.

So, chance are you won't feel symptoms at all or just have a mild case that you get over at home like it was the flu, but if you don't do your part to slow down the spread then you put other people (those more likely to get bad symptoms like grandma, gramps and Chemda) at risk of death because a ventilator isn't available. Fuck!

Another bummer is is everyone is doing the right things, you won't really know because people just won't die. Kind of like how nobody notices the work that IT. professionals do until they stop and everything crashes.

In Seattle much has closed and a lot of restaurant workers have lost their jobs. The Uber drivers are fucked if they can't convert to food delivery. Grocery stores are constantly out of cleaning supplies, TP, milk and eggs. There are long lines to check out (1 hour plus) which is exactly how you spread COVID-19 around.

Buckle up buckaroos. It's going to be a bumpy ride.

Some links to info...
https://twitter.com/jeremycyoung/sta...75682643357696

https://mobile.twitter.com/jasonyano...77743653687296

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/a...23467b48e9ecf6

https://covid.idmod.org/#/

https://coronavirus.wa.gov/

Last edited by FreydNot; 03-18-2020 at 03:28 AM. Reason: Links
Old 03-18-2020, 03:05 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash_Bat View Post
I was fine, in fact I rarely ever get nervous but today I was nervous. Like there’s a virus that could possibly kill a lot of people, the economy is collapsing because of the virus and lockdowns and right now I feel lucky because I am still working and have income but that could disappear at a moments notice. I think of the people at risk and those who have no income due to the lockdowns and worry about them and everything that’s going to change. Everything escalated so quickly and if this does go on for months I do have a hard time imagining the world after this. Just my current thoughts.
I have the same thoughts.
Old 03-18-2020, 03:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

My main concern is how long will it be? How will we cope? What about school for my kid?
Will the social distancing help or will it just make our lives bad?
How will the mental health of all people be after the crisis?
I’m crying more now.