Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree260Likes

Old 03-18-2020, 03:33 AM   #11 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia resurrected View Post
My main concern is how long will it be?
Jeremy C. Young
@jeremycyoung
·
14h
But here's the catch: if we EVER relax suppression before a vaccine is administered to the entire population, COVID-19 comes right back and kills millions of Americans in a few months, the same as before.

Jeremy C. Young
@jeremycyoung
·
14h
After the 1st suppression period ends in July, we could probably lift restrictions for a month, followed by 2 more months of suppression, in a repeating pattern without triggering an outbreak or overwhelming the ventilator supply. Staggering breaks by city could do a bit better.

Jeremy C. Young
@jeremycyoung
·
14h
But we simply cannot EVER allow the virus to spread throughout the entire population in the way other viruses do, because it is just too deadly. If lots of people we know end up getting COVID-19, it means millions of Americans are dying. It simply can't be allowed to happen.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 08:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Ok i dont have any certainty, causxe at this moment Italy is waiting for the lockdownzs to actually start taking effect and since it isnt a quick measure , the curve needs time to be flattened, all i can say is what it has been doing so far.

A number of area, the earliest to be hit and to be locked down , have shown a strong slow down of the spreading of the virus. Some have went o days with no new casezs at all. So overall, it has an effect. We are far from the peak but it seems to be working.

The effects on the economy will be tough, even for a country like ours which is far smaller than the US, mostly cause it means lots of time with no work but it is probably the one way to avoid much worse effects on the sanitary system.

In the end it wont be easy, but saving the menmtal state and the individual health of each person is up to friends, loved ones and communities. Try to only chec k reliable and official sources of info, i learned at my own expense how toxic the internet can bew in this time, and keep posting and skyping and reaching out. I have a horrible day out of two usually having a fiance in the us and a father in his 70's here, but we try to keep each other smiling and grounded and do one day at a time.

It sucks but it can be survived. Try to hold on to that, its working for nme and we are in the 30 thousands right now.

Love all of you
Bucho and Lanfear like this.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

My instinct is to hole up in the sticks. But I have children and a wife who are not particularly keen on shitting in the woods. My wife is able to work from home with the children but I have to still go to work. I worry every day about bringing the virus home and killing my family. I’m not ok. And I don’t want to tell my wife that because I don’t want her to worry anymore than she is.
NotARegularMom likes this.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:25 AM   #14 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Ok so here is what we were told by our actual doctors. It might not delete the fear completely but i hope it helps leveling the head.

- the chances that the virus actually kills people with no pre existing condition are small. that doesnt mean it is not dangerous, it is. but young people, kids and healthier average joes can get out of it by self isolating

- the wash your hands precaution is effective. 20 second plus iof thorough washign when youve been outside, not touching your face are actually useful things

- a lot of people cant do home working and it sucks. In italy a ton of people had to basically kleep going to work or just take time off and hope your boss isnt a dick but in that case using said precautions, keeping distances and using a mask if you can find it , also decreases the possibility

like i said, its a sticky virus, but its not an ebndgame and it can be avoided. i know it aint much but it helped me
Bucho, Lanfear and juliofromny like this.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:41 AM   #15 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archimedes_Screw View Post
My instinct is to hole up in the sticks. But I have children and a wife who are not particularly keen on shitting in the woods. My wife is able to work from home with the children but I have to still go to work. I worry every day about bringing the virus home and killing my family. I’m not ok. And I don’t want to tell my wife that because I don’t want her to worry anymore than she is.
I think your family is too young and fit to die.
Maybe it's time to visit your father? Dont you hate him?
NotARegularMom likes this.

Last edited by Apia resurrected; 03-18-2020 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #16 (permalink)

I work in mental health and I've been home sick for a few days with a sore throat/fatigue, which depending on where you look can be some of the early symptoms of the virus. Not too worried about my own health (young enough that in all likelihood it won't do much to me, although who fucking knows) but I'm worried about when I can go back to work. I see geriatric patients daily, and I haven't read anywhere how long it takes after you get the virus to get to a point where you can't spread it.

Hopefully our government cuts us a check mighty quick because many people aren't going to be able to pay the bills come April 1st.

My mental state goes between a low level of panic and disbelief that any of this is real. I have a good support network between roommate who's a good friend and a girlfriend who lives 5 minutes away, so I haven't been feeling the negative effects of social isolation too badly. Spending my day playing tons of guitar and watching movies. All in all, I'm extremely lucky and am definitely taking more time out of my day to practice gratitude. Quarantined with kids does not sound as fun, stay strong everybody.
FreydNot and Lanfear like this.
Old 03-19-2020, 01:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Honestly not really ok.

I walked to the supermarket yesterday and seeing shops & restaurants with signs declaring them to be closed on government orders was really freaky.
On a positive note I finished a big crochet blanket, gotta keep myself distracted.
Keith, The Girl and NotARegularMom like this.
Old 03-19-2020, 02:22 AM   #18 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Now I've read everything and I have also big pharma channels and know a lot.
I miss the time of ignorance.
Old 03-19-2020, 12:42 PM   #19 (permalink)

Was getting anxious and like I said earlier I never get anxious. I’m worried we’re all going to be jobless at the end of this and we will still have many deaths. However, today I picked up some weed and decided to put my time into experimenting with making edibles and relaxing. Since “work from home” isn’t really keeping my attention. Maybe this is what we all need to to do, pick up a hobby to learn and give ourselves to it to calm our minds
Keith, The Girl, Lanfear and 1 others like this.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

i’m cool. as an agoraphobic, my day to day isn’t all that different. i find a lot of comfort that we’re all in this together; everybody is experiencing uncertainty. settling in to go with the flow and do what we can for people that need things we can provide.
Keith, The Girl, jcro21 and 3 others like this.