Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree260Likes

Old 12-09-2020, 12:06 PM   #141 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bag of lazers View Post
There have been anti-mask protests in Germany. They were of fucking course right wing conspiracy nuts according to this BBC report a few months back. Recent protests are way worse. They're basically American levels of stupid.
Not quite.
But we have idiots here, that’s for sure. I can’t read too much about because it would only make me mad. So I don’t even want to look it up too much.

I heard some of them compared their situation to Anne Frank or something.
People have it too good.
The Girl likes this.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 03:41 PM   #142 (permalink)

Christmas is cancelled

I think I made peace of not going home for the holidays back in August, when I realized that my family and I are on opposite sides politically around the pandemic (my sister in law even attended an anti-masker rally...). One thing I was really looking forward to is getting together, in small groups, with friends for the holidays, as we were allowed to gather in groups of up to 6 during the summer months and early fall.

The province of BC, where I live, announced that we're prohibited from gathering for holidays. Right now, we're allowed to interact only with the people we live, be it in public or private spaces.

Sucks but I get it. I just can't seem to find a way to cheer up and enjoy the holidays. I live with just my partner and the dog. I dont know how to make Christmas and New Year special when it will just be us at home, and I cook on the daily. I worry that this will end up feeling just like any regular night and I really need some (even if forced) joy this season.

So... what are you guys doing to celebrate this year and make it feel special even in lockdown? Need ideas that aren't "cook a festive meal" or "make holiday decorations" that internet keeps spewing out at me.
The Girl and shoebootie like this.
Old 12-10-2020, 03:59 PM   #143 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sex_n_diamonds View Post
I think I made peace of not going home for the holidays back in August, when I realized that my family and I are on opposite sides politically around the pandemic (my sister in law even attended an anti-masker rally...). One thing I was really looking forward to is getting together, in small groups, with friends for the holidays, as we were allowed to gather in groups of up to 6 during the summer months and early fall.

The province of BC, where I live, announced that we're prohibited from gathering for holidays. Right now, we're allowed to interact only with the people we live, be it in public or private spaces.

Sucks but I get it. I just can't seem to find a way to cheer up and enjoy the holidays. I live with just my partner and the dog. I dont know how to make Christmas and New Year special when it will just be us at home, and I cook on the daily. I worry that this will end up feeling just like any regular night and I really need some (even if forced) joy this season.

So... what are you guys doing to celebrate this year and make it feel special even in lockdown? Need ideas that aren't "cook a festive meal" or "make holiday decorations" that internet keeps spewing out at me.
I wish I could have an answer that makes you happy, but as much as we try the holidays just aren't the same this year. For me, what has worked (or at least been a band-aid) is doing the decorations as cliche as it is. I just keep putting up more and more xmas lights, I did the tree, I put little trees around the house too. I have a 5 year old daughter which makes me obligated to go through the motions more. But if you have the means, maybe going overboard with gifts for others, or adopting a kid from an angel tree could help your spirits? This one gives a gift to kids whose parents are incarcerated: https://vat.angeltreetool.org/

It sucks this year and we're all just trying to do what we can. So do the things you like, even if it doesn't feel the same... Here's a pic of my outside decorations. My partner has told me I should stop before it gets to overkill but this is the only thing sparking joy.

The Girl and sex_n_diamonds like this.
Old 12-10-2020, 09:59 PM   #144 (permalink)
2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I always enjoy the time at the end of the year a lot.
I have a lot of days off because I would otherwise loose them ( can't take them to the next year)
So I enjoy the quiet time. Walk a lot with my dog, watch the festive lighting, read, and try to not think about work.

I noticed that my mood improved a lot already.
Yesterday I went on a social distant walk with a friend in a small, beautiful city between our cities. It was dark and we saw a lot of beautiful decorations.

It gave me a push of happiness to see a person in real life in a save way.
The Girl likes this.
Old 12-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #145 (permalink)

Great, we are getting a new super lockdown in 2 days.
I'm pissed. I dont do anything. I stay at home or go to the forest.
I once met a friend on a social distance walk.
And still it's not enough.
My media tells me that it's all our own fault. Not mine I can tell you! I think its overall worse now that it's cold.
I will get vaccinated as soon as I can. If you want the vaccine easily explained I'm here for you. Me company gets a completely different product but it's also RNA based and I'm freshly updated on this technique. I can explain it in an easy way.
The Girl likes this.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:58 AM   #146 (permalink)

I was with my son to the doctor for a check up, unrelated to any infection or Covid, he is healthy.

They asked me at the door if we have any symptoms of infection, and I realized that I didn’t have any cold for at least a year.
I asked them how it is with colds now that everyone is wearing masks.
The assistant said that they notice a drastic decline of infections and other doctors also do. Kids don’t have colds so much, or infections with other dangerous bacteria. (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection is caused by a type of staph bacteria that's become resistant to many of the antibiotics used to treat ordinary staph infections.)
She said that it’s clear that masks and other hygiene measures work a lot and we as Western Europeans should learn a lot from it for the future.

So much for masks don’t work.
The Girl, Lanfear and shoebootie like this.
Old 12-20-2020, 04:40 AM   #147 (permalink)
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia resurrected View Post
I was with my son to the doctor for a check up, unrelated to any infection or Covid, he is healthy.

They asked me at the door if we have any symptoms of infection, and I realized that I didn’t have any cold for at least a year.
The assistant said that they notice a drastic decline of infections and other doctors also do. Kids don’t have colds so much, or infections with other dangerous bacteria. (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) infection is caused by a type of staph bacteria that's become resistant to many of the antibiotics used to treat ordinary staph infections.)
She said that it’s clear that masks and other hygiene measures work a lot and we as Western Europeans should learn a lot from it for the future.

Yoooooo I have definitely noticed this in my life as well. No one in my family has been sick since January, when my daughter and I had the flu. In the beginning of corona I stocked up on medicines expecting we would get sick, that’s what people were told to prepare for. The only medicine I’ve ended up using is pedialyte and that’s just for my hangover sometimes.
Old 12-20-2020, 07:10 AM   #148 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apia resurrected View Post

They asked me at the door if we have any symptoms of infection, and I realized that I didn’t have any
cold for at least a year.

Fully can confirm

I apparently have very tiny tubes going to my sinus cavities so for my whole life every time I got a cold chances were high it would turn into annoying headaches because the tubes swell up way too fast and it gets infected.
So decongestant medicine is always close by and if I could write fan letters to Sinupret & Gelomyrtol I would.

But haven't had to use either since March - yay for healthy breathing.
The Girl and Apia resurrected like this.
Old 12-24-2020, 06:18 AM   #149 (permalink)

Here is an interview with the Biontech CEO and what he says about the mutation:

We have seen news of this faster spreading variant – a mutation of the virus. From what you know, is your vaccine efficient against this variant?
We don't know so far, because we did not yet test. In the next two weeks, we will build a piece of this new virus variant and evaluate whether immune responses against our vaccines are able to inactivate that.
Scientifically, the likelihood is high that this is the case because even though this variant has multiple mutations, only 1% of the relevant protein has changed. That means 99% are still the same, and we know that the immune response that our vaccine use is attacking this protein from multiple sides.

https://www.dw.com/en/biontech-ceo-t...w_QmFvcjHXAYVI

It’s somehow also cool to see that he is a not fancy guy, a full blood scientist. It’s so refreshing to see someone who is so the opposite of an egomaniac speak.

Last edited by Apia resurrected; 12-24-2020 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-13-2021, 03:42 AM   #150 (permalink)

I feel bad today because now I believe it will never end.
I was allowed out and am again forced into home office.

Home office in my case is= longer hours, frustration and no fun. Its been a year like that.