Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 11-16-2009, 10:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

I created another website

I just launched another website. The idea behind this one is to give away prizes. The first prize I'm offering is $100 cash.

You enter by using your Twitter account http://www.mycontestsite.com/Contest...eepstakes.aspx

The program automatically sends out 1 tweet when you enter asking others to join but you can turn that off if you log in first and change your account settings.

You also get more entries if others join using a special link that's added to your tweet. Official rules on the website give more detail.

Check it out and let me know what you think. Even if you don't enter, I'm curious what your feedback is.

http://www.mycontestsite.com
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

I enter a lot of contests. I can see some potential for this kind of webapp.
A lot of companies I see are going with facebook and twitter for contests now because it advertises for them.

I don't like it personally because it has turned these social networking tools into big spam machines. In my small network on facebook I get 15 messages a day about who entered to win a Wii or Imac.

I also see a lot of posts on twitter about contests from bloggers.

... your site works fine. I just don't like the trend. I guess you can't do anything without being spammed by advertising.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexas View Post
because it has turned these social networking tools into big spam machines.
Spam makes you rich.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzagama View Post
Spam makes you rich.
Doesn't make me rich... not when only US residents are eligible to enter.

Boo.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

spam blows
Old 11-18-2009, 02:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator
2023 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2022 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2021 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexas View Post
I guess you can't do anything without being spammed by advertising.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufio View Post
spam blows
So you consider an optional tweet spam?
Old 11-18-2009, 03:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer24-hour Marathon 2017 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelApproved View Post
For me it is at least a kind of spam cause it shows up in my timeline and yes I do realize that I decided to follow that person so its my choice to see the tweet but still it feels a bit spammy. And as far as it being optional - one of the points in the contest is to get additional chances by having other people join via you so I assume a majority will tweet it.

My main point is that I received some twitter spam from a friends account that was recenty hacked and this tweet looks basically identical so my first instinct on seeing it was to assume that its also spam.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanfear View Post
For me it is at least a kind of spam cause it shows up in my timeline and yes I do realize that I decided to follow that person so its my choice to see the tweet but still it feels a bit spammy. And as far as it being optional - one of the points in the contest is to get additional chances by having other people join via you so I assume a majority will tweet it.

My main point is that I received some twitter spam from a friends account that was recenty hacked and this tweet looks basically identical so my first instinct on seeing it was to assume that its also spam.
Fair point. Maybe I should change the tweet to tone down it down a little.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelApproved View Post
Not one I sign up for no. Following your twitter which I requested is not the spam.
A lot of contest sites just like yours do the bonus entries if you re-tweet. So I spam all of my friends interested or not, the ones that sign up spam a bunch of people.

From your site: More ways to win
Part of the entry process sends a tweet from your Twitter account with a special entry link. You receive an extra entry into the game for every person that enters using your special link.

It's great for the advertising. I'm just saying for me it makes me enjoy twitter/facebook less.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'm all for people trying to ruin twitter, so good idea for a website.