Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 03-10-2009, 01:29 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marina View Post
Dr. BF was unemployed for a few months right after we graduated from college. He didn't get unemployment because he was an independent contractor. I couldn't have afforded to take over his share if I wanted to, but I was planning on leaving him as soon as he couldn't cover his portion if he still didn't have a job. Fortunately, I never had to go through with it. He paid his half out of savings and then he found a better job.

I think that there's a difference for me between someone who is contributing what they are able to contribute to the household and someone who is not doing anything. Housework is a valuable service, I think that if I was covering 100% of the household costs, I would want my partner to at least return the favor by cleaning or cooking or something.

IMHO, if I want to pay for someone to sit around and play video games, I'll adopt a teenage boy, but a full grown person who is incapable of supporting or caring for themselves has no business in my bed.
I was in this situation with my ex. I worked and she took care of the housework/errands etc. I thought it was a fine arrangement. I could not imagine her just living there free-loading. I also don't think she would fathom doing that. That is just nuts.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:39 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapist View Post
I was in this situation with my ex. I worked and she took care of the housework/errands etc. I thought it was a fine arrangement. I could not imagine her just living there free-loading. I also don't think she would fathom doing that. That is just nuts.
My first ex that I lived with contributed absolutely nothing to bills due to the fact that she couldn't keep a job long enough to make any decent money. In the stints that she didn't have work (due to the fact she was a superbitch that never realized she was constantly getting fired/quitting jobs because she was a horrible, horrible person), she wouldn't even do much to keep things nice around the house. Let's just say I'm glad to be rid of her and wish I saw things then as I see them now... I was so incredibly blind to the shit I was putting up with back then.

If you're living with someone you need to contribute to both the cost of living together and the quality of life in the household. You can get away with doing just one of those for a short while, but eventually you'll need to do both or things will turn ugly.

"I hate everyone equally..."

Holy shit, awesome:
www.heavymetalgeek.com
Holy shit, I'm in a band:
www.reverbnation.com/caligarimetal
Stupid, stupid shit I say:
www.twitter.com/skizzbot

Old 03-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #23 (permalink)

We just had 6 people get fired at work for unemployment fraud..they had all collected 26 weeks of it for last year, even though we had a good year and were only laid off for one week..one of em was the union rep on 2nd shift and another one was a lady who had collected 26 weeks every year since 2003...yeesh
Old 03-10-2009, 03:49 PM   #24 (permalink)

Jesus Christ... they should have to pay it all back. Isn't unemployment fraud a felony? Nice one.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter_chick View Post
our company is doing an awesome program for the next 6 months.
They are taking away half of our shifts, but the government is paying us unemployment for those shifts (55%)
so we only have to work a couple days a week, and only losing a small chunk of money! this summer is gonna rock
Lucky. We have "Voluntary Time Off" where if it's slow (and it is every summer) we can leave work early but we don't get paid for it. It's great for a few days until i get a paycheck for 100 bucks lol.

I've never had to apply for unemployment before, i take it it doesn't matter how long you've been at a job (once you're past the required amount to qualify)?

As far as my situation, we both have full time jobs. I take care of 90% of the cleaning/cooking/"womanly" duties, and buy most of the groceries out of my pocket. He buys most (not all) of my drinks/food when we go out. I thought this was a pretty even deal until I just typed it out.
...Then again, I drink a fuckload so.. all good!
Old 03-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartnihilism View Post
As far as my situation, we both have full time jobs. I take care of 90% of the cleaning/cooking/"womanly" duties, and buy most of the groceries out of my pocket. He buys most (not all) of my drinks/food when we go out. I thought this was a pretty even deal until I just typed it out.
...Then again, I drink a fuckload so.. all good!
This is pretty much my situation. The bf doesn't live with me but I live alone and he doesn't so he's at my place most of the time. He's so concerned about becoming a "squatter boyfriend" as he puts it that there is ALWAYS booze in my freezer and he won't let me pay for anything when we're out. This is not a very good arrangement for him as I can easily put back a $40 bar tab by myself on a typical night out but whateves.
Old 03-10-2009, 03:55 PM   #27 (permalink)

I applied for a food stamps in my area, but they were denied because I was enrolled in a university (just 6 hours!) and to be a student on food stamps you have to be working at least 20 hours a week or be a single mom. if I were to drop out of school, I would be eligible for about $180 a month in benefits. it's a little counter-intuitive because obviously someone working 0 hours a week would need help more than someone working 20 hours a week, but I guess the state figures that everyone in school is probably a trust fund baby or otherwise has some kind of family support.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:05 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by punk'n View Post
This is not a very good arrangement for him as I can easily put back a $40 bar tab by myself on a typical night out but whateves.
Only $40? Come on now... you can do better than that!
Old 03-10-2009, 04:14 PM   #29 (permalink)
24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzbot View Post
Only $40? Come on now... you can do better than that!
You're right! I meant $40000000!!!!!

Hehehe.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:34 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotparker View Post
I applied for a food stamps in my area, but they were denied because I was enrolled in a university (just 6 hours!) and to be a student on food stamps you have to be working at least 20 hours a week or be a single mom. if I were to drop out of school, I would be eligible for about $180 a month in benefits. it's a little counter-intuitive because obviously someone working 0 hours a week would need help more than someone working 20 hours a week, but I guess the state figures that everyone in school is probably a trust fund baby or otherwise has some kind of family support.
And no one believed me when I said the REC Center was going to close soon. Oh wells...

Blue Cross is hiring again in our area (at least that's the word through the grapevine). You should jump on over to the website and put in an application.