Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 06-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

iMac or Mac Mini

Hello everyone,

For the past couple of weeks I've been looking to buy a Mac desktop. Currently I own a white macbook (Late 2009).
After visiting an Apple Store, I've narrowed my choices down to two models.
The basic i5 iMac (1080 euros for students) or the upgraded i5 Mac Mini with wireless keyboard an magic trackpad (940 euros for students) .

I mainly will be using my Mac for making projects for school, some light photo-editing (iPhoto) and watching video.

What would you kind people recommend me?

Also,do you expect any new iMacs or Mac Mini's in the near future?
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Unless you have a damn good reason for buying a mac, don't buy a mac.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
54-hour Marathon 2013 Kickstarter Backer

We put a Mini mac in here in the art department 2009 and it has been running like a top ever since. The machine is used mainly for data entry and some light internet usage. It isn't used like a portable machine but like a desktop computer so if you need it to go portable you should get the lap top. If it's staying stationary then you can hook up a nice screen of your choice; I run the Dell flat screens in the art department and they are great. The Apple screens are always nice but you can get a quality screen for less money.

I'm not a very technical user...I don't do specs, I have a technician who guides me so I can't help you on that end...sorry
Old 06-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

For the past three years I've been using my MacBook with any program ever crashing on it. I also work a lot more efficient on my Mac when compared to my windows 7 machine.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:19 PM   #5 (permalink)

Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone

Might hold off on a purchase.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #6 (permalink)

No.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Yo, the main reason people buy Mac Minis (which aren't many in the store) is that they already have existing PC hardware around their house, and want to use that stuff to save them money. In the long run, the iMac is a lot faster and a lot better to use for not much more money.
You also said watching video.. and I assume the cost of the Mini doesn't include one of the monitors, which of course you get with the iMac. Though you have the bonus of plugging the headless Mini into a TV, you can do this with the iMac as well, and very soon you'll be able to send stuff wirelessly to your TV, mirror your display on the TV through Apple TV.

Of course I'd also recommend AppleCare, because for the iMac, while it's a great solid machine, repairs are a little spendy because it's an all in one, and One to One also to transfer the data off your old MacBook, and you get a years worth of personal training sessions to teach you the ins and outs of the Mac.

Old 06-22-2012, 12:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Both machines are great and both can handle iPhoto with ease, the mini is obviously cheaper and is pretty easy to throw in a bag and take with you if you want to work somewhere else - it also has an HDMI output, so can be plugged straight into a tv without adapters.
As someone pointed out both will soon be able to run to tv wirelessly via AirPlay - though that will require buying an Apple TV box. The decision really breaks down into price, whether you need portability, and whether you already own a monitor .
Old 06-22-2012, 01:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Both machines are great and both can handle iPhoto with ease, the mini is obviously cheaper and is pretty easy to throw in a bag and take with you if you want to work somewhere else - it also has an HDMI output, so can be plugged straight into a tv without adapters.
As someone pointed out both will soon be able to run to tv wirelessly via AirPlay - though that will require buying an Apple TV box. The decision really breaks down into price, whether you need portability, and whether you already own a monitor .