Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 06-30-2009, 08:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Versus

What is the difference between 1080p and 1080i?

I know I could look it up but I just wanted an excuse to start a new thread. Know-it-alls unite!!
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:18 AM   #2 (permalink)

Ta-da

2. Why 1080p is theoretically better than 1080i
1080i, the former king of the HDTV hill, actually boasts an identical 1,920x1,080 resolution but conveys the images in an interlaced format (the i in 1080i). In a tube-based television, otherwise known as a CRT, 1080i sources get "painted" on the screen sequentially: the odd-numbered lines of resolution appear on your screen first, followed by the even-numbered lines--all within 1/30 of a second. Progressive-scan formats such as 480p, 720p, and 1080p convey all of the lines of resolution sequentially in a single pass, which makes for a smoother, cleaner image, especially with sports and other motion-intensive content. As opposed to tubes, microdisplays (DLP, LCoS, and LCD rear-projection) and other fixed-pixel TVs, including plasma and LCD flat-panel, are inherently progressive in nature, so when the incoming source is interlaced, as 1080i is, they convert it to progressive scan for display.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Okay, so the picture on your tv is made up of a bunch of lines, okay? 1080p and 1080i both consist of the same number of lines, when you get into like 720p that's a different number of lines and a lower resolution. With 1080i half the lines are displayed and then a fraction of a second later the other half are displayed to make up your picture, with 1080p all of them show up at once. If you got an HD box for tv it's broadcast in 1080i so that's what you need that for but some providers are starting to offer on demand stuff in 1080p, gaming systems and blu-ray can do 1080p. At the end of the day a lot of the HD content you end up with isn't the resolution you're tricked into thinking it is anyways, it's upscaled bullshit. That's the retard explanation.
Old 06-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

You guys are fabulous...
Old 07-01-2009, 12:42 AM   #5 (permalink)
2019 Marathon Kickstarter Backer

Quote:
Originally Posted by banisters_mind View Post
You guys are fabulous...
[No Homo]

1080i transmits 1920x540 resolution 60 times a second. It takes two of those to paint your full screen (assuming you aren't using a old CRT)

1080p transmits 1920x1080 resolution 60 times a second. You get a full res new picture 60 times each second.

720p transmits 1280x720 resolution 60 times a second.

In general the "p" formats are better for sports and video games since the action is smoother.

For film and TV, 60fps is a waste since the source material is generally 24 or 30fps.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:15 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have a 32 inch LG LCD flat panel that is about 4 years old (maybe 5). It was only recently, when I bought my first HD box for it that I started to take note of contrast ratios and picture quality because I noticed a far superior image once I started watching Digital TV. A little label comes up in the top right hand corner of the screen telling me the image quality, which - when I am using the HD box is 1080i. Beautiful image btw, something I never thought my TV was capable of.

Curiously however, whenever I am watching cable - Foxtel as it is known down unda - the image is transmitted at 576i (I think) which pisses me off because Foxtel always markets itself as being High Definition. I now know that is a bunch of porkies.

It's a question I have always wanted to have answered and I thank you all for contributing thus far to this discussion. And, no, I ain't no homo...but my mother always said that there was nothing wrong in choosing a vernacular of color and life rather than the mundane/urbane speak society seems to have lapsed into in this day and age.

(maybe that does mean I am...)