Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 06-09-2009, 07:10 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajizzle View Post
invest in a 32 gig 3GS, but the paranoia of losing not only a phone but an iPod all at once kind of freaks me out.
You can get a phone for about $40 per month.

2 years = 24 months

24* 40 = about $1k

An iphone plan with enough texting to satisfy a kid is around $100/month

You must commit to two years so you're looking at $2400 plus $300 for the actual phone and about $40 for the privilidge of signing up.

Also, the following two januarys and junes there will be a beter model, in addition to the $2730 commitment.

For buying one of these, you'll pay $1730 more than you would for just a phone, and be envious of late-adopters for 18 months.

The 3gs isn't $300. It's $1700 (but only $1699 in marketing speak).

don't get me wrong. I'm tempted too. Just not tempted enough. yet
Old 06-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #22 (permalink)

The Joy of Tech comic... laughter is the best tech support.

I feel those numbers are off, because you have to consider that you are probably already paying around that much ($40 a month for a single line phone plan) for A phone anyway. If anything, it may be +$30 for the data plan. Unless you forgo a cell phone, then youre the weird guy who always has to borrow someones phone =p

I have a 3 phone family plan. i pay $100 a month for 550 minutes + free nights and weekends (9pm-9am) and i have over 1000 minutes in rollover. i turned off texting and only have the data plan. Thats $50 for a family plan, $10 for the 3rd phone, $30 for data, and $10 in taxes, etc. So the difference for me is $30. With AT&T we can call each other or any other AT&T phones for free. If I was using my phone for business or if i was still young and single I'd probably have to get an unlimited plan, but as it is, I'm married and old.

Aquaponics in Paradise
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:41 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sajizzle View Post
The extra $1700 seems to make sense if you include the full functions of the iPhone as the only phone, media player, camera, GPS, and portable video game system I will own, not to mention all the other shit it'll be able to do that'll make my life a lot easier.
You get the game system and media player with the money you already spent on a touch.

For $1700 you get access to the wireless internet and don't have to carry a phone seperate from the ipod. You also get a GPS that is too small and cumbersome to use in the rare circumstance that you're driving in an unfamiliar place, but I'll give you credit for having enough reason to dismiss that non feature. You also get a camera that would have been the shiz-nit in 2002, wrapped up in the same package.

Like I said in my earlier post: it seems great if you could use it to send the web to your laptop at decent speed and get rid of the broadband at home (which it can't). I just can't see spending nearly $2k for an antiquated shitty version of the internet available on a low-res screen in the non-event that you can't get to a hot spot and you must have access to the web right fucking now.

I've read stories about ATT having much faster wireless internet adn tethering in the near future. If that comes to pass, I'll be the first in line.

It comes down to how much money you have rattling around in your pockets. If i could afford it painlessly I'd get one tomorrow. Personally, I'd miss $100/month and think it's a waste of money considering the service that ATT is currently offering.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:03 PM   #24 (permalink)

I will be getting the 3Gs. I currently have a POS HTC 8525 so this is a huge upgrade to me.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:22 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbent View Post
so the 1mp upgrade from 2mp to 3.2mp is enough for you?
Video dummy.
I don't need gobs of shit on my phone either. I carry enough music to get me through the day. Not my entier collection.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 PM   #26 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer

i got my 8gb 3g for christmas and it works just fine, getting one right now just seems like such a waste of money, the only thing that really attracts me is the 32gbs of memory (i have less than 100mbs of free space left on mine) and of course the camera upgrade, i wish they let the regular 3g model take video specially since the camera can actually do it, oh well guess its just a way to sell more iphones, i'll just hold off for another year until the new one comes out
Old 06-09-2009, 09:54 PM   #27 (permalink)

The faster processor, RAM, and large drive would be really nice. From what I understand, webpages render a lot faster on the 3Gs, and I can slow my phone to a crawl with all the crap I do on it, but I'm not paying to upgrade my 3G early. I'm not even sure I will upgrade to 3.0 any time soon. My phone is hacked into a workhorse, and 3.0 seems filled with a lot of fluff. The only thing I really like from 3.0 is that the iTunes app will support audiobook downloads.

As far as cost, my last phone was the shittiest Verizon phone that came free with the cheapest contract. The contract was $50 with no data or texting. With texting, taxes and fees, I was paying $65 per month, just phone and 250 texts, no net access, email or anything. That was the best deal I could find from any provider. My iPhone is, what, $15 more? (It's paid automatically and I don't even know what the exact bill is).
Old 06-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #28 (permalink)

My bill right now for the original iPhone starts at $85 a month. Add the random international texts and it hovers around $90. With the 3Gs it'll bump up to $95 a month. Putting my bill around $100. It's weird how a $90 bill, in my head, isn't that bad, but put it over the $100 mark and it seems a little ridiculous. Glad i work for the cable company and get free cable and internet. I don't know how y'all afford all this shit.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:54 PM   #29 (permalink)
RAM

I have a two month old 8 GB 3G. I do intend on getting a 3GS.. I'm not that excited about having to pay 399 for it.

The updates on the 3GS are impressive, although not astonishing.

It's a huge disappointment that AT&T won't be able to support the MMS or the internet tethering just yet.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:58 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech View Post
it seems great if you could use it to send the web to your laptop at decent speed and get rid of the broadband at home (which it can't).
This won't happen anytime soon. It would be severely cost prohibitive. Do you only use 6gb a month?