Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Angry is iPod shufle anti-podcast?

I just tried to get itunes to sync podcasts with my ipod shuffle, and no luck.

Podcast options are not shown in preferences, like with full size ipods.

There is no listing for podcasts in the autofill drop down.

I tried making a smart-playlist that included only the genre "Podcast", which worked. When I went to the autofill drop-down, my podcast playlist was there, but when I tried to autofill from that playlist all it did was clear out my shuffle.

the only way I've been able to get podcasts on the shuffle is drag and drop, which is a pain in the ass when I'm in a hurry to run out the door in the morning. It was a piece of cake with the full size ipod, just plug in the cable and it downloads recent podcasts while I get ready for work. My windows-based phone and the shuffle require me to sit down at my PC and drag what I want to take with me into the appropriate folders. I guess I'm spoiled by the simplicity of the full size ipod.

Anyone know how to get itunes to autofill my shuffle with recent katg episodes when I plug in the shuffle?

I am waiting for a new generation of ipod to be released before I replace my full-size ipod which was stolen. It has been a real pain trying to take new katg episodes with me for my drive to work or otherwise without a "real" ipod.
Old 07-09-2006, 02:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdrafttech
I just tried to get itunes to sync podcasts with my ipod shuffle, and no luck.

Podcast options are not shown in preferences, like with full size ipods.

There is no listing for podcasts in the autofill drop down.

I tried making a smart-playlist that included only the genre "Podcast", which worked. When I went to the autofill drop-down, my podcast playlist was there, but when I tried to autofill from that playlist all it did was clear out my shuffle.

the only way I've been able to get podcasts on the shuffle is drag and drop, which is a pain in the ass when I'm in a hurry to run out the door in the morning. It was a piece of cake with the full size ipod, just plug in the cable and it downloads recent podcasts while I get ready for work. My windows-based phone and the shuffle require me to sit down at my PC and drag what I want to take with me into the appropriate folders. I guess I'm spoiled by the simplicity of the full size ipod.

Anyone know how to get itunes to autofill my shuffle with recent katg episodes when I plug in the shuffle?

I am waiting for a new generation of ipod to be released before I replace my full-size ipod which was stolen. It has been a real pain trying to take new katg episodes with me for my drive to work or otherwise without a "real" ipod.
Buy a real iPod...

http://macs.about.com/od/ipod/qt/ipod_audiobooks.htm

Quote:
The iTunes Autofill feature will not add audiobooks or podcasts to the iPod shuffle, so you will need to add them manually.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

There is a program you can download that you put on your MP3 player itself. When you plug it into your computer it will pop up to start. It will then scan for podcasts and download them onto your mp3 player. Unfortunetly you have to be there at the comp to tell it to run and download, but it does remove some of the hassle. Of course I have no idea if this will work on the shuffle.

http://www.podcastready.com/site4/index.php
Old 07-09-2006, 04:35 PM   #4 (permalink)

I had a shuffle and I was able to listen to podcasts. I've always been a fan of winamp's plugin that does basically what itunes does.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)

what I used to do was choose the podcasts I wanted the night before, then find the file in my library list and rename the artist to 01, 02, etc. and then drag em. that way, the podcasts are first, before the music. Once the podcasts finish, I can switch ti shuffle mode and just listen to music.

But yes, its annoying because there is no screen. Also, there is no lock key, so if you skip by accident, you have to start over from the beginning which is torture.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

that's actually a good idea. I listen to shit all day long at work. I'd usually have enough podcasts loaded on there anyway that I just shuffled and listened to whatever popped up.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:33 PM   #7 (permalink)

i thought shuffles were all solid state, with like a limit of 32 megs of buffer....so anything up to 32 megs would go, but less wouldnt. moth KATG shows are like 40 megs. i might be wrong, but sounds like its time to upgrade, throw your shuffle up on ebay and buy a new iPod
Old 07-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky
i thought shuffles were all solid state, with like a limit of 32 megs of buffer....so anything up to 32 megs would go, but less wouldnt. moth KATG shows are like 40 megs. i might be wrong, but sounds like its time to upgrade, throw your shuffle up on ebay and buy a new iPod
The nano is worth it, as you get the advantages of the full iPod, but it's small (slightly larger than the Shuffle), has a screen, and isn't all that expensive.

The shuffle is good for what it's marketed as. Go for a run, and just have something small and something that can survive a bit of rough play.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky
Apple has some refurb 20gb 4th generation units for $169 for B/W and $199 for color.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...m=SpecialDeals
Old 07-09-2006, 10:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippi ben Kippod
Apple has some refurb 20gb 4th generation units for $169 for B/W and $199 for color.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPL...m=SpecialDeals
To be honest, unless you're watching video, maybe then go for the latest iPod. The black and white one really is a good iPod, and if it wasn't for the fact I dropped mine a few too many times and broke the screen, I'd still be using it as my main iPod.

$169 is a pretty decent deal.