Latest Episode
Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Old 07-11-2006, 10:28 PM   #1 (permalink)

job advice?

**Sorry for the long story, but I need to unload and need advice.**

Have you ever done something stupid and then thought what was the point of that? Today I got a written warning at work because someone at one of our stores complained to HR about me being rude. (Stupid gash couldn't plug 1 cable into another in the 40 minutes I talked to her. Maybe if she could do something simple like plug a cable in, in under 40 minutes, I wouldn't have gotten so short towards the end.)

The little meeting for the warning was no big deal. Only alarming part was the document I had to sign said they could fire me if there is another incident, and here's the funny part..."or if they even percieve I might not be willing to help a customer."
Example in my mind: "Wearing that color of shirt doesn't look like you want to help the customer. You're fired."

I know this is something HR wrote, not what my boss thinks.
I know everyone is replacable, but I'm in a lucky position where few people know how to do what I do. I don't want to be specific, but there may be only a couple hundred people in the country that have learned to do what I do. So I know they don't want to let me go, I'd be fairly hard to replace.

Here's where I got stupid.
After I sat and stewed about it the rest of the day. My bright idea after my boss left, I just packed up all of my stuff and took it home. Left just an empty cubicle. Calendar, coffee mug, coasters, and glass I use for tea gone. Speakers and dock for my PDA gone, air purifier gone. I've been here over 2 years, so all the little awards and everything you get over that amount of time and put on your cubicle walls...gone.

I guess it's a little passive aggressive attempt to show who is really in charge. e.g. Don't screw with me, I won't take it. Trying to make them think I'm going to leave, when I don't really intend to. (Surprisingly I've used this tactic at another job in the past and got a raise and better schedule.)
Not sure it works for this situation anymore.

Now I'm home and reflecting on this.
Was that a really stupid move? I'm wondering if it will make things worse?
Now that I think about it more, nobody really had a choice in the whole thing. The chick complained to HR, HR has to write me up, my boss has to have me sign the thing because HR told him to, not because he wants to.

But I'm also thinking, maybe I should get another job. I doubt they ever would, but if they fired me how would I get another job after being fired for a customer service complaint? Wouldn't it also stand to reason I can't afford careerwise to stay here and allow the possibility of getting a complaint again because I wouldn't be able to get a new job.

If you made it this far thanks for reading.
Any advice, or am I too late and I've fucked it up worse?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm a girl, so I give girlie advice...

But if you have your boss' home #, I would call him/her before they get into work tomorrow (if you think they are cool enough to handle it) - that way they don't blow a gasket when they see your empty desk.

Otherwise - I work for a job sourcing company, if you are that good, post your resume on monster and careerbuilder and I'm sure our resume searchers will pass your info to our IT customers

Good fucking luck man
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm a field tech for gov't radar systems. My boss has been in tech for a long time, at one point, he was the only person who was qualified to repair a certain system we had. He knew he would be hard to replace and got lippy. He no longer works with us.

Turns out they trusted that two other people could be trained eventually with enough time and money thrown at the problem.

Just remember...Dificult to replace...doesn't mean impossible to replace.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger678
Just remember...Dificult to replace...doesn't mean impossible to replace.
I don't question that for a moment, I know anyone is replacable. I'm not too worried about that.

My main concern is whether I can play this off and have it not come off as obviously manipulative?
or whether I should even stay and risk at some point in the future getting another complaint and getting fired.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:21 PM   #5 (permalink)

Job Advice

My thoughts? Everyone in your place of business thinks you are a wacko for pulling the moving box trick. I would think at this point, if you want to stay, I would just go to work and pretend nothing happens. The lack of stuff on the walls will subtlely remind everyone that you are a loose cannon and not to cross you, but it won't be an "in your face" type of move. I'd say stay at the job and if you get fired, whatever. We have a 5% unemployment rate, so you can get another, probably better job.

Life is good in the USA.
Old 07-11-2006, 11:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexas
My main concern is whether I can play this off and have it not come off as obviously manipulative?
But it is. obviously. manipulative.
You are grown, but what you did is still called a tantrum. You didn't like being disciplined, so you picked up your toys and went stomping home.
Fortunately, you didn't 'cause a scene', but you're still going to look like a bit of a fool tomorrow.

Having to sign something that says you can get fired next time or for a perceived wrong sounds a bit extreme - yes. It's not a good time getting reprimanded - yes. But there are ways to deal with the situation other than attempting a power trip (which could and almost should blow up in your face). I think when it worked for you before, it was a lucky break. I don't doubt that you're talented, but attitude also plays a large part in work dynamics.

First, ask yourself if you deserved your warning. Did you get rude with a customer? 40 minutes - smourty minutes. Yes or No?

Yes? Then take your lumps. No? Discuss it with your boss. Be mature, take responsibility for what you did do, but explain your feelings/actions. Also, discuss the two strikes and your out policy. Let him/her know if you are worried about it.

Bring the bulk of your stuff back tomorrow. Then the rest the next day. You don't have to discuss it with anyone if you don't want. Sometimes people heated, whatev. But if your boss did notice it, you might want to discuss it with him/her. Doesn't have to be some long heart-to-heart, but let him know that you have been a dedicated good employ for two years and that yesterday frustrated you. (This is the point where you can either take your lumps or explain your side calmly).

Finally - go on with your day. Hope for the best. Control your attitude.
I doubt you'll be fired for one complaint. Be on good behavior and don't get another one. If you do.... find a new job. You wouldn't be the first person to be fired.

Last edited by Annie; 07-11-2006 at 11:46 PM.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Annie.
I think I'm gonna go with Richards plan though. Pretend it was not related. If anyone comments, just say, "it's all cool". I just got tired of all the clutter and cleaned everything out." Fresh start.
Might look off, but plausible.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastTexas
Thanks Annie.
I think I'm gonna go with Richards plan though. Pretend it was not related. If anyone comments, just say, "it's all cool". I just got tired of all the clutter and cleaned everything out." Fresh start.
Might look off, but plausible.
It'll be more plausible if you actually bring in different junk with you tomorrow morning. Change of scenery.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Here's where I got stupid.
After I sat and stewed about it the rest of the day. My bright idea after my boss left, I just packed up all of my stuff and took it home. Left just an empty cubicle. Calendar, coffee mug, coasters, and glass I use for tea gone. Speakers and dock for my PDA gone, air purifier gone. I've been here over 2 years, so all the little awards and everything you get over that amount of time and put on your cubicle walls...gone.
I wouldn't bring anything back. Less to pack when they do fire you. Also expect to get an "assistant" real soon. If it were me, I'd start shopping my skill set around. Nothing drastic yet, but I'd feel the market out.

And if they asked me why my cubicle was empty, I'd just give them a big smile and say "Spring Cleaning."

Last edited by Kippi ben Kippod; 07-12-2006 at 12:59 AM.
Old 07-12-2006, 01:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Dude, sit down and watch Office Space and then act. If you don't come up with any ideas, ask William for help. He'll say something deep and you can say that to your boss if he fires you and you can gat your job back.