Play

Go Back   Keith and The Girl Forums Keith and The Girl Forums Talk Shite

Talk Shite General discussion

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By The Girl
  • 2 Post By jcro21
  • 1 Post By The Girl
  • 1 Post By word

Old 02-12-2017, 03:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

July travel help

Hello forum folks,

I have been a long time listener of KATG, but haven't been on the forums at all, mostly because I listen to the show during my commute, and driving and posting is a really bad idea...

Last fall, I managed (quite luckily) to get tickets to Hamilton at retail prices. The show is a matinee on a Wednesday in July, and I am now trying to find lodging. Ideally, we would like to drive down from Maine on Tuesday, stay the night, and drive back after the show. I am looking for the local insight as to the best options for this trip.

Should we stay right near the theater which is on W 46th, or should we stay further away, and use the train/bus system? Are there any recommendations for a hotel, or should we explore airbnb options... Our 14 year old some will be with us, so that has to be considered as well.

Feeling a bit overwhelmed, and I would appreciate any advice anyone can provide.

Thanks in advance.
Mike.
(Offline)   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

Normally I would say ride the train. It's part of visiting NY.

But you're driving from Maine to NYC for one day. Am I getting that right? I don't think you'll have that much time or energy.

That means you'll be in times square which is the most touristy. If that's the case then that'll be the version of NY that you see on this particular trip.

If you're driving in you'll probably have to park in a lot. That might be worth doing a little research to find the most affordable around your hotel. You won't need it while you're here.

If you find that hotels/air Bnbs are too expensive then consider driving to Long Island City (LIC) to park the car and get a place. It's not far at all and you'll get to ride the train to the show.

Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
memecherry likes this.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Having done similar trips with my family, I can say that the most overwhelming part is driving in Manhattan, especially around times square. If you get a hotel near your theatre, it's going to be a pain to drive in, expensive to park, but you'll have an easier time getting to the show. A hotel outside of times square would make the driving/parking potentially easier, but you'd have to take the subway or a cab to the theatre. I wouldn't be scared off by the subway, it's an important part of the experience. And fun when you're not doing it every day.
The Girl and memecherry like this.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chamsa! Chamsa!

Yes! Jcro21! I forgot that driving in manhattan is a thing! It's a nightmare even to NYers. Good reminder.

I double down on LIC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
memecherry likes this.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
2020 Marathon Kickstarter Backer24-hour Marathon 2018 Fundraiser Backer47-hour Marathon 2016 Kickstarter Backer57-hour Marathon 2015 Kickstarter Backer38-hour Marathon 2014 Kickstarter Backer

BigDeuce did you ever find a hotel. Im traveling to the city in late April im looking for a hotel recommendation?
The Girl likes this.